Friday, March 24, 2006

Wind Beneath My Wings

Marcia and Amanda getting Paul ready to leave. These were 2 of the most incredible staff of medical professionals who have helped us since November 11. We have been blessed indeed. Paul's eyes will be sensitive to light for a few days, which is why his are closed. He does give his thumbs up sign which we were glad to see.








Abby Dog greets Paul with a sock - what a loyal and awesome dog!











There is no place like home.

After getting home yesterday around 2 P.M. Paul walked in and laid on the first couch in sight. I fed him through his tube and he slept for 2 hours without moving a muscle. I got him up so that he could get to his room and not be woken when Michael and Jon came in. He settled into his bed and again, fell asleep quickly. He woke up fairly refreshed and ready for more food. He had not had trouble holding down the food I had previously fed him, so I got him to eat some yogurt and fruit, then finished with a little more formula in the tube. He wanted me to read to him, so we continued with a book from the Chronicles of Narnia. The household was quiet by 9 P.M. and Paul slept until midnight. I asked how his head was feeling and he said it was about a 4 on a scale of 1 - 10. I decided to give him only a tylenol, to keep his stomach from getting upset with the prescription pain medication. I also fed him a little bit more formula and he slept until 6:30 A.M. I believe he would have slept longer had there not been the noise of Michael and Jon getting ready for school and work.

Michael came into Paul's room and told him he would see him later and then said "I'm out of here like the fat kid in dodge ball" and Paul actually chuckled out loud. He was feeling very good and I got him more food. He stayed awake for about an hour and at one point when he had gotten up to use the restroom, Abby was almost tripping him as she stuck by him. Paul sat on the edge of his bed and Abby brought him a sock to play tug with. He smiled at her, but then laid back down. He was feeling dizzy (and will for awhile) from the surgery and from laying down so much. Abby seemed to understand and went back to the foot of Paul's bed and laid there with the sock still in her mouth. She's will be ready for the next opportunity.

She has been very frisky since we have been home and gets all excited when Paul moves. It was so funny yesterday when we got home. I opened the garage door to go in that way and then opened the door to the family room. Abby met me there with a sock and bounded out to the car and waited by the door where Paul was, sock in mouth. She always greets us with whatever object was nearest to her (which is always socks in our house). I had my camera with me, so quickly got the picture I included today. It is a visual aid to how happy we all felt at our arrival home!

This morning, I again was given signs that God will not forsake us. As I opened the drawer to get a plastic baggie, there was a penny. I responded with "yes God, I trust in you." I went up and gave Paul his medicine and then took some clothes to the washing machine to catch up on laundry. I opened the washer and there at the bottom was another penny. I laughed and repeated it again, that I do trust in God.
I then walked into the living room and as I sat reading the comments posted on the blog site, the sun was reflecting off the mirror in the dining room onto my lap. The beveled mirror caused the light to be refected as a rainbow, which went across me. At this moment, all the stress of the last few days made me cry just a little. The statue of the Blessed Mother and the crucifix were directly in front of me on the opposite wall. I immediately thanked them both for staying with our family through all of this. Trusting in God does not mean that all sorrow and pain will be kept from us. It means that God will be there constantly and will lead us accordingly, if we allow it. He brought me the much needed rest last night, and a great peace this morning in the knowledge that He is with us. He will bring us everything we need in each moment if we just perservere in walking toward our REAL home.

I walked outside to the back deck and thanked God with my prayers, and was rewarded with birds chirping like crazy, white flowers opening on the dogwood trees and a cool breeze blowing gently through the trees while the sun filtered through them. God is the Wind Beneath My Wings. It doesn't get any better than these glimpses of heaven I have been allowed to experience.

We pray you receive the peace that comes from heaven today,
Jon and Rebecca

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear you are both home and able to get some real rest. There’s no place like home….. Not to mention that unconditional love that Abby shares.

Rebecca thanks again for sharing with all of us bloggers. As I have said before, you have me thinking differently about life and my walk with Christ.

