Thursday, July 13, 2006

Georgia (Savannah) On My Mind

Last night I had to smile as I thought about how wonderful it is when we can look back and see the perfect timing of God. While I haven't a clue as to the day Paul will be able to be free from constant headaches, or when he will be able to live a full life, God has provided me with little instances of His perfect timing.

As you know, I have been in touch with some people at the Hydrocephalus Association and I have received what I pray is some good advice and direction in finding Paul the help he needs. We have been given the information about the Neurological Institute of Savannah and after waiting a week until the doctor and his staff came back from vacation, I was able to speak to one of the nurses at the institute. She asked a number of questions and then said that they would need the medical records from both facilities where Paul had his surgeries. Once that is received they would let us know if they will accept Paul as a patient. Depending on his needs, they will let me know which doctor will be best suited to handle his case. I had most of the medical records that we sent to Dr. Ghaly, but still did not have the records from Emory. When we requested them over a month ago, we were told that the doctor had not signed off on them and that until he did that, they could not be released. I had a moment of panic as I remembered this and wondered about how I could get the records that were needed. I let it go and asked God to help us if it was His will. So many things have been out of my control and one thing I am getting better at is to 'let go and let God.'

One of the most blessed things that have occured since the accident is that we have met so many of our neighbors who attend our church. We have driven by their houses all these years but have not had the chance to actually meet them. One of the people we have met is Jerry Hufford. He lives about 1/4 mile away and after all these years, we have been blessed to meet him. He and his mother brought us dinner in the early Spring when our parish provided dinners throughout March, April and May. When James got home in May, he and Jerry met and have become friends. Paul and James usually see Jerry at the 9:00 AM Mass and James has since worked with Jerry in the Outreach Program through the church. On Wednesday mornng, Jerry came to our house at 8:00 AM to stay with Paul for the morning. James was going to be gone this week, so Jon and I arranged some time off from work and with the help of family and friends (Jerry) we had the help we needed to take care of Paul. Jon was going to go to Emory's radiology department to pick up the copies of all CT scans taken and then bring it to me so I could mail that with the records I had on hand from Gwinnett Medical. I had called my sister in law, Kelly, and they were going to overnight the disks they had of all the CT scans taken at Gwinnett. These were the ones we had picked up to take to Dr. Ghaly. I figured that the doctors in Savannah could at least get started with the CT scans from Emory and medical records from everything else. So, on Wednesday, as I was writing out the schedule for Paul's care for Jerry to use, the phone rang. It was a woman from the Medical Records department and she said that the medical records we had requested in the first week of June were now ready for pickup!! (We had wanted to send those to Dr. Ghaly, but could not since Emory would not release them to us without the doctor signing off on them.) I knew immediately that God had helped us. The very day we planned to go to Emory to pick up CT copies, the medical records would also be ready. I had not even called the radiology department yet to request the copies of the films and here was the lady from medical records telling us the written reports were ready. I called the radiology department and was told that we could pick up the CT copies in about an hour! We would not need to make 2 trips to obtain everythng we needed and in one day's time, we had everything to complete the package going to the doctors in Savannah. They will have the complete records of Paul today, in their office. Praise be to God for His loving mercy and kindness.

