Thursday, April 26, 2007

Special Request

I thought of this idea yesterday when I was talking to Michael about his graduation. I had received a letter from the school that explained what they do for the seniors at the Senior Breakfast. To mark the occassion, they ask that parents, teachers, and friends send letters to the graduates to congratulate them and encourage them about their futures. These letters are then given to the seniors at the breakfast and the morning is spent reading the letters. I have sent this message to all our family members and asked them to get their letters to me so I can get it to the high school by Friday, 5/4/07.

I know this has been an extremely difficult year for Michael, most especially since we were gone so much in January and then again in the last 3 weeks. We never seem to have as much time as we would like to spend with Michael in this most special year, just like we have done with all the other sons. I know Michael will expect his family to write letters to him, but I thought how great it would be to surprise him with letters from those of you who know him, and those of you who might only know of him through this site. So this is my special request - if you have a moment to quickly write a letter to him, please email it to me at
rafidero@bellsouth.net. I will print it and will enclose it in the envelope I will be turning in for him. I know he will be shocked to get letters from anