Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Right Before Your Eyes

Saturday afternoon we got a call from Dr. Ghaly with the results of his review. He did a conference call with Kelly, Jon and me. He explained that it appears that the source of the hydrocephalus might be from a low grade menningitis infection, which has occured because of an apparent leak of CSF (the brain fluid). He said that going back to the scans of Paul's head done from the very beginning, he says the 2 suspicious locations of a possible leak are the orbital fracture and the skull base fracture. The surgery done in December to reconstruct the orbital on the left side of Paul's face may not have been done correctly, or that the skull base fracture has not healed, which has left an opening whereby the fluid is leaking. If there is a leak of the fluid, it means there is 'communication' between the outside and the inside. That means bacteria can come in, where there is the opening. He said he sees air in the brain on a number of the CT scans, not just the last one taken. The last scan shows air in the ventricle, which is a result of the last surgery and it also shows air in the orbital roof. This would not be due to the last surgery, but from the fact that no one has addressed the problem of the leak. He said that we need a state of the art reconstructive surgeon, along with a skull base surgeon to repair the orbital area and the skull base if necessary. He said that a test where they would put a dye into the lumbar spine would show the doctors where the leak is actually occuring. This dye would travel throughout the spine and the brain, just as the brain fluid does. He also said Paul needed to be tested for menningitis. While we were on the phone, he called the hospital ER and spoke to the ER physician. He told him of his suspicions and asked that this be taken care of. He also spoke to the resident on duty for the Neurosurgery department and explained his findings with her. He said he was sending us to the ER, and asked that they please help us with these tests. He said, "Please don't make them come to Chicago, you have a good university hospital that can do these things for them." He told us to be very strong and to remain Paul's advocates for the care that is still needed. He also said that our persistence is what has saved Paul's life. He told us to remain strong in our faith and to trust.

The most heartening news he gave us was that he did not feel the severity of the brain injury was at the level stated by the original hospital. He did not see signs of this on the scans taken in the days following Paul's accident. He said he saw the clot that was so concerning in the main vein that caused us to fear for Paul's life, but not the difuse axonial injury. He said he is very confident that once these other issues are handled, Paul should recover to a very favorable degree. Whether this could be a miraculous cure or just an incorrect reading of the scans, we are so grateful to God for all that He has done for Paul. We will wait in joyful hope that we will see great progress once we can move Paul's recovery forward.

We went to the ER immediately after Dr. Ghaly spoke to those doctors. When we got there, the doctor who had been on duty was not there, nor did he give the information to the next doctor. We explained what had taken place and the tests that we would like to have done. We were told that the menningitis test was already being conducted. I asked how that was possible and was told that when they took the air out of the shunt tube on Thursday, they did take out brain fluid and had sent it to be tested for menningitis. We were upset that no one told us they were concerned about menningitis, nor that we were told this test was going to be done. We were relieved to hear that the test was still showing negative in the lab. We were told it takes 4 days to get the final results. When we asked about the other test that was suggested be done, we were told that without the directive coming from the neurosurgeon whose care Paul is under, they could do nothing for us. They did do another CT scan and it showed that the air in the ventricle was down in size and so was the ventricle size. We take that to mean the shunt is doing its job. We were a bit deflated that no one took us seriously nor did they tell Dr. Ghaly or us that a menningitis test was already under way. We got home after 10:30 PM and fell into bed.

On Sunday morning, amazingly, Paul got up for Mass. He wanted to go since it was Father's Day. Our family joined Bev and Joe at church. There was not enough room for me to sit there, so I sat with our dear friends, Mark and Patty Palmquist who were behind. I didn't mind at all, as I could look at my sons and husband as I prayed for them! Paul held onto his dad the whole time, as he is pretty weak. What a gift for me, as I looked at all my men.
After Mass, Paul said he wanted a doughnut, but did not feel up to staying. I quickly got him a doughnut and he ate it on the way home. It was great to see him actually ask for food! We received the copy of Dr. Ghaly's summary that would be given to Paul's doctor. It was a very thorough summary, referencing a good many of the CT scans and his opinion of what he was seeing, along with his commentary on the records he read. He has made a number of suggestions and it is our hope that they will be reviewed and acted on. Dr. Ghaly mentioned that he felt these things should be acted upon quickly. We hope it will!

