Monday, November 21, 2005

Yahoo - Week Two

We again want to thank everyone for their continued prayers for Paul. We have received so many blessings and we used Sunday to sit quietly and reflect on all the great out pouring of love shown to this family. We prayed that all of you will be blessed abundantly for these acts of charity.

We met with the pulmonologist (lungs) and he said that Paul has been fighting pneumonia and his white blood count is back down, which means the antibiotics are working. He no longer has a fever either. He is still heavily sedated at this time, something they have had to do to control the pain. Paul was showing signs of distress, so the meds have been increased to help him manage the pain. He needs his resources to recover, not handle pain. They will put in the trach tomorrow at 10 am, a very simple procedure that will be done in his room. This will allow all the tubes to be taken out of his mouth and will be more comfortable all the way around. It will be good to see his full face. The shunt in the brain was also removed, and the draining of brain fluid has stopped. All these are positive things and we are holding on to everything that helps sustain our hopes for a miracle. It is important to remember, that at this time, his prognosis is (in medical terms) not good. There is no response from the brain at this time and we are very prayerful that we will see something soon.

Also, we were told that Paul will, in all probability, not have very good vision, if at all, in his left eye. It was severly damaged. This confirmed our very first thoughts about his sight. But everything remains in God's hands and we are reminded so concretely that we need to keep our trust in our loving God. He will provide all that we need as we go through our day and we give him our love and thanks in response.

Another item on the list for this week is the possible surgery to repair the damage to the left side of the face (bone above his eye) and the left temple area. They will do plastic surgery to reconstruct the left side of the skull and orbital. They wanted to wait until Paul stabilized. After that surgery, we have the possibility of moving Paul out of the Intensive Care Unit. He may be moved to the hospital in town that specializes in brain injury patients. That will be a very critical time for Paul, as there will be very aggressive management of trying to get Paul to actually respond to his environment.

God's blessing to you today. We are so grateful to everyone and please know that we could not do this without all this prayerful support.

Love,
Jon and Rebecca Fidero
ps - we will be loading some pictures onto this site today, it helps to picture Paul smiling!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excerpt from prayer of St. Patrick

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me;
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me

*********************
We are praying for Paul and your entire family. Your strength and faith are an inspiration for all of us.
CK

Anonymous said...

Dear Fidero Family,
Praise God for Paul, and the entire family. I have been in constant prayer. There is no doubt that God's hand is in everything, and he will not forsake us. Thank you for the updates. God Bless all of you.
Susan Staton Nelson (Brad's mom)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates on Paul. You are all in our hearts, thoughts and constant prayers. You are all cradled in Gods'arms. This truly is
the "Miracle Season".

Our love and prayers are with you all

Jan, Julie and Jeff

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are still in a constant state of prayer for Paul and the whole Fidero family. I offered a private petition for you (the whole Fidero family) yesterday during mass... and I know that God is hearing everyone's prayers. May the miracles continue!

Anonymous said...

The Speck family in Hernando, MS is praying for the entire Fidero family. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

You and your family remain in my prayers. I have been offering up my daily Masses and Divine chaplets for Paul's recovery and strength for your family. God bless you always!!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday i was talking to one of the youth ministers at my youth group and she told me that she new the Lord would bless Paul with a full recovery if we have Faith that he will. She also gave me scripture to read and Last night i was praying for paul and this feeling overcame me that we would have good news in the morning and sure enough we did!! We just have to keep believing that the Lord will give paul a full recovery and i know he will. I love you all and hope to see you soon! love ya,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Dear Fidero family,
Just a note to let you know I'm following Paul's progress and keeping you in my prayers.
Susie G, friend of Stephanie Rose

Anonymous said...

Dear Fidero Family,
I know you do not know me and I dont really know your son all that well, but i attended Parkview at the same time he did and I have a few very close friends that are close to him, but I wanted to let you know that I am continuously praying for Paul and for an amazing recovery!
God Bless You all!

Anonymous said...

I graduated from Parkview with Paul, we werent very close and i never met his family but he always stuck out as such a caring and passionate person i admire. I always think of his contagious laughter. Thank you for keeping us posted on the progress! He and your family are in my daily prayers!

Anonymous said...

All my love to your family and Paul. I am in constant prayer for you. Love Connie

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers go out to Paul and the entire Fidero family. You guys are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love you all

Anonymous said...

You remain in our prayers.

Keep up the fight!!

We love you all.

Uncle Rick, Aunt Debi, Stephanie and Kelly

Anonymous said...

if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will move mountains. paul being alive right now is already a mountain moved bfefore our very eyes. keep believing and praying and the hope of this christian family will catch the eye of God. You will not abandon us oh Lord in our hour of need. you will not betray the promise you gave us when you told us to have faith. we have faith larger than a mustard seed...move mountains in us

Anonymous said...

I love you, Paul. I am praying for you daily and you are never out of my thoughts for more than a few minutes - gotta answer the phone at work every now and then or my boss gets suspicious :-))

My heart leaps with joy upon reading all the beautiful sentiments and prayers for you on this web site. You are loved so much by so many and I know you will find great strength in this when you are able to sit up and read through this blog. You are my first thought in the morning and my last thought at night.

God has blessed you abundantly through this community that has formed around you. Surely the miracle we humbly seek in faith will be yours, Paulie.

I can't wait to see your smiling face once more, Pablo!

Peace, love and a kiss on both cheeks for luck,
uj

Anonymous said...

Most precious Paul,
I know in my heart the hand of our mighty God is upon you. All of heaven is singing His praise and is love for us is forever. We love you son.
Aunt Mary Beth and Uncle Michael

Susanna Rose said...

Dear Fideros,

Paul is always in our prayers and we marvel at God's faithfulness and the beautiful attitude of your family in this difficult time.

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with swelling."~Psalm 46:1-3

Anonymous said...

Yesterday Bob, Pam and I visited the tomb of JPII and we made a point of praying for Paul. I expect that we will be there with Betsy tomorrow after the audience and I assure you we will again pray for Paul.
It is truly amazing how many people are praying for Paul and the entire Fidero family and they are all over the world!
I can only believe that this will make for a good outcome and Paul will be restored to health.

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
I pray the rosary, personal prayers and praise songs for you everyday. When I first met you a couple of years ago i thought to myself,"whoa this guy is truly a youth on fire for the Lord, he will be a successful servant of the Lord and the lord will guide him throughout his life." Always remember, no matter what happens in your life the lord will always be with you. He loves you and he has a plan for you, so remain strong in the lord always and he will guide you to the righteous path.

In Christ,
Jordan Shea.