Monday, November 28, 2005

This goes in the book of miracles.............

That is the statement I heard from the nurse today when I walked into Paul's room. The pulmonologist looked at me this morning and said, "this is a miracle". Two other nurses have said the same thing. I believe it is not presumptious to say IT IS A MIRACLE.

And then the fun began.............

Paul was put into a chair today, and they removed the ventilator for awhile. The physical therapist came and worked on his legs and arms, showing me what they will be doing and what we can do to help him. Then, while he was still in the chair, the occupational therapist came in and worked with Paul to see what commands he would follow. He did well and was able to do most of the things they asked him to do. He was then seen by the speech therapist. He was very tired at this point and had had the ventilator off. He got a 19 out of 23 and anything over 15 is good. He was able to swallow water and he chewed an ice chip. They tested his vocal chords, and we heard him just a little bit, but he was also having some respiratory issues at the same time. He was soaking wet from sweating through all of this. I can well imagine that his first shower will be the best one of his life time! He was also trying to pull out the vent tube, and at one point, I needed a nurse to help me get him to let go of the one for his feeding, which is currently going in through his nose. He has let us know he does not want the tubes in him. He also got mad enough today to toss the little stuffed animal they had placed in his hand to keep him from pulling the tubes. He lifted the reindeer up, looked at it and then tossed it to the side and started to immediately reach for the ventilator tube that goes into the trach. We were glad to see an emotion.

He was graded at a level 3, and is also doing just a couple things that would be more of a level 4. The next level will be the toughest level for him, in that it is a time of being easily agitated resulting in over reactions in behavior and speech. It should last no longer than 1-2 weeks. Not a good time to visit, except for those who love him. It made me smile as I have told Paul a couple of times that he can test the patience of Job and only a mother could love him. Keep Geneva, his girlfriend, in your prayers during this period we will be going into! After this stage the real rehab will begin, which will be a level 5. We will be discussing the location Paul will go to from here, but we are unsure of the time frame. That is because they may do the plastic surgery soon, which will delay some things while Paul recovers from the surgery. We ask that you pray hard for the right decision to be made about this. We will probably ask for a second opinion, as we don't want to jeopardize any possibility of Paul's vision recovering.

His boss, Mr Watson, brought a DTSI baseball cap and we gave that to Paul to hold to keep his hands off the tubes. It worked and Paul finally has fallen back asleep, which is the reason I can finally get the message out. He stays awake a lot more than I thought he would. But he had quite a work out today, being in the chair for about 2 1/2 hours and having 3 different therapists working with him. He had been sitting yesterday for only about 25 minutes. After all this work, they did put him back on the ventilator as he was struggling just a little bit. Hopefully, he will be able to handle it tomorrow and will be able to stay breathing on his own.

Please keep praying for the doctors and nurses who work here. They have been doing a great job and they have been very kind to our family. Thank God Paul has been in good hands, - but then again, we prayed that God take over on that first night and it has happened. He is working through all these great people. Yep, this is definitely God's story.

Peace to you in this day, in all ways,
Love, Rebecca Fidero

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is probably the first time in a long time I've been glad to hear about a friend getting mad... and it seems like every day a new miracle has occured. Wow...

Anonymous said...

Miracles happen....we just have to do what we can and believe that God will do the rest. You are all in my prayers.....I know that God will give Paul what he needs and the rest of you what you need. In the struggles and pain, life is found. I know miracles happen...and I am happy to hear about yours. Keep up the good work Paul!!!!!!! I know you will be fine11

Anonymous said...

Rebecca & Jon-
Time to bring him a bag full of stuffed animals (a la Abby dog). The exercise will be good for Paul and provide a diversion from anger to boot! Paint a target on the door for him - maybe an oak tree in the bullseye :-)))

I knew Paul was a fighter and his spirit is coming through. I remember Lauren B. warned us that his inhibitions may take a vacation until his brain has time to heal. God will not abandon what He has begun with Paul. Now it is for us to continue our patient prayerfulness as Paul struggles through this.

Tell Paul I'll buy him a chocolate shake for every bullseye. He can collect the IOU when he stands up.

I love you more than words can ever express. Swing for the fence, Pablo!!!

