Monday, December 12, 2005

The buzz about Paul

Today was a very interesting and also encouraging day for us. But not for Paul. His day started with a buzz cut. He was very restless as they cut his hair. They had shaved his head for the plastic surgery, and the cut today was to even out his hair all over. He looks so much more like Paul. But, he didn't act very much like Paul. He was very agitated, and kept trying to get us out of the way so he could propel himself out of the room, using his feet to move the wheelchair. He was mad when he wasn't allowed to leave. When he was asked what kind of a cast he wanted for his foot (to help stretch the tendon on his left foot) he impatiently wrote NORMAL. What they wanted actually was the color, since he could have any color he wanted. When asked what color, he wrote NORMAL again, with 2 exclamation marks after it, which let us know he didn't really care about this topic. He pointed to the door to let us know he was heading out. But he wasn't allowed to go because the speech therapist still had some things she needed to do with him. We hugged him, blessed him and left at this point to attend a class and a meeting.

We have to attend some classes to help us prepare for the care of Paul when he comes home, and to learn more about brain injuries and possible outcomes. We will be meeting with the doctors and therapists this week to find out the projected discharge date and to get a summary of Paul's overall medical condition at this point.

We learned about the different areas of the brain and I would have liked learning about all of this more if it weren't such a personal matter!! The term 'ignorance is bliss' came to mind. It was easier facing the future not knowing so many details about brain injuries and which ones applied to Paul. Some of it could make anyone feel worried or anxious, but when I started to worry about what all might be injured in Paul's brain, I prayed and asked God to help us accept whatever He wills in Paul's recovery. I not only found comfort in praying , but also the fact that the brain can take up to 2 years or more to completely heal. We had heard that healing stops after 6 months. We learned that the brain wants to set things right and will keep at it for a long time. What a marvel our bodies are. The mystery of the brain and how it works certainly confirms for us that God must exist. There is still so much unknown about the brain, and may never be known due to the complexity of its processes. We were told that Paul has youth on his side and his prior level of intelligence and experiences add to the chances of a good recovery. If he had been a drug user, or had not finished high school, and had major problems with discipline before - those would be factors for a lower expectation of good recovery. (So my guess is, we can say goodbye to any chance of his ever cleaning his room without an act of congress being passed...some things will not change...smile.) We also learned that we should expect Paul to be a good bit like himself, with subtle changes in some of his abilities. Again, over time, with rehab and family support, he should be able to overcome obstacles. What they didn't say, but we know to be true, is that with God EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE. We continue to pray for God's healing graces to help Paul in all ways. At the same time, we thank God for the gift of His Son Jesus, who taught us about suffering.
Luke 14:27
"And whosoever does not carry his cross and come after me cannot be my disciple."

I hope more than anything else in life, that when I die I hear these words of God- "well done my good and faithful servant". So I pray each day for these gifts:
1. patience- as we wait with our son for God's will in his life and ours
2. more perfect love of Jesus - so that others can see Jesus in us
3. humility - so that our lives will reflect the Glory of God

This whole incident has me remembering daily, the words that we do not know the time or the day, but live each day as if it were your last. Yes, I believe I had better pick up the pace!

Back to Paul - he ended up in restraints today. He was trying to take his trach out once again, along with the belts they have on him to keep him from trying to get up out of the wheelchair. Actually, what they have used is like a boxing glove. Also, when he was told he would not be put back in bed, he 'walked' himself down to the gym and slid down in his wheelchair and propped his feet up on the table that has the mats on it. He was clearly unhappy that he was not getting his way. When lunch came, he wouldn't eat. At this point, I have to admit, I was relieved we could leave the area so the therapist could get him calmed down and could work with him. We were told he is getting into stage 4, which is the stage where the person will act out with different degrees of anger and frustration. It is a very natural step towards recovery and so we are grateful he will have trained therapists to help him through this stage. He is not acting like this on purpose, it is the way the brain is responding to the trauma he suffered and the recovery process. It is so hard to watch our son have to go through this. But praise be to God we get to. That is what we always remind ourselves...........we get to watch Paul RECOVER. In God's way and in God's time.

Speaking of time, I have used up too much of yours!

