Thursday, December 01, 2005

Best Birthday Gift Ever !

There is so much to tell today!

Last night, Paul's dad and brother (Jon and Mike) went to the hospital because they had purchased a Magna Doodle and wanted to see if we could find a way to communicate with Paul. Mike wrote HEY PAUL! with a smiley face. He showed it to Paul and Paul reached for the 'pen' and in script wrote what I believe was supposed to be Paul Fidero. It was totally legible except for the P, l and i, which Paul did dot correctly. The dot was directly over the i. Later Paul was holding one of the small stuffed animals which he has on the bed, for squeezing as therapy and also a distraction. Hi dad asked him to toss it to him and Paul did. So Jon asked him again to toss it and he did. Then Mike said "hey, throw it to me" which Paul did. They were both so excited when they got home, telling me what Paul had done.

I went into the room this morning very happy and said "Good morning Paul! Today is my birthday, and since you may not have a card for me, just give me a smile". He looked at me for a moment and I thought that he might not have understood, but then he gave me a smile. It was a small smile, but I as very happy. I noticed that he might have paralysis on the left side of his face, since only the right side of his mouth went into a smile. I will place that on the list of things I pray God will heal.

Later, they had him up in the straight backed wheelchair and I was just talking to him about what is going on in the family, and what time of year it is. The nurse came in and noticed that there is a small keyboard in the room, so she asked Paul to play it. He looked at her and the keyboard and did not respond. After she walked out I told Paul that I knew some of the things that were being asked of him was just to let us know how he was doing and if he understood us. I picked up the keyboard and said, "just let me know if you understand what I am asking and touch the note C". He used his first finger and showed me the C of all 3 octaves! I hugged him and hugged him. I told him that was the best birthday gift I have ever received!

He seemed to try to show me something and I felt so helpless as I did not know what he wanted. So I got the Magna Doodle and drew a body and asked if he was hurting, show me where. He drew a perfect arrow pointing to the shoulder. I moved the pillow that was being used to prop up his left arm (due to the broken scapula). I asked if he was okay, and he then drew a large dot on the figure, right where his lung is. I explained to him that he had hit his head and had bruised his lung badly, drawing on the figure to show him where. He listened very intently as I explained in very general terms what happened to him, pointed to his legs and arms saying they were not broken, and then explained about the tube for his lungs. He seemed to understand. I told him not to be upset or discouraged. A nurse came in and told Paul that he was truly a miracle child. I let him know that what he has done in 5 days can take others a month. I asked him to keep working hard and to try to move his legs and arms so they gain their strength back. His left foot fell off the foot rest, and he was almost able to bring it back to the foot rest. He moved it too far forward, but he lifted it high enough. After a while longer he had to be put back into bed, as his heart rate was up and his right leg was shaking a little bit.

When I left this afternoon, the therapists were back to get him to sit on the side of the bed. He needs to be up as often as possible to help keep bed sores from occuring and also to build his strength. It also helps his lungs to be upright.
We will be back with him after dinner, so if he is not too tired from the day, I might get the 'icing on the cake' with other fantastic signs of his recovery!

It is a shame there is no word that explains how awesome our God is or the abundance of love that He gives to each of us. I have tried to think of some way to let everyone I know just what we are feeling and experiencing - but it is all too HUGE to describe. Just take time to listen and to see all the goodness of the Lord. I will liken it to standing in the rain with your umbrella over you. The graces are pouring down all around us everyday, but we are often just too worried about getting wet! God let us get soaked this time!!

May all of your birthdays be as wonderful as mine was today.
Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all,
Love,
Jon and Rebecca Fidero

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Fidero,
I just read the update on Paul. I am so very happy about his progress. WHAT A WONDERFUL YOUNG MAN HE IS.
I hope that you enjoy the remainder of your birthday.
GOD BLESS ALL THE Fidero's everywhere. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Susan Nelson (Brad Staton's mom)

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Becky,
I know the best birthday gift ever...a miracle!
There actually was snow on your birthday, only it was in Chicago, not Atlanta. I also pray for you guys, and a full recovery from paul. After Paul recovers, not only we can see him in great shape, he can see us!!!!

Happy birthday.
Love,
Griffin

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful day for you and Paul. A gift of Paul's smile is priceless!

Thank you so much for your witness. You will never know what you faith in God has done to strengthen our's.

God bless you, Merrilyn

Anonymous said...

Praise God for this great news!!!!!! Happy Birthday and you can have one of the hats too Rebecca!!!!! What glorius news, I wish I could spell Halleujah. Keep going Paul and getting better, We think about you all day and pray for your recovery continually.

Richard

Anonymous said...

Mrs Fidero

Happy Birthday! Out of all the Birthdays I have seen, you are the one with the priceless gift.I am amazed at Paul's recovery, and am reading the blog every day.Thanks for keeping the blog updated.I'm praying for Paul and your family, and hope to see more miracles.

Anonymous said...

Paul- I am so proud of you! I can certainly see that God's hand is present in everything!
To the Fideros- I admire you for your strong faith. You're all an inspiration to me! I'm keeping you all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. Fidero!!! I'm so happy to hear that Paul is improving. Paul and the rest of your family continue to be in my prayers everyday. You all are an amazing family!

God Bless You,
Keri Johnson

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled to hear of Paul's progress! We have been praying every day for the lord to bless your family. What a wonderful birthday present! Please tell Paul that we think of him often, and we hope someday soon we can visit.

In peace,
Mike, Ashleigh, and Aidan Deegan

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

“Happy Birthday”

Thank you for sharing your joy with us today. What a wonderful gift for your birthday, you can't compare a smile from Paul to any other gift. Paul is more aware of you and your presence every day. He is so lucky to have you for his mother; you are "One Of A Kind!"

Because of you and your family and witnessing your faith, and the joy you see in everything each day, it has changed our outlook in life so much. You are all an inspiration to so many.

Paul, we will be praying for you tomorrow during your surgery. God will be the one leading these doctors and we are sure they will do a Great Job. We pray for a quick recovery and that you continue everyday to get your strength back.

We love you all so much and miss you,

God Bless you all,
Uncle Rick, Aunt Debi, Stephanie & Kelly

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this everyday to see Paul's recovery. I only met him a few times but your family has been inspiring to me. You mentioned that you wish there were a word to discribe all of the love that God gives/shows us. A friend of mine told me it was called JAH love. I'm not sure what JAH means or if it stands for something, but it means unconditional love. Very fitting. Happy Birthday and God Bless

Anonymous said...

im sure glad you had happy birthday
keep it pu

Anonymous said...

i bet this is the best birthday you will ever have. keep it uppaul and get uot of there.