I faxed a copy of the report to the doctor here in Atlanta, asking that an appointment be set up so that we can discuss the findings and a plan of action. I have to admit, I had a terrible night's sleep as I thought about what kind of a response we might get. We don't want to offend anyone, we are just desperate to find solutions. While we are excited that help may be just around the corner, we are also aware that this summary may not be taken seriously, and that means we would have to continue to search for someone who will give it careful consideration. And, Paul is not to be moved because any significant change in air pressure could cause a real problem for him. I woke up and got ready for work and was feeling anxious about what kind of response we would get. As I was drying my hair, I asked God again in my prayer to him - to what point and purpose was all this. I know that His way is what I have prayed to follow and I know that the reasons are His. But I found myself saying that I had to just wonder what all this was about. There are surely many reasons we are being asked to carry this particular cross! But right after I wondered out loud what it might all be about, I had a thought come into my head. I remembered the Rosary Walk we have done for the past few years and how I missed being part of it since Paul's accident. My very next thought was how I used to always voice an intention for the doctors who performed abortions, that great mercy would be theirs. As soon as I remembered this, I turned off the dryer. I smiled as I realized that God was answering that request of mine. My suffering might just be reparation for the sins of one or more of the doctors I used to prayer for. I found great peace in my heart as I dwelled on this. I had gotten what I prayed for!!! The suffering our family has felt might just be our small part in helping with the reparation of the sins being committed each day as approximately 4000 babies are put to death. I smiled and said out loud, "I can do this Jesus. I can keep doing this for those children and those doctors and those parents." I turned the dryer back on and continued getting ready for work, but with the most happy heart I have felt in a while. A point and a purpose. Right Before My Eyes - I have been shown just a glimpse! God did not have to let me know any reason, but I truly feel He graced me with a bit of what the game plan is. At lunch, I shared my thoughts with Paul and he said that it is a very good reason for his pain and he would remember to offer it up for that intention. With his response, I know for a fact that God is working directly with Paul, to bring about His will. I can't picture Paul responding in that way - not before his accident. The child God intends Paul to be is emerging. I am so grateful to be a participant in all of this.

We have not gotten a response from the doctor yet. Surprislingly, I did not feel anxious during the day as we waited to hear back from anyone. I kept thinking about my newly discovered point and purpose and that is where I found my peace. Thanks be to God. I will try to get in contact with his nurse to make sure it was received by him. It may still be sitting on the receptionists desk...........eek!
Pray that the hearts of any doctor who will take part in Paul's recovery will be open to the workings of the Holy Spirit and that they will be given the wisdom to see what is 'Right Before Your Eyes'.

Monday evening, our friends Sharon and Patty came over for a surprise visit. They came to pray with our family. We prayed over Paul and said the rosary. He led us in the second Luminous Mystery. A great ending to a really great day.

May we all be drawn closer to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and may we be blessed to see Him right before our eyes .......in all those around us. We ask this in the name of Jesus, Our Lord.

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

p.s. Paul played his classical guitar and the piano yesterday. Jim really got some activity out of him - 4 walks and music! Praise be to God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fidero:

I got the pleasure of seeing Jon and Marie this weekend!

As always, you're in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

"Light goes on!"
I have been listening to Catholic podcasts. The gentlemen, Dr. Paul Camarata, who podcasts the "Saintcast" is a neurosurgeon in Kansas. In another podcast called "Daily Breakfast", session #130, Dr. Camarata is interviewed. Listen to the podcast (specifically between the 10:30-19:30 minute marks) and see what you think. You might take a shot at getting in touch with him.

http://www.saintcast.org/

DB#130 located at http://www.sqpn.com/ scroll down to that podcast and click the direct link to listen.

Keeping all of you in our prayers!
Paul

Anonymous said...

Instead of wishing you 'good luck' or 'best wishes,' I want to wish you 'good prayers' and 'best prayers'!! Our God is faithful to His word, and He will not ask of one of His servants what they cannot handle. I am sending you my best prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Ghaly confirmed that the problem is all around the brain, not in the brain tissue itself. His brain continues to repair itself regardless of what's going on all around it. God has His plan in place. Praise Him and trust that your love for Paul pales in comparison to His love for Paul.......and for each of us!

Anonymous said...

We are still keeping up with the blog, and we are so glad to hear that you are finally getting some answers. We are praying for you guys, and we love you very much!!!!

~Rachel

PS: Rebecca, your thoughts about your point and pupose brought to mind 1 Peter 4:8: "Above all, love each other deeply, for love covers a multitude of sins." I will pray that you continue to meditate on your purpose in all of this!

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, this is Gabriel Rodriguez, I live in your neighborhood, I go to St. Stephen. My mom knows your mom and Patty and I met your parents in church. In a few weeks is gonna be a year since my accident, I suffered an Axional Brain Injury and still have problems with walking. I just started walking a few weeks ago, but I continue to go on. Im praying for you, dont give up.