Thursday, July 27, 2006

Come to the Water

(I apologize - the pictures posted in opposite order of occurrence)



Stepahine and Kelly showed great support the whole time





Paul started to do excercises on his own.




James helping Paul down the steps, making sure he didn't lose his balance.




Stephanie stood by Paul as he got used to the water




Paul put on sun screen as he was worried about burning
(hence the long sleeve shirt)




Taking a walk with Abby Dog













"For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land - a land with streams and pools of water, with springs flowing in the valleys and hills" (Deut 8:7)

James, Stephanie and Kelly took Paul swimming today after being invited by Dr. Dee Huggins to use her neighborhood pool. (Thank you so much Dee for your kind offer!) Paul spent 2 hours swimming and doing excercises. He had a really terrific time. In fact, when James asked him if he was ready to go, Paul asked, "Leave?" James then said, "Yeah, we are going to need to leave, mom's going to be home soon." Paul responded, "Now?" Stephanie said they were surprised that Paul did not want to go, since he is always the first one to say "I need to go home now." Kelly told me that Paul got active in the water early on and started to do arm and leg excercises on his own. He handled the brightness of the sun also. He had a headache when he got home, so he took some Tylenol and rested for about a half hour. We then went out to eat to celebrate the last night that Kelly and Stephanie would be with us. Joe and Bev (my sister) joined us, as did Jerry. It was a huge day for Paul........once again. Absolutely an incredible day for him. Also, it was the most beautiful summer day we have had. The humidity was very low, the sky was vivid blue with the most beautiful white clouds. When I came out of work, I literally stopped and stayed gazing up for a full 5 minutes. I called Bev to see if she was still at her desk, as I was going to tell her to come outside immediately to see how glorious the sky was. She was already on her way home, but she said she too had stood for awhile to enjoy the view. God's gifts to us are a constant wonderment for me.

Paul has shown amazing strength and endurance in the last 2 days. We have all been stunned at the amount of progress he has made and the level of activity he has engaged in. Stephanie and Kelly have truly brought the best out in him. He tries so hard to accomplish goals they have set with him. Jon and I have stood back and watched with great thankfulness to God!

There is one other wonderful occurrence and that happened on Tuesday night. I was changing the tape on Paul's eye and since he was not in a lot of pain, I tried to do some eye excercises with him. While covering his right eye (the good eye), he was able to read the words on the cover of a book. The print has to be about 1/2 inch, and then he can read it. I then asked him to try to close his eyelid on his left eye. He was able to do this 4 times, although it took about 30 mintues to accomplish this. I was so excited to see him open and close his eyelid - no matter how long it took! I ran downstairs and told the girls and we rejoiced that they were here for this big occasion. Today, I was working with Paul again, and called the girls upstairs. Paul not only read for them while blocking his right eye, he took it once step further and said he was going to test his ability to walk, using only his left eye. He was able to take about 5 -6 steps and not lose his balance! He tried it one more time and then explained that it was hard to do because his eye is not lined up exactly as his right eye. It sits a tiny bit lower and he said that affects his balance. He then took the patch off his good eye and we did excercises to help strenthen the muscles that move his eyes. He will need to have corrective surgery to have his left eye aligned correctly in the socket, but I have so much hope about his being able to someday gain back the ability to blink. Once he can do that, he won't need his eye patch. Also, there is research going on to replace the optic nerve and since Paul is so young, he would possibly be able to have the nerve replaced in the future. My motto - pray, wait and believe!

It has been an amazing week, filled with the love of Stephanie and Kelly and Jerry. The blessings have 'flowed abundantly'!

"All you who are thirsty, come to the water. All you who are hungry, come taste and see.
From me shall flow life giving water, quenching your thirst eternally.
I give my body, I pour my life-blood. Here is real food and drink; come taste and see." (Based on Isaiah 55:1-3 and John 7:37, 6:55-57)

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

(more pictures below)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paulie your amazing, pretty soon you'll be going back to school and to work and then playing in a band?
Where does the strength come from to finish the race, it comes from within, keep the faith and keep on truckin

Anonymous said...

BLESSED BE GOD FOREVER. At least this time, I had not put my mascara on yet. smile. Love to all of you. Wish I could be there to meet these wonderful cousins. God bless your journey home.

Anonymous said...

