Monday, July 10, 2006

One Fine Day

Mike helping Paul pick up the first bag of mulch



James, Paul and Mike ready to do the hauling!







James, Paul and Michael working those
biceps!











Jon, Paul, James and Michael

Saturday truly was One Fine Day. In fact, this was One Fine Weekend!

It all started as Mike pulled up in his truck, which was loaded down with bags of mulch. We were going to get some work done on the gardens. I was sitting on the front porch with Paul, as we waited for Michael to back his truck down the lawn so we could unload everything. As we started to work, James jokingly called over to Paul and said "Hey Paul, come on over here lazybones and help us out. I expected to hear Paul say that his head hurt too badly, but instead, he got up and came over to the truck. As he came over, I realized he was really going to try to help! I ran into the house to grab the camera and got back in time to see Michael helping him pick up the first bag. I just kept clicking away as they started to work. Paul carried the bag to the back yard and came back to carry a second one. He walked very steadily, and had no problem keeping his balance. It was so great to see him helping his brothers and it looked so much like the days when the boys lived at home and we would work outside on Saturdays. (Actually, it was unlike the old days in that we used to have to 'pry' Paul out of bed to come help us!) After I got the pictures, I ran to Jon (he was in the garage) to show him what his son had just done. There was no time to go get him before Paul started to work, for which I apologized to him. Paul could only do 2 bags and his head was pounding, so he sat back down on the front porch. Jon and the boys finished unloading everything and then I took the group picture. I know Paul's brothers and dad were so proud of him for his effort. It was an awesome thing to see. Each person who came to the house through the weekend got a preview of the pictures that would be posted on the blog today!

We went to church Sunday morning and afterwards, I thought Jon, Paul and Michael had already left, so I stayed and visited with friends. AFter about 20 minutes, I saw Jon and Paul walking back into church. I asked them where they had come from and Jon said they had been waiting outside and decided to come in to get me. I told them I was sorry, I thought they had left with Michael. Turns out, Michael had decided to stay and have donuts with good friends of ours. This was surprising to me, as Michael always drives his car to Mass so he doesn't have to hang around after Mass, waiting for all of us. Since Jon, Paul and Michael had all gone to church together, I thought they had left together. I said that I was ready to go, but Paul asked if we could go back into the Sanctuary and pray for a little while longer. I was shocked because Paul never wants to stay, and usually says he needs to go because he can't stand the pain. Jon, Paul and I went to the Sanctuary and we listened to Paul pray to our 'Heavenly Father' . He asked his heavenly Father to please help him handle the pain and he said that while he asks for help about every 5 minutes, he was asking again for the help he needed to see again and to hear again. Then he said that mostly, he would hope to be able to see again out of his eye, and if he didn't regain his hearing, that would be alright. He hoped though, to have his sight back. He said that if he is to continue to have pain, he would wait. The reading Sunday was from St. Paul to the Corinthians, 12:7-10. "Brothers and sisters, That I, Paul, might not become too elated, because of the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan, to beat me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong." There it is in a nutshell. God's grace is sufficient for us. When we are weak, then we are strong. This prayerful moment with Paul made it One Fine Day for both Jon and I. There was a true sense of peace in it all. Afterwards, Paul actually wanted to go and get a donut and so we got to visit with some of the other people in the parish. It was the first time in a long time that we were able to do that. Oh, those pockets of peace!!

We got to experience a real 'Paul' moment. After we got home from church, Paul went up to change clothes. I came up later and he was walking out of his room with his shorts and tee shirt on and also the black socks he had had on for church. I mentioned that he might want to change his socks as he looked like a tourist. He looked down and laughed and then told James "get my sandals, STAT." James and I laughed so hard, as this really took us by surprise. Paul usually just does what he is told or what is suggested and his usual comment is something like "okay" or "oh, yeah". It turned out to be a day where Paul's humor was evident. Later, he joked around about me having so many pictures of him with his patch on his eye. He said, "Yeah, what is the deal with all those pictures of me and that BIG patch on my eye? Could we have any more of those showing that ridiculous thing?" Then he mimicked me clicking away and then saying "Wait Paul, let me get a video of that patch too!" We were all laughing so hard as he did this. I told him I was sorry if it seemed too outlandish, but we were all so happy to see him alive, that we didn't really notice the patch - we just loved seeing him interacting in this world again. He said he realized that, it was just weird to see that patch in every picture. Paul is becoming very aware of his infirmities and I know he will have some hard times ahead as he gets back into the swing of things. He said last night as he was getting into bed that he has changed so much. He said "I sure pray a lot more than I used to. I used to not think about prayer very much, but I think about it all the time now." - Just a matter of fact statement, but surely one that shows God's grace will be sufficient to get Paul through his trials.

