Sunday, November 13, 2005

Update on Paul Monday 14, 2005

Newest Update-Paul is still in critical condition, and some new information has been brought to our attention. There is bleeding, enough to merit several transfusions, thus a full CAT scan is necessary to determine the origin of the bleeding. His right eye is responsive, (this is a good sign considering both eyes were completely unresponsive when Paul was first brought in) but his left eye is still unresponsive and completely dilated. Please continue to pray!
We had a scare Saturday evening when the doctors had to rush Paul in for an emergency CAT scan to determine whether he had a blood clot in his lung. If they had found a blood clot, this would have been life-threatening because blood thinners might have caused hemorrhaging, but leaving it could have caused heart failure. The doctors were concerned about the level of oxygen in Paul’s blood, which was low, and they were having trouble oxygenizing him. This of course would have been the worst case scenario, so the doctors checked for a clot first. By the grace of God the test came back negative. The doctors believe that the oxygen problem is a result of Paul’s damaged lung.


Paul was driving the speed limit down a narrow road with two lanes of traffic, one northbound, the other southbound. The speed limit on that road is 45mph, and that was the speed at which Paul was traveling. He and my brother Mike were going to the store, and Paul decided to make a phone call to his friend. He looked down for a brief second to dial the number, and his front passenger side tire gripped the edge of the road. The shoulder of the road is downward sloping and it is at a sharp angle. This pulled the car from the road at a little bit faster than normal rate. Paul became startled and pulled the car back onto the road, but with more force than what was necessary. His car swerved into the oncoming lane of traffic, and Paul over-corrected which put his car into a side-ways slide. He left the road and the driver-side door hit an oak tree at circa 40mph. The impact was a direct hit with the driver-side door, and almost perfectly aligned with Paul's body. The car hit the tree and rolled up it a little bit causing the roof of the car to cave in significantly. The damage done to the passenger side was minimal, but on Paul's side, the damage was immense. Paul's head hit the window, and roof simultaneously as the widow was shattering, and the roof was caving in. He sustained 5 fractures to the face, A depression in the skull, fractures to the spine, near the neck, a punctured, and collapse lung, broken ribs, and severe bruising all up and down his body.
Mike, who was very distraught, looked over at Paul, only to see his brother bleeding very profusely from the ears and nose, essentially, he saw Paul hemorrhaging. He called 911 immediately, but only to find that the call was not answered, so again he tried, and the same results were met. He had the presence of mind to call my mother, and asked for her to start praying. He then called me, and told me to do the same, and he called everyone who he could ask for prayers. Someone else came to the scene and was able to reach the paramedics, who were immediately sent to his aide. This entire time, Mike never once stopped calling people to pray. Paul was rushed to the hospital, and has been unconscious and "unresponsive" ever since, in a coma. He is heavily sedated so that his body cannot function on its own, so he is on a breathing machine. The doctor's have placed Paul in intensive care in the neuroscience wing of the hospital, where he will be for the duration of the week. He is in critical condition and has not changed much since.

24 comments:

Paul Fidero said...

Thank you to every person who has taken any amount of time for my family and brother with their prayers. I love you all so much, and I simply cannot thank you all enough. I truley believe that our prayers are what are going to save Paul's life, and for that, I am forever indebted to you all.

So far, the places that I know where prayers are being said for Paul are the following: Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, California, Wisconson, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Austria, Arizona,Missouri,South Carolina, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, New Hampshire, and his name has been added to a slew of different prayer lines and or groups accross the country. Our entire family is in town, and together, and we have been enduring this tragedy together.

Dave E said...

God bless you all. I join my love and prayers to the multitude on earth and in heaven who are interceding for you, Paul. God be with you and your family in these difficult times.

Dave Englestad

Laura said...

Paul, I am a very close friend of Marie...I wanted you and your family to know that you're all in my prayers, my family's prayers and also on the prayer chain at my church. We are also praying for the doctors that they will be given wisdom in every situation.

Knowing Jon, and hearing about his family from both him and Marie, I know that you must be an amazing Christian man. Remember that Christ knows the plans he has for you and there is nothing that is outside his reign of power.

God Bless you and your friends and family,

Laura Doskocil

Anonymous said...

Paul-
I love you so much, human words cant describe how many prayers and how much love is being poured forth for you. So many people are praying for you, I cant even begin to tell you how many states, and countries, and the amount of people who are keeping you in their prayers. I was praying the rosary over you today, and Jon came in next to me and joined. The doctors told us that we were allowed to talk to you, even though we were not supposed to. I couldn't help but notice the improvement that you have made, you dont look near as bad as before. I know you heard me, I love you man, and all of my tears are tears of joy because I know God has blessed you so abundantly. GOOD NEWS PAUL, your recovery has been attributed with the canonization of JPII!!! The Fidero's are officially connected to the beauty of Jon Paul II. Even in these trying times, when we think about the bad aspects of this accident, I cant help but notice all of the blessing that have come about...Wrap your head around this Paul, Right now, at this moment, literally thousands of people are praying for you, more people are praying for you now than ever before! I love you Paul, and I know that you will get better because God has his hand in all things, and because you are a FIDERO, one of The Four Spanish conquistadors!!!

In Christ's Love,

James

Anonymous said...

I didnt know there was a blog here, I posted an article about Paul on my blog at blog.richardrose.net

or the direct link to the article is:
http://www.richardrose.net/blog/archives/000008.php

Anonymous said...

Paul:

Brad and I are preying for you and your family each and every day. You've been such a wonderful friend to Brad...I can't thank you enough for what you've given him. You are a strong person with an amazing heart...I know you'll pull through. Until then...we continue to pray and think of you in everything we do.