Well, as the mother of those wonderful California Cousins, I am so proud of them. My eyes are filled with tears of joy as I read and look at these new photos. You can see that they all have a special bond, one that is so blessed.

Rebecca, I can only imagine that it must have taken you all night to post so many fabulous photos (smile).

The girls called from the airport this morning and were both feeling very down that they were heading home. Of course this gave me mixed emotions, “they wanted to stay in GA instead of come home to the old routine of mom nagging at them…..haha.” I actually wish they had more time to spend with each other.

I know they had a fabulous time with all of the boys and there Aunt and Uncle too. But, they are so grateful to be able to spend so much quality time with Paul. The girls called home a few times each day to tell us of all the great news of Paul’s progress and how proud they were of him and glad they were there to support him through these steps he has taken over the past two weeks.

What great news about your eye Paul. To be able to walk, read and blink. This defiantly is Gods work again, showing that “Prayers Are Answered.” Like you mom said, Pray, Wait and Believe. Of course, we will continue to pray for more healing of your eye and ear.

It breaks our hearts that we live so far apart and won’t be there with you as you travel to Savannah. But, our prays will go with you and we will continue to keep in touch. We are praying that the Dr. in Savannah is the answer to all the prayers and that he will be the one that can help you with your headaches and your road to recovery.

All in all, The California Fid’s want to Thank all of The Atlanta Fid’s for such a memorable vacation. This is defiantly a “Summer to Remember.”

Also thanks to Bob and Barb for their hostility. Jerry it was great getting to know you and we look forward to spending time together again. You are a great example of “True Friendship” and Fidero’s are blessed to have you in their lives.

God Bless You All,

We love you and miss you,

The Fidsnkids,
Rick, Debi, Stephanie and Kelly

Anonymous said...

Wow! We are so happy to hear all the progress Paul has made, what an answer to prayer! Keep up the good work Paul and to your wonderful family and friends, God's blessings! You contunue to be such an inspiration and faith builder! We continue to pray for all of you, and pray that He will guide the Dr's. in Savanna to know how best to help Paul!

With JMJ
WY blog readers

Anonymous said...

Wow where do I begin? These past two weeks were amazing! I had so much fun and enjoyment being with all of you! From the beginning with "O as in WOOT" to "Le DU eh" and "SHBETTER BETTER" haha to the end with "did he catch a barracuta!!" haha.
Swimming was a lot of fun yesterday. (James i expect a rematch because i will kick your butt one day). It was a good way to end the trip.
I hated leaving my family this morning! It was horrible it's like leaving home. I'm so glad that we provided motivation for Paul but i can not take the credit for that, it was just God answering our prayers.
I love you all so much and want to see you all again soon!
keep in touch and call me ((paul i KNOW your capable of this =] ))
I LOVE YOU ALL,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

oops... Sorry Bob and Barb... I meant to thank you for your 'HOSPITALITY', you are both wonderful people and we couldn't thank you enough.

Debi, Rick, Stephanie & Kelly

Anonymous said...

So many things have happened in these last two weeks, I have been so blessed to witness many of God's blessings upon our family. Paul, you are my rock, you have strengthened my faith in our Lord Jesus Christ with every mountain you climb and river you cross on your trail to recovery. Oh and you are the best 'running backwards swimmer' out there, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

James, it's been real, it's been fun, it's been real fun. Thank you for all the serenations during our many yet sometimes pointless car rides. Just don't pursue a singing career.... please. jk. I guess we'll just have to see Snatch next time.

Mike, you are a trip my dear cousin, thank you for the tour of all the ritzy nebighorhoods in 'Thrillburn'. Oh and don't worry I won't let that lashing you let out on me be anything personal. haha.

Jon, I really wish you could have been there for more of the action, I was a little bummed to see you and Marie leave last Tuesday, but the time I did spend with you was very enjoyable. Thanks for entertaining us those few days.

Aunt Rebecca and Uncle Jon, there are no words for how much I want to thank you for allowing us to visit you for the last two weeks. I love you both so much and feel so blessed to have been a part of the 'Atlanta Fids' lives. I can't wait to see you again. We had so many laughs and I am going to have so much fun re-living them with all the pictures we took.

God Bless all of you!

p.s. ooohhh BARACUDA!!

Anonymous said...

hi paul! it's gracie. the progress you're making is amazing since the last time i saw you last year. i hope to see you soon! i love you!