Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Boot Camp

I cannot help but be amazed and filled with awe at God's love for His children as I wake each new day of our family's new life. I have often wondered how people worked their way through sorrowful and sometimes very tragic circumstances. I would always thank God for not letting it happen to my family, because I could not in my wildest imagination picture me getting through it. And I was right. I could not have done this.........alone. I was terrified of anything like this happening because I had such a small concept of what God's love could do. He has shown our family that He truly is everywhere - in every person created and in the beauty of our world. We read what everyone is entering on this site, and are so assured that God is with each and everyone of us. This is not just for our family - it is for everyone to see that God is calling us all to a new life. In God's name, all is possible. Need some proof? Well then, here's some more proof that your prayers are being answered.

I stand corrected !!!! Paul did not take a week to get off the ventilator - he was taken off yesterday at 10:30 am. And the fun began. His heart rate had been up over 145 and they decided to see if he could go it alone. His heart rate is down to around 125-130 and by day's end, that is where it remained. So, they got him up and sat him on the side of the bed. He held his back very straight on his own, and they helped him hold his head up to strengthen the neck muscles. He has a soft neck collar on, which helped keep his head from dropping low once he could not hold his head up. The physical therapist had him bring out his right leg to where her foot was, then bring it back. She asked him to bring out his left leg, which he could not seem to do. She said she would let him lay back down if he could bring his left foot out. Paul did not have the strength to do that, but had the cognitive ability to solve the problem. He used his right foot to push his left foot forward! The therapist got a good laugh out of that and gave him points for problem solving, which was a better deal than strength in the left foot. It was another moment of triumph where I kept saying thank you God, thank you God! I cannot believe the joy I have been given in all of this. This very scenario was what I once considered to be a mother's nightmare..............having to watch your child try to come back from a debilitating injury. Yet I was filled with utter joy. My previous pain is being matched with my present joy. Yes Lord, Yes Lord, Yes Yes Lord.

The speech therapist came in after they got Paul into his wheelchair. She told Paul that since he was doing so well, she would block the trach tube and let him breathe through his mouth. He didn't open his mouth, but breathed through his nose. He did not have to work any harder to do this. He was breathing on his own and not showing signs of distress. Then he was asked to try to say something. He did not seem to be interested in this. They will try again today, only they are going to work on his swallowing ability, and will bring an instrument that will allow Paul to speak and be heard. I can hardly wait - hope Paul is sharing this thought too! The therapist was not sure he was understanding what she was asking, so she had him distinguish between a shirt and a sock, and then a ball and a stuffed bear. To those who know about the bear...........it is Paul's from when he was a young child. BeBe is once again close by Paul's side. (He recognized the bear right away when we brought it in.) Paul was able to do all that she asked, and also used his fingers to show he understood her as she counted. She asked him to show her the number of fingers for each number she said. Then she asked what came after 4, he showed her 5 fingers. This lets her know he is understanding her and what she is asking so that today she can work harder to get him to use his vocal chords. These are all steps to the removal of the trach at some point down the road. Not sure when, and can't give an estimate, as it is up to Paul's ability to follow commands and attain a level of independence. Also it will depend on Paul's attitude - and he has shown some real attitude after repeated drills and requests. He'd never make it in the Army.
But I will help him understand the term 'the sooner, the better'. No pressure here Paul, just a bunch of people waiting to hear you speak! He was up for about 4 hours total, and was asked to do a lot of things. He was beat when they laid him back down.

Last week they brought some dogs in for therapy for the patients. They brought in a Pug for Paul to pet, but he wouldn't even look at the dog and closed his eye. The issue is - Paul loves his Golden Retriever Abby, and he likes a black lab that he saw everyday downtown while he was living in the dorms at GSU - he has never shown any interest in small dogs. He is extremely partial to bigger dogs, most especially goldens and labs. I noticed that they had a golden retriever out at the nurses station, so I asked them to bring that dog in. 'Misty' put her head on the bed and her paw and Paul immediately started to pet her and he even fed her a biscuit. We were told that we could bring in Abby for Paul, we just had to make an appointment and work out the logistics since she will need to be brought in through the fire escape. So that is something we will work out for Paul.

We went to visit Paul after dinner, and he was very tired. It was a big day and all the activity during the day should help him cycle back to sleeping at night.

Today, I am going to see if they can put his chair by his window so he can look at something other than the doorway to his room. I will try to find the time to update this in the afternoon - but each day is very hard to predict, as I don't know when the therapists will come.

