Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Hats off to Paul

I did forget to add one important thing that happened today with Paul.
From very early on in Paul's life, I told people that my son Paul seemed to walk to the beat of a different drummer. Every once in awhile we would think we finally figured out the beat, only to find that it had once again changed.
So today, when he seemed somewhat sluggish in his attempts to obey commands, I figured that with the medicine received earlier, it would be a quiet day. Slowly, Paul started in again trying to get his tubes disconnected, so I gave him the baseball hat that he received from his boss Mr. Watson. He fidgeted with it a minute, but I could tell he wasn't really interested. So I told him he ought to try putting it on. It appeared he was preoccupied with something else when I said this to him, so I turned my back to put on some of his favorite music. When I turned back, he lifted the hat to his head and placed it on top of his head. I was so excited that he knew what to do. It was not pulled down on his head, just placed on top. So we will work on that next, but it was so exciting to see he knew what I had said and had tried to do it. He also recognized his Aunt Bev and gave her a 'thumbs up' sign. It's so amazing how my thinking has changed in the last week. I wanted Paul to recover fully and pictured it happening. What I didn't realize we would have is all the happy moments we have ahead of us as we help Paul regain whatever God wills for him. Each successful effort will feel so triumphant.

I came across this statement by John Paul II:
"Jesus Christ has taken the lead on the way of the cross. He has suffered first. He does not drive us toward suffering but shares it with us, wanting us to have life and to have it in abundance".

We continue to pray that all of you will have a life in abundance, as we celebrate the abundance of His Love in our lives.

Peace in Christ to everyone!
Love, Jon & Rebecca Fidero

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it is time to stop calling me Paul's Boss, Rebecca I want you to know from the bottom of my Heart that Paul is very special to all of us here at DTSi. He not only has our prayers but our love as well. I know that I can speak for everyone here ( since I am the Boss):) that now that we have gotten to know you that your whole family is part of our Family. This little company has a very big heart and Paul and your family are part of that now. If He throws that hat away I have plenty more where that one came from. Just ask Lisa!! Thank you for posting all the little miracles along the way. With much love in Christ, Richard Watson

Anonymous said...

Mr Richard Watson - I have to meet you - I think I love you man!

When I am in Atlanta, belive me I will make it a point to meet you and share my thanks - any friend of Paul's.......
(Can I have a hat too?)
KB

Anonymous said...

It's kinda weird how whatever I read on here either makes me cry or smile real big...It's good to hear that he has his own beat. Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

That's our Paul!! Mr. Watson, I remember Paul telling me about when you ordered all of those hats and how cool they were! He was very impressed with the number of hats you got, and he loved to wear his DTSi hat (and shirt, even with the cut-off sleeves)! Thank you for all you have done for Paul. He talks about DTSi all the time! I felt as if I knew everyone in the office even before I came to visit. You aren't kidding when you say that your small office has a ton of heart; Paul is lucky to be numbered among your wonderful employees!

Thanks be to God for all He has done and is doing and will do! And thank you Mrs. Fidero for being there with Paul so much; I couldn't ask for a better or more faithful 'nurse' to be by his side except our blessed Mother herself (and I am sure she is there all the time as well)! May God bless you and your family!
Geneva

Anonymous said...

I thank God for his miracles. I prayed so much for you on Thanksgiving as I reflected life in the course of a year. On this day, your family shared exciting news of your first responses. I admire your mom and dad for sharing God's blessings as a witness to his glory. I'll have to ask why you threw my reindeer across the room (Is that a sign from God? or do reindeer really fly?) :) God will continue to work miracles in your life, "8 Days a Week"

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

I want you to know that I have been following the blog, and that Paul and your family have been in my prayers. It is so wonderful to read that Paul is coming along so well and making so much progress.

Please know that I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Joan Belenson

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I do not personally know you, but have been touched by your extended family and their updates of your condition. I pray for your recovery daily. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just figured out how to attach my name to these posts--I've been going "anonymous" all this time and wondering how everyone was putting their name on their posts...good thing I wasn't in the ER when you came in, Paul--I'd still be trying to figure out what to do!
I've become a paulfidero blog junkie--I check it almost hourly looking for more good news! Paul, we are all praying for you and are so heartened by your recovery. I look forward to the day you can read this journal for yourself to see what a marvelous thing God has done in your life and in the life of this extended family.
By the way, I did a Google search for medical advances in hat therapy but I can't seem to find anything--this may be the start of something big!

Anonymous said...

i sure have my hat off to you paul. keep it up and youl be just fine im sure.