Jonathan Tarantino and Brendan Hanrahan both came to visit Paul on Sunday at different times. It did Paul so much good to see them. He was up most of the day, and participated in the conversations. There were so many moments of laughter and joy. We all enjoy the times when people stop by to visit! Later in the day Jon, Paul and I took a long walk with Abby and enjoyed the cooler weather we had this weekend.

Saturday was Grandma Fidero's birthday and today is my dad's birthday. I told Paul that he is surely being remembered by his grandparents in heaven!! He went to Mass today with James to say hi to both of them!

"What return can we make to God except our prayer of grateful praise? Though he needs nothing, he rejoices in this gift of our love." So, we start this day with-

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavens.

With full gratitude and love to all of you,

Jon and Rebecca


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts and Paul's progress. We all enjoy your ability to tie together Paul's recovery to faith, scripture and the day-to-day interactions of your family.

Since you brought up mulch, this blog and Paul's amazing strength and faith are "spiritual mulch." You are enabling us to grow deeper roots in the Church, our faith and prayer life. God bless all of you and keep going Paul.

Anonymous said...

What lovely pockets of peace!!!

I have a dear friend from high school who lives in Savannah and works at St. Joseph's hospital. I asked her what the reputation of the Savannah Neurological Unit was, and she said, "outstanding". In every thing they do...surgery, rehab, therapy...they are wonderful. She also told me that she would personally look out for you all if you decide to venture south to Savannah.

Coincidently, she is the friend who lit a candle for Paul every week at church for months after the accident.

Bless all of you,

Connie from next door

Anonymous said...

tears of joy are streaming.
Thanks be to God for the grace He bestows upon us all.MB

Anonymous said...

oh, what a beautiful story! your blog gives me so much hope. Paul is just an amazing person for all he has had to endure. I too suffered from chronic severe physical pain after the birth of my child 2 and a half years ago. i was in severe pain constantly for 2 years. i had several painful surgeries all to no avail. thankfully, i found a medication that finally has helped relieve the pain for the past 6 months although it's not completely gone. i used to just sit in the chapel and weep and cry out to God. I know He was teaching me so much through the cross he allowed in my life. I will continue to pray for Paul and your family. You continue to inspire me everyday. :)

Anonymous said...

Will they come work in my garden too?

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing this spectacular mulch job this weekend!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, what a handsome bunch! What's your secret to getting your offspring to do your yardwork??? Must be God's blessings indeed. They're living proof that beautiful flowers grow where the Lord's seeds are planted. God is great and his grace is neverending. Hang in there, Paul!

Anonymous said...

On Monday I had the pleasure of sitting behind James and Paul at Mass. They are two, fine young men! During the Kiss of Peace I told James that I had been praying for your family. He must have told Paul as they were leaving Mass because Paul made a special trip back to my pew to say, "God Bless You."

I felt very humbled that with all Paul has been through he would take a moment to return and wish God's blessings upon me. I am sure that Paul would wish the same for each of you who have been praying for him. Though as you read this blog I think you can see your faith is being magnified in return.

James, you are an awesome brother!

Keep the prayers strong for this faith-filled family!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Well, We just want to welcome the "Fidero Sisters" (Marilee and Christine) to Atlanta. We hope you both had an uneventfull trip. We can't wait to join you on Friday evening to have a Fidero Siblings together. Looking forword to our time with family. Wish we were there already!!!!

Paul, hope you are up for a housefull. We have all been anxiously waiting to see you and the family.

God Bless you all!!

Love, The California Fidero's

P.S. are any of you ready to switch to California time while we are there? :-)