Anonymous said...

oops, my image is throwing things off, if you go to the direct link you need to scroll down a bit.

Anonymous said...

Paul, I cannot even begin to imagine what this experience will change for you, but whatever change it is will be with you forever. God gives the strongest challenges to those with the strength to bear them. May Mary keep you in her mantle and shower you with her love, as I know she is even now. God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I'm Marie's sister Anne. I want you to know that the entire student body at Magdalen College is praying for you! Keep fighting! The Lord know what you are going through and He will be there with you through it all! I can't wait to meet you at Marie and Jon's wedding!
God Bless,
Anne hennessy

Anonymous said...

Paul knows me as "UJ" - Uncle Jim (brother to his mother, Rebecca) - and I have had the great good fortune to be both witness to and participant in Paul's life. I am so gratified to see this amazing outpouring of love and prayer on Paul's behalf.

My heart broke in that instant I received the call informing me of this sickeningly sudden and shockingly unfair twist of fate that has befallen my beautiful Paully.

Had I been able to be instantly transported to his side, it still would have taken too long.

Paul, I love you more than life itself and I feel so frustrated that I can do no more than pray for your return to health. You have heard the axoi, "use the right tool for the job." Well, sharper than any scalpel, more penetrating than any MRI, more effective than drug, prayer is the Swiss Army Knife of Catholics and it comes in handy in any situation.

Paul, you are the recipient of an intense, impassioned, widespread prayer campaign the likes of which I have not seen before. The loyalty of your friends, the respect you engender by your Christian example speak volumes. Small wonder that you have so many people praying for your recovery.

I am convinced of several small miracles that have eased you through some pivotal points in your first few days of critical care. How blessed you are!

None of us but God knows what the future holds for you and we must be content with that - all things in God's time, not ours. Be patient, watch for Him, listen for Him. Then look over His shoulder and there wil be the rest of us waiting in line to support you through any trials and disappointments you encounter on your way back to us.

Oh, my God - I have to finish this later. We have just received devastating news and the outlook for Paul is horrifyingly bad.

PLEASE PRAY FOR HIS SOUL. That's all that's left to do now.

Please pray for my beautiful Paully. May God receive his oul.

Anonymous said...

Be assured of my prayers especially at Mass.

Anonymous said...

paul...i really miss you and i love you with all my heart. Over 300 poeple are praying for you here in cali....i know you can pull through this!! you can do all things through christ who strenghthens you! i love you paul! keep fighting
"dont give up on us baby lord knows we've come this far, its written in the good book its painted in the stars we cant change time..."
-starsky and hutch
love always,
kelly
ps: you can see my myspace if you enter in the webpage that i put in...its a long one so copy and paste..

Susanna Rose said...

Rick and I and the whole Rose clan are praying.

Anonymous said...

We are all praying for you! Mary is with you. I am also praying for the rest of the Fidero family... I am a church member at St. Stephen's in Lilburn and I am pryaing for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I have absolutely no idea what to say....we haven't really talked all that much in a long time, but you're in my thoughts and prayers. You're an amazing person...God loves you and will take care of you. Only a great person would have so many people from all over the country praying for you. We really do love you...

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul, our prayers are with you and your family and we look forward to seeing you again. We truly don't have words to express our fellings, just know we care and have prayer warriors on the job. God bless you, The Searcy's

Anonymous said...

Just hearing about this terrible news today sadens me. I pray for you paul and hope you come through this. I will pray as long as I can until you are better. God is with you and so are all your friends and family.

Alex

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,

I pray for your recovery, and also for your family.

Yours in Christ,
Christopher Hummel

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul!
I am sure you must know how much you are loved. We love you and are praying for you and will continue to pray forever for you.
We love you very much,Patty and Mark

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I just wanted to let you know that I and my whole family are praying for you in this time of need. You are an amazing person with so much left to offer this world. My prayers are with you and your family and I hope our prayers can move the heart of the Father to heal your body. I can't wait till you are well enough to call me at two in the morning asking for a grilled cheese and a good conversation. My heart breaks at this terrible tragedy and I pray that you will be back to normal as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Paul,
I was devastated to hear the news last night, but I told Jake I knew the news in the morning would bring hope. Sure enough when I logged on at school better news was brought. I am amazed and proud of the fight you are putting up. I will continue to pray for the time I will log on and read the title of the blog, "Paul is Awake!" Keep fighting! The Browns, Arnolds and all my wonderful friends in the ECE program at GA State are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

We have you all in our thoughts and prayers ... CJ & Donna Ross

Anonymous said...

Hello Paul,
I never met you, but I know your father. on yesterday I returned back to work from maternity leave to learn that father, Jon, was not at work due to your tragic accident that had occured. As I write this tears fall from my eyes. I don't know you in person, but I know you in spirit. I have been praying since yesterday for my God to spare your life. I hope to meet you some day. Psalms 91 is the prayer that I pray over my newborn son, Caleb...He who dwells in the shelter of the most high will rest in the shawdow of the almighty. I will say unto the Lord he is my refuge and my fortress, my god in whom I trust. Surely he will save you from the fowlers snare and the deadly pestilence......My prayers are with you.

Millie

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul - we're out here in Naperville, IL just down the street from your Aunt & Uncle (Brown's). We've had the awesome opportunity of meeting you and getting to know you just about each time you were up visiting. We'll be praying for you around the clock and wish you all the best with as speedy of a recovery as possible. Keep up the strong fight!! We're here for you and your family! The Carlson's