Monday, July 31, 2006

Baby You Can Drive My Car (Part 2, The Pictures)

(My lunch hour is over and I am still having trouble getting the pictures to copy - will continue my efforts!)

I have to admit, I could hear the voice of Paul's dad in my head as I let Paul get in the driver's seat.........."ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!?!" I was very nervous as I let him drive, but was at total ease when Paul parked the car and put it in gear and turned it off. He did so well and was very careful about it. While he is not ready for the 'real' traffic in Atlanta, he handled the neighborhood very well. Also, I have to give credit where credit is due. I mentioned to Paul and Jerry that I needed to think of a title for the blog concerning Paul's driving. Paul immediately came over to me and started to sing, "Baby you can drive my car".........and we both sang the rest of the verse together. A very fun moment! He told me that I missed the beat though!

Speaking of beats.......

The other thing that Paul did this weekend was terrific also. We went to the store to do a little grocery shopping. I gave him the grocery list while I waited for the deli clerk. I asked him to get the vegetables and fruit in the produce section. He took the list and the first thing on it was beets. James had written the list for me and he had written 'beats' and Paul tapped the cart 3 times and said, "There's your 'beats'. He then said that he knew James really meant to write 'beets'. He walked away and I watched him look for the beets. He could not find them (I was not even sure he knew what they looked like, since I have never in my life purchased them. I thought I hated beets. I found out that I like beets that have been juiced, but not pickled, after Jon made a great veggie smoothy when he was home last.) When he could not find them, I figured he would come back to me or just go to the next item on the list. Instead, he went to a produce clerk who was working in the fruit section and asked where the beets were. The man walked him over to the general area and pointed. Paul still could not find the beets, and he picked up a weird looking bunch of greens and walked over to an older lady and asked her if what he had was beets. She walked back over and could not find the beets either. I had just gotten my order, so walked over to Paul and he said right away that he could not find the beets. I looked and only by chance saw the color of beets in some leaves underneath what Paul had picked up. The beets were way underneath. The lady who had helped Paul came over and she said, "I couldn't find them- where were they?" I showed her and she told Paul she was sorry she had not seen them. Paul said, "In my defense, I was not really sure what beets looked like." Smile. He finished shopping for the rest of the items without a problem He is slow walking, but is thinking more quickly these days!

If you ever have any doubts that any of your prayers were not heard...........go back to the first few pages of this site and you will believe in the power of prayer like we do!

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am literally wiping tears of joy off my cheeks as I type. This is flat out amazing. For some reason these past couple of days I’ve been wondering to myself if Paul would ever drive again, if his condition or just plain fear would keep him from it and when I looked at your title today I just laughed saying “I know where your going with this” while pointing up to the Lord.
It’s amazing how many of our prayers are being answered in these last couple of weeks, with him joining everyone in going out to eat, and his vision and eye movements to this now he’s paying for the meals! :)
After reading that you guys tried to call us I picked up our phone and called Paul. We talked for a short bit and he told me he would have to call me back because he was AT WORK! Jesus Joseph and Mary! I’m so overwhelmed with excitement right now!
Good luck with Savannah I will continue to pray that this visit be the answer to our prayers with Paul’s headaches.
I love you all so much & God bless,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, this blogsite is a constant source of joy and comfort for me. I cry everytime I read it, but I come away with such peace. It strengthens my faith in God's mercy and overwhelming love for each of us. Your wisdom and insight always help me get a better perspective on life and often times provide a good laugh. I've cried buckets over Paul's total dependence on God,his unabashed prayer life and his willingness to suffer so much for the benefit of many others. He is my hero and you're both saints in my book. We just got word that Fr. Colm(of the Home of the Mother) who runs the discernment program at Ave Maria has leukemia. He is such a mighty man of God and has been such a great influence in young men's lives, please ask Paul to pray for his doctors and healing. I encouraged a close friend, who has two daughters in the order with Kathryn, to read the blogsite and be encouraged by all that God is doing through Paul's suffering. We are witnesses to God's love in action. His plan is always the perfect plan. To Him be the glory, Great things He hath done! Thankyou for continuing to minister to us daily through this site. We love all of you so much and are so excited to read of all the wonderful new ventures Paul is having. In Christ, Anne Shea

Anonymous said...

Well congrats Paul, you continue to amaze all of us!!

Rebecca, someone has to go out on that limb and trust Paul to the limit. What we have seen so far is "if Paul say's he can do it, Paul can do it..." We all know if he doesn't thank he can, we hear the good old line "I'm sorry to say but...."

At this rate, before you know it, you'll be sending Paul to the grocery store to do your shopping for you.

Thank you again for continuing this blog. This is such an example of how prayer works. So many of us continue to pray for Paul’s recovery and we continue to see the small steps each day that God has help Paul take.

Paul, you have come so far in the past 81/2 months. You have overcome some many obstacles and proven so many doctors wrong. Keep rising to the challenges!!!

May God’s blessings be with you all as you travel to Savannah tomorrow? We hope this trip will be the answer to so many of your questions and concerns.

Keep us posted this week. It’s a bit of a detour for you walk to California, but I am sure it will be a scenic one. We just can't wait until you make it here!

We love you all and miss you so much.

God Bless,

Love, The Fidsnkids;
Aunt Debi, Uncle Rick, Stephanie and Kelly

Anonymous said...

Great work, Paul. Looks like the long walk to California just got shorter . . . now you can drive! It sounds like you are getting stronger every day -- I hope that means you're pain is getting weaker. You're always in my prayers, and you are an incredible role model for all of us who strive to come into a closer relationship with God. Praise to the King, our refuge and strength. Your family is truly, truly blessed! I pray that your trip to Savannah will be a screaming success. P.S. Hi dear Bec!