Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Can you hear me now?

I started back to work yesterday and I have to admit, I was apprehensive about how well I would be able to handle it. One of the reasons was I remembered about the screen saver on my monitor at work and I started to cry. A couple of weeks prior to the accident, I thought I had lost the screen saver that my oldest son Jon had drawn for me as a surprise. He had come to see me at work and I wasn't there, so he left a message for me - "Peace in Christ Mom, I miss you, Love Jon" - and it was there for me when I got back. It had been my screen saver for the last 2 years. It was not there one day when I came in and turned on my computer and so I called Paul to help me locate it and restore it. I always called Paul when I had computer problems and he never failed to solve the problem. We were able to find it and as we were about ready to restore it, he said "Wait, give me a minute." After about a minute of waiting, he led me through a few more steps and there on my screen was a new screen saver he had drawn and he said "It is my turn to have a message for you." The picture he drew was of the sun with blue sky and a few soft clouds, and along the bottom, green grass and 3 flowers - and to the right side it said "I love you, Paul."
The rememberance of this and the pictures I have all around my desk left me wondering if I would be of any use at work. But my fears were quickly replaced with happiness as everyone came over to greet me and hug me. It was so wonderful to see my dear friends and be surrounded by people I know so well. I didn't realize just how much I had missed everyone. For 5 weeks, I was mostly among strangers in the hospitals or the quick trips into grocery stores on my way home. And one more time, it was my friends at GuideOne Insurance who helped me get through!! God has blessed me with a terrific place to work and has helped me see even more clearly that I am among some of the most faith filled and generous people around.

Paul was wide awake last night and he did a most curious thing. He does not really attempt to talk to us. Every once in awhile he moves his lips ever so slightly, but you can't really make out any words he might be saying. His brother James handed him a cell phone and showed him how to take pictures with it. Paul tried to take a picture, then he called Jon's cell phone. Jon was sitting on the bed, right in front of him. Jon answered his phone and Paul actually was trying to talk and was doing it better than we had seen before. Jon asked him a few questions, and he could hear Paul's answer very faintly and could also read his lips to be more sure of what he was saying. They had a short conversation like this and then they hung up. Paul didn't attempt to talk again. I was wondering if his hearing was maybe affected, but then remembered he follows commands of the therapists just fine. So I don't believe that is the reason he doesn't try to talk. He will nod his head yes or no - but doesn't ever try to really speak. Of course, this might be the answer to our question -What should we get Paul for Christmas? Looks like a set of walkie talkies will about do it!

We are waiting to hear about when Paul will see the opthamologist. While he is still paralyzed on the left side of his face, his left eye is showing movement. You can see it moving under his lid (which is still not open) when he is sleeping. It had not been moving when the doctor at Gwinnet Medical last checked it. So that is a small step forward. We don't mind how small the step is- we just watch the direction Paul heads in! Forward is always good!

Keep your sights on Jesus as you walk through your day and rejoice in all the Glory of God around you.
We wish you the peace of Jesus today,
Love,
Jon and Rebecca Fidero

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How odd and yet, comforting it must be to get back to some sort of "regular routine". This journey on which you all find yourselves has to include "ordinary" along with all the "extraordinary" you have experienced over the last 5 weeks. Paul is in such good hands, and I hope you can take comfort in that and go about the work YOU have to do. Clearly, Paul is doing his work very well. It is exciting for us to see each day!

God bless all of you.

Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul - I'm always elated to hear of your progress nearly every day when I get to read the updates on this site. You're a tough young man. We'll be thinking great thoughts of you, your progress along with your family (especially during the holidays). Need some guitar lessons for Ryan. Hope you'll agree to teach him next time you're in Naperville.

All our best! The Carlson's

Anonymous said...

Der Fidero family,
You guy's continue to be in our thoughts, and prayers everyday.
The daily updates have caused me to think more about God and the real meaning of life. We all belong to him, we just don't live our lives that way. God Bless, and the prayers will not stop.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
I'm glad you got to go back to work to be with all the good Guideone people, but know your heart is still at Shepherd with Paul. I hope work doesn't take too much time away from Paul and the fabulous writings you are giving all of us. You have quite a gift of writing - i enjoy so much the updates on Paul along with the "Rebecca" humor you seem to be able to weave into your writings. The other day I went through my mail and saw the Georgia bulletin. I found myself looking to see if there was an article about Paul in there. I didn't see one, but would not be at all surprised if Paul's miracle story were to be in it sometime in the future.
I miss working with you, take care and hang in there,
Love and prayers to you and yours,
Pam Lovette