A funny story, well to me anyway, since it is something you would normally never find me doing….. Well, yesterday I was outside with Rayo, (Lightning in Spanish) our new puppy, and his brother Thunder, who our neighbors have adopted and I noticed all the weeds that are trying to take over our yard from all the rain that we have had. So while the boys were playing I decided to pull a few weeds (yes me, and yes, seeing is believing, I actually left the piles for Rick to pick up when he got home or he never would of believed I actually got dirt under my nails, I don’t like bugs either, so I leave the yard work to Rick. But then again, he does have the Fidero Green Thumb and doesn’t really need my help….could this to be a blessing too? lol) so back to my story, of course as I came across some of those stubborn roots, your story about weeds and sin came right back to me. I know I said I would never think of weeding the same, and I didn’t. I actually took a few moments to ask God to Forgive me for all my sins and to Thank Him for all my blessings. Then I made sure to get those stubborn roots pulled out and not leave them to harvest again.

As I write this, I am also lessoning to all the birds singing. We have so many in all our trees right now; it is quite a beautiful sound. Thanks to you for reminding me of these little blessing from Heaven that we so easily take for granted.

Well, I am so happy to hear Paul rested and his pain is down to a four. It sounds like you might be back on the right track real soon.

Keep up the fight Paul. We are all cheering you on.!!!! God is your trainer and he is walking with you each step of the way, just as we are.

We love you all and miss you.

God bless you,

Aunt Debi

Anonymous said...

I dont have anything to say really, I'm sitting here at work feeling unmotivated to actually DO work, so I read the blog, did a random google search on Paul Fidero (try it if you haven't yet).

Anonymous said...

+JMJ+

Mrs. Fidero and Family,

I am very glad to hear all went well with the surgery. Paul, I pray for you every day and know our Lord has you in His hands. All in His timing. Mrs. Fidero, thank you for your example of constant love for Christ through all the trials. I continue to pray for you and the family that all will experience Christ's Divine Mercy and Love as you have. Know you have my love and prayers.
In Him,
kathryn shea

Anonymous said...

+JMJ+

Mrs. Fidero and Family,

I am very glad to hear all went well with the surgery. Paul, I pray for you every day and know our Lord has you in His hands. All in His timing. Mrs. Fidero, thank you for your example of constant love for Christ through all the trials. I continue to pray for you and the family that all will experience Christ's Divine Mercy and Love as you have. Know you have my love and prayers.
In Him,
kathryn shea

Anonymous said...

Rebecca & Family,

I am so glad to hear that you all are "working thru the chaos". We miss you, Rebecca, here at Guide One. You always have such a bright smile on your face when I would pass you in the mornings. I hope everything is in it's place for you and your family and that Paul get the much needed rest that he deserves. You have been in my thoughts much lately as i haven't seen you at work in a while. Just wanted to let you know we are all still praying for Paul and the Fidero Family for a great recovery.

My father always tells me, time is always on your side, God will always show you a way of peace if you are willing to embrace him!

I miss ya Rebecca, but a mother's duties are never at end! You are doing a wonderful job!

Tasha Ayers

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! What a wonderful blog you posted...especially the pennies.

Were they "Pennies from Heaven"?

Thank you thank you thank you for keeping us included on this wonderful journey!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Hey paul
I am praying for you.

Anonymous said...

That is so funny that Mike said "im out like a fat kid in dodgeball!" i always say that haha, that and "im out like a def kid in musical chairs"
I love you guys so much! Keep up the good work Paul! God Bless
x0x0
kel

Anonymous said...

dear paul, rebecca & bev -
i have continued to follow paul's progress, and still pray for all of you daily. paul's progress is truly miraculous.
rebecca - you have found your calling. forget being an adjuster..your writings are such an inspiration to all who read. i think God's special gift to you shines everytime you write.
if i could, i would like to ask you to pray for someone who is very near and dear to me, and very ill. as of yet the doctors do not know what the problem is. but there is absolute power in prayer.

god bless you all,
sheila