I was awake a lot last night as I thought about writing this blog today. In the last few days, Paul's intensity in prayerfulness has really increased. On 2 different occasions, he has walked either downstairs to the crucifix in the front room or to the one in his room. He asked us to go with him when he walked to his room to pray in front of the crucifix. He stands there and looks at Jesus on the cross and prays for the forgiveness of his sins, for a healing of his pain and for the recovery of his sight and hearing. He also prayed in thanksgiving for the love of his brothers. It was amusing at one point when he said that although his brothers talk too loudly these days, he loves them so much and is happy to be with them. ( He has had difficulty with loud sounds and any kind of lighting these days.) He also thanked God for placing him in a family that has shown so much faith and who loves to worship God. ( I was so surprised when he said those words..................while we prayed before and tried to worship God, it was no where near what we do ever since the accident. I told Paul that we are the ones who are so thankful for what has been gained from his suffering and example of obedience and love of God!) Last night, Paul was not able to sleep, so I told him I would read the bible to him. He asked if I would need to turn on a light and I said I was actually going to use a flashlight. He said that he didn't want me to go to any trouble and said that the flashlight would probably still be too bright since he did not have on his sun glasses. So I told him I would pray the rosary out loud, (softly of course......smile) and he could just listen. He said he would try to pray it with me. We started to pray and I named some of the intentions we would offer up as we prayed. Before I continue with this part of the story, let me give you the very sad details about the main intention we stated for our rosary. My son Jon called me this week and asked that I include this information on my next blog so that people can pray for another family, like they have prayed for us. A very devout and holy family at their church in Virginia have 5 children and this last Saturday, their 4 yr old child died after being run over by a car, with the family being present. The family had already been suffering from the strain of huge financial difficulties and now they have to suffer the worst pain anyone can imagine. The loss of a child. The family is suffering so much pain and as Jon told me about it, I could not help but cry for them all. I have not been able to think of them without crying. I can only empathize with their struggle, since we were so hugely blessed with Paul's life. Those who have had a child die know more clearly what this family is trying to cope with. Jon said that it will truly be their faith that will have to get them through this and they are a very faithful family. Jon called so that I could request prayers for them. Please keep Regina and Andrew Doman in your prayers daily. They need their brothers and sisters in Christ so much.
As Paul and I asked God to bless them and their child Joshua, Paul stopped me from continuing. He said that as I asked for God's blessing of the Doman family and theiir child, the pain in his head went completely away. He said that it was only for a few moments and his head hurt again, the pain was not as bad and it had been gone completely in the time I was praying for the Doman's. I have no explanation of God's intent in all of this. I can only tell you what happened. Paul and I continued to pray and I told Paul to offer up any pain he was experiencing for this family and if we could take some of their pain on to help relieve them, we would accept it gladly. I asked God to allow Regina to feel His peace as I carried thoughts of her in my heart and spirit as I prayed the rosary. I did after I remembered a woman in New Hampshire who had fasted for me when she heard of my son Paul. She also had a son named Paul, who had died and she was offering up her intentions and fasting on my behalf. I had never met her until Jon's wedding and it was one of those incredible examples of selfless love being offered to our family that I prayed I could 'pay forward'. All of these events have happened according to God's timing. We don't have control over His timing, but we have control over how we react to each and every event in our life. I remain ever thankful for the little bit of suffering in our life, as it has helped bring new life into my heart and a deeper awareness of those in need. While we can't be physically present with others as they go through suffering, we can send a garden of prayers to them. Thank you for the 'mountains of flowers' at our house!

Jesus said: "Let anyone who thirsts come to me and drink." (John 7:37) " This psalm reflects the shifting moods of down-heartedness, questioning, and confident joy that can affect the committed believer in the face of the questions and taunts of a disbelieving world. Yet the tears and torrents of discouragement have no power over the waters of life with which God's love renews us."
The timing of today's reflections are evident.

Jon's sisters Marilee and Christine arrived safely last night. Paul was not able to stay up very long, but put in a good effort. We are so happy to have the 'California Fidsnkids' also arriving on Friday. Jon and Marie will be here on Saturday. Paul's next request may be for ear plugs...............smile.

"Hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts throught he Holy Spirit." (Rom 5:5) Let us put our hope in Jesus, our strength and our joy.
May God bless you in your day and all that is in it.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for all you "Fids". How often we Browns have had the blessings of joyful family gatherings. Enjoy, enjoy. Joshua and his family are in my prayers, as I heard about their sadness from my home educators group. Today we lift our hearts in all their sadness and all their joy to you Lord, for you are our strength.
Blessed be God forever.
p.s. thanks for the card.

Anonymous said...

Well be sure to bring an extra pair of ear plugs with us.

What makes you think us Fidero's are loud?.......

We just excited......

See you all tomorrow night.

God Bless you all,

The California Fidero's

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time with your family!

Anonymous said...

Where does the strength come from to finish the race, it comes from within,
May the sun shine warm upon your face, the rains fall soft upon your fields and may you fine piece and the strength needed to see Paul through his to his full recovery

Anonymous said...

The walks are 1/2 the fun Aunt Rebecca! No really i love just being able to spend time with Paul and if it is just taking a short walk to the mailbox with him on my shoulder and his friend in spandex riding his bike in circels around us well i will cherish that! hehe
love ya lots,
see ya in a bit =]
kel

Anonymous said...

uh yeah that comment belongs on the newest blog entry! my bad! haha
x0
O as in "woot"