All my love and prayers,
uj

Anonymous said...

I'm thrilled to hear about Paul's progress and am praying for him and for you.
Love,
Susie
(dancer with Stephanie Rose at PIM)

Anonymous said...

My name is Tracy and I am Joe and Lisa Hanrahan's sister in law. While shopping today, I found in my cart a St. Anthony Rosary which said "St. Anthony Prayer for Us". I picked it up and I decided that it was a sign for many things that are happening in my family. However, one of the first thoughts that came to mind was Paul. Even though my family and I do not know him, though Lisa we have learned about him and one of my first prayers was for Paul. May his fight for life continue and I look forward to meeting Paul in person, so I can put the name and face together.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, how sweet that you should ask people to pray for me! You know, I've been pushing Paul to be a healthier and holier person since day one of our relationship, as he has me, and though sometimes it's been rough (like when he doesn't want to listen to me), he usually just agrees that I am right and he is wrong and he fixes the problem; let's hope he stays that way... smile.
I am so glad that Paul is back to acting more like himself (i.e. showing his angry emotions before he can even talk), and I cannot wait to be back in his room to help him recover as best I can. Our good Lord knows I'll be giving Paul all the support and love I can while still pushing him through the 'recovery boot camp' he has to endure and overcome! But I belive it is more necessary for everyone to pray for Mr. and Mrs. Fidero who have the privilege of being with Paul through all the long, hard, tiring, and frustrating days. We all know that boys are on their best behavior when with their girlfriends, so please keep his parents and the rest of his family in your prayers! Thanks be to God for the miracles He has wrought in all our lives!!!
In Christ,
Geneva

Anonymous said...

Everyday i log on here i am so overwhelmed with happiness, excitment and relief at the news i read. Im so happy to hear about his anger towards stuffed animals haha it gives us a funny story to tell paul when he gets through this just like the time when Jim broke his coller bone and passed out!haha I remember when you guys told me and Stephanie that story i had never laughed so hard in my life! We all keep praying for Paul and we love all of you so much! I cant wait to hear about the next miracle the Lord gives us.
talk to you all soon.
xoxo kelly

Anonymous said...

Mr. and Mrs. Fidero, my name is David Winnette and I am a friend of girl who is close to your son. I myself am in trauma nursing and understand the medical condition of your son. I also am a devout Anglo-Catholic and will pray for your son nightly as I pray the Office. I hope and wish for a full recovery.

Anonymous said...

It's odd how this is has gotten to be my source for good news every day. Not to rest on our laurels, there is still a long fight ahead, but man this is awesome. keep on pushin paully.

-Master B

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fidero,

Paul's story is one of the most inspiring stories that I have ever heard. I have been praying ever since I found out about the accident, the Sunday after it happened.

The faith that you have kept so strongly these past few weeks is so amazing and so inspiring. This must have been very difficult for you, and yet you managed to keep your faith and be a constant source of strength for Paul. I cannot accurately describe just how inspiring your faith is. I have been moved to tears. When I found out that Paul had woken up, I was once again moved to tears, because I was so very happy for him and for you.

This truly is a miracle of God. I am strongly reminded of the miracles that Jesus performed during His ministry, saying "Child, your faith has saved you" on several occasions. I think that your incredible faith has helped Paul recover so miraculously; God really does reward those who have such great faith in Him.

Thank you for being such amazing examples for all of us, Catholic or not. I, for one, have been very inspired.

Know that my love and prayers are still with you, Paul, and your entire family, and always will be.

God bless,
Meaghan Curry

Anonymous said...

Jon and Rebecca,

Hi, my name is Symona Dunleavy and we have never met, but you know my daughter, Rachel, James' friend from Ave Maria. (Thank you for extending such gracious hospitality to her last Thanksgiving.) Paul has been at the top of our family prayer list since Rachel told me about his accident. She just e-mailed me the blog address today, and I am overjoyed at his recent progress. God is so good! Many people around Wyoming are also praying for Paul, too! On Thanksgiving I asked the Korean martyrs, Saint Andrew Dung-Lac and Companions (it was their feast day) to intercede on your son's behalf. God Bless!

Symona Dunleavy and Family