Thursday, March 23, 2006

It Won't Be Long

Last night Paul asked me where I had slept the night before. I told him in the chair beside his bed. I said I had slept there the past 2 mights, then mentioned it was why I looked so tired and that I really hoped we would be going home soon. He said, "You sleep in the bed tonight and I will take the chair." I laughed and said, "Can you imagine what the nurse would do if she walked in and found me in the bed and you, who had brain surgery, was in the chair? She would drop kick me out the door!" He replied very matter of factly, "Not if I told her it was my idea." What a great son! Won't keep you in suspense..............I slept in the chair.

We just visited with the neurologist and he said that Paul has stabilized enough to be allowed to go home today. So, IT WON'T BE LONG until we head back to our family, dog and home! Paul was just told and he has perked up quite a bit. He smiled when I told him that Abby must have known last night because she was a lot more perky than she had been since Paul left. She followed me around the house with her teddy bear and was ready to play. When I told Paul about how she was behaving last night, he smiled and asked me, "What time do we get to leave?" I said they would like to see Paul eat some of his lunch and then he will be discharged. His nurse (who has been wonderful to him) has ordered a cheeseburger since the menu didn't have a selection she thought Paul would be interested in eating. This has been the consistent treatment we have received since we have been here. The staff at Gwinnett Medical is as terrific as they were in November. May God continue to bless all that they do!

We will have a couple of more return visits with this neurologist in the coming weeks. We are very comfortable and confident with this doctor, which provides us a lot of relief. We were hoping to travel to Chicago at Easter and I asked what would be a good time table to adhere to in even trying to plan a long drive for Paul. He said that since he will be seeing Paul a couple of times before then, he will let us know closer to the time. While it is ideal to let Paul lay still, at some point it is in his best interest to let him start to live life normally. We will proceed with great caution and as usual,will be content to leave this all in God's hands. If it is meant to be, then let it be. The reason we have even thought about a trip at this time is that my sister (in-law, but truly a sister!) will be baptized into the Catholic faith and we are nothing short of jubliant about it. To be present at that Easter Vigil Mass would be a wonderful blessing. Prayerfully we will wait for our answer.

Paul's headaches will continue for about one week, with the intensity dimishing each day. About a week after surgery he should be feeling good again. We will follow up with getting a feeding pump to maintain a steady flow of calories during the night to aid in the efforts of weight gain for Paul. My prayers for guidance continue as we work our way through this whole process of recovering. We learned that there are 2 stages to all of this and one is the recovery from Paul's trauma, which is still ongoing. Then we get into the stage of what is considered his actual rehabilitation. That is when the clock really begins towards the time frame for a fairly full recovery. We have been told a number of times that it is going to be a couple of years for Paul, due to the severity of his brain injury. Hence, my fervent prayers to God for guidance! I can't think in terms that long and am content in dealing with the here and now. Each day has bright moments and that is what I hold on to in getting me through the days. Sometimes I feel like it has already been 2 years! But looking back, am always amazed at our progress. While being in 4 hospitals in 4 months isn't too great a track record, I know God is guiding us along. All things in His time and in His way. Amen to that.

May God bless us all and make us "obedient sons and daughters of the Lord who created heaven and earth". Blessed Mary, our Fountain of Hope, lead us to your son.

Peace in Christ,
Jon and Rebecca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

God love you and give you the strength to do His will. He gives his greatest saints the biggest jobs! You will be rewarded.

Anonymous said...

Today i was in psycology class when my teacher ((who new about your accedent from me telling her in november))stoped while passing out papaers and just looked at me (i thought she was going to get mad at me for eating in class) and she said "hows your cousin?" i told her that you had just had surgery for your headaches to remove the pressure and stuff and that you were doing quit awesome and she asked "can he move his fingers and toes yet?" surprised and happy to say i responded "uh..he can walk and play the guitar by himself" she was so shocked and happy and she just hugged me saying oh greatful she was and that she had wanted to ask me about him before cause she was thinking about you all the time.
It was sooo happy to hear her say that and she was amazed that you had recovered so fast after such a trauma. Which was also good since she has a degree in psycology and knows a lot about the brain haha! well i just wanted to tell you this to remind you that everyone here is still praying and cheering for you!
I love you,
kellly

Anonymous said...

still praying for Paul, that he would be restored to you--a great and mighty God can handle big prayers--run this race as if to win, and do not grow weary because He never leaves us or forsakes us
M in SL