So, here we are at day 25 and only 2 tubes left to get rid of, after getting rid of 6! Praise God and thanksgiving to all of you!
Love,
Jon and Rebecca Fidero

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon, Rebecca, Paul and Family-
Posted at 3:57 AM!? Are you getting up or going to bed?!?! As I said in a previous note, I'm a paulfidero blog junkie--I read every jot and title! We pray for Paul nightly in our family time, but we will shift some of the focus to those at home--life has a way of going on despite calamity, doesn't it? I wish we could be there to be more help...
Paul, don't give up! You didn't get to be an accomplished musician by being a quitter, and you didn't earn a good reputation at DTSi by being a quitter--this is tough, but you can do it simply by not quitting. Each step is an important step towards getting home and back into the life you so cherish. We're all rooting for you here, and our prayers are that God would grant to you a full and speedy recovery--hang in there!
Uncle Mark, Aunt Rebecca and Family

Anonymous said...

Joy, chills and tears in Naperville!

Just give us the go ahead and Abby dog will be in the next jeep leaving town for Atlanta.

It seems that every day of struggle is met soon afterward by a day of significant progress.

Jon and Rebecca, Kelly and I thank you for inspiring us to pursue and grow our faith and the example you set for Kelly and I as parents. My children will be the better for it.

Love
KB

Anonymous said...

Jon, Rebecca & family,
I learned of Paul's accident from my son, who attends Ave Maria. Your incredible faith is inspiring
and humbling to me. As someone who has spent a lot of time lately, wrapped up in my own petty (by comparison) problems and worries, reading your posts has been a much needed wake-up call. Thank you for your unfailing hope and faith. God bless you and Paul and may his recovery be the answer to all your prayers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
Last night Aunt Bev & I were hearing of your taking the therapast to task about moving the feet. Strong will and God speed. You have the Spirit in you to survive all things and show us the way. Be strong and listen to what God has in store for you. Be a light to us all. I pray that all of our spiritual strengths will be as strong as your determination to succeed.
Love to you and all the Fidero Family
Uncle Joe

Anonymous said...

Dear Neighbors,

What triumphs! There is just no telling what Paul will accomplish in his whole life. This is all exciting, and adventurous and inspiring. I am so lucky to be able to read all about him and share the excitement with my co-workers and friends. Thank you for sharing Paul with us!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Dear Fid’s,

You are all walking in the shoes of every family’s fear of their “worst nightmare” coming true. I am sure that all the parents out there have felt the very same way as you Rebecca. Especially once our children start driving and then moving out on their own. I know I have said the same thing, as many of you probable have also, “I would always thank God for not letting it happen to my family, because I could not in my wildest imagination picture me getting through it.”

We all know the old saying, “God does not give us more then we can handle.” But I don’t know anyone who would think they could handle anything like this, especially during Paul’s first week.

I can not imagine what your entire family must have been thinking and going through especially during those first few days. I know how we California Fid’s were doing, and it was not so good. Because we live so far apart, the only thing we could do was to, “Start Praying.” This we did, and we emailed, called, posted on myspace, and asked everyone we could to Pray for Paul also. We were so amazed by the overwhelming responses we have received from everyone.

It has become so obvious to us and I am sure to others also, that God has used your family to show so many of us, “What True Faith in God” is. To put you’re “Total Faith in Him.” You were put to the test and you have received an “A+.” But in doing so, you have brought so many people to believe in God. Some, who have always been strong, are stronger now. Some who knew God, but not so personally, now have a more personnel relationship with Him. Even those who have strayed have now come back to Him.

We actually witnessed this personally. One of Steph’s friends that she called on the first Monday night and asked her to pray, told us on Tuesday, after she received word on Pauls progress, “That her Faith was restored, she had not prayed in over a year.” After seeing God answer our pray Monday night, she thanked Steph for asking her to pray again.” Every time I tell this story, even right now, it brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Due to all of this, we to, now have a closer relationship with God. I believe that you are right, “God is calling us all to a new life.”

To all of you Fidero’s, thank you all so much for taking the time to keep everyone posted, especially you Rebecca, for taking the time each day. We Fid’s are also “Blog Junkies.” We are constantly logged on and reading every message from everyone. We find it so amazing how God has touched so many through this experience. Praise God!!!

Paul, we are so proud of you and your progress. Keep it up, July will be here before you know it and Uncle Rick and I want to climb “Stone Mountain” with you, assuming it not to hot for us old folks.

God Bless You All,

Love, Aunt Debi

Anonymous said...

yeah!

Anonymous said...

Great news!!
Did not know Paulie felt that way about small dogs!


Leggo man

Anonymous said...

Fidero Family
The news in this post is amazing! Paul has shone great stregth in his recovery, and great taste when it comes to dogs. The one word I thoght of when I read this post was "wow" Keep going Paul! I'm Praying for you, and hope that you recover your ability to speek.

Anonymous said...

Dear Fidero;s
Just came home for lunch, and had to read the update. Paul you are great. You have so much left to give. Hang in there with all the work you have to do to get stronger, and we will pray pray pray. Abby the dog is a great dog. Paul has good taste.