May you have an increase in the gifts of faith, hope and love in this miraculous Christmas season.
Peace to you, our brothers and sisters in Christ,
Jon and Rebecca Fidero

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Neighbors,

I do hope you realize that helping Paul overcome his obstacles will not just be the work of therapists and you, his family. You have a legion of friends, parishoners, neighbors and relatives who eagerly hope for the chance to be with Paul. Some will encourage his music, some will watch movies with him, some will want to just sit with him and marvel at his recovery. So will want to help you with chores, and stay with Paul while you all have a "date", or anything else you all might want or need. I know there are many of us just waiting for the chance to be of service to your family, and will gladly jump up to help. You have known since the instant the accident happened, that you have had God with you. Please also realize that you have a large community with you, too. We can't WAIT for Paul to come home!

And...thanks for the reminder. Patience is a virtue of which we can always use more!!!

Take good care of all of you!

Connie & Ron Aylor

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Once again you have brought me to tears as I realize how petty I can be with the immensely small obstacles in my path. Thank you for opening my eyes and my heart yet once again through your witness to God. God is with you, in you and working through you. I love you Paul. I will walk humbly today and offer my sorrows and aggravations up for you that your recovery may be swift, complete and as painless as possible for you and your loved ones (who are also my very dear loved ones also). Peace be with you all today.

Aunt MB

Anonymous said...

the chair in the back of the truck photo... classic!

Anonymous said...

The Grandpa Brown sap gene just kicked in - you guys are killing me!

Anonymous said...

Keep going Paul, you are doing great! By the way, how was the ride in the chair in the bed of the truck? I will have to try that one day.
Fidero's
I bet that it is wonderful to see Paul recovering.Thank you for posting the pictures and keeping the blog updated. I am praying for you and Paul. God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, what you wrote and escpecially this entire experience has really put into perspective for me and given criticle meaning to the saying "live life like theres not tomorrow" it is so true and so important to do so. I have come to be a better person and more Godly person due to this whole experience and i know that this was all part of Gods plan, but not just for me, for everyone its affected, there is no question about that. I am so incredibly glad that Paul is improving, it makes me more and more excited everytime i read the updates and i can't help but Praise God everytime I read about your guys strength. Thanks for your constent updates and God Bless all of you,
x0x0 K Fiddy

Anonymous said...

I am only 20 but my whole life has been a constant test of faith. It's a long story but I really want to share some of it with you all, if that's ok with you. My parents were young and irresponsible when I was born and as a result, my brother and I were taken from them. Jon and I were raised by our maternal grandmother and her then husband, who sadly passed away Feb. 22, 1995 due to brain cancer. Mama and Papa spent 7 long years going back and forth to court and fighting for custody as well as dealing with many other problems that arose within the family. Words were exchanged, curses were made, we even had angry family memebers stalk us for a while. We had to move around so many times, I cannot count them on both hands. It was a constant physical battle not to mention the spiritual battles we endured. In the midst of all this, God placed us into the life of a wonderful woman who introduced us to a "real" church. And I say real because we had never seriously went to a church for the purpose of serving God. This was an amazing church and it went from a one-time visit to being full-time members and even getting baptised. I was 7 years old and I can't begin to tell you the amazing things God has done in my life since that year. God provided all the funds for court costs. He stopped a woman in mid sentence as she attempted to lie to the court. He surrounded me with the strongest people of faith. My papa went from being a chain smoker and alcoholic to being an ordained minister within just 2 years! He sent a total stranger to our front door on Christmas Eve one year with bags full of gifts. And not just any gifts but ones that we had asked for and even some we needed! I have seen an evagelist go from having a heart swollen to the size of a basketball to giving a wild and spirit-filled sermon within a few months. I cannot count or even tell you all the miracles I've seen without taking too much time and space on here. But what I wanted to tell you is that Paul is a HUGE inspiration. I have endured many tests of faith and tons of attacks from Satan. This year has not been the best for me and I had fallen into a very frightenly deep depression. I was looking for something to hold onto. I needed to see another miracle as it is well overdue compared to the trials I've been through. Every Christmas is a blessing to me as I remember that stranger and more especially, Jesus' birth. However, since my papa died, it's just not been the same and I have become worn over the last several years. I was reaching out to God for renewed strength and faith and He showed me that I already had it...in a wonderful friend, who happens to be a big fan of Paul's. He posted the link to this blog and I came across it. The rest is history. I would love to share more of my story. Hopefully, there will be an opportunity to do so. Until then, don't give up because I have seen God's hand with my own eyes and I know the power of his Holy Spirit. My favorite verse will be the best closing, I think. I appologize for this comment being so long.

Philippians 4:13 says: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Merry Christmas! God bless you all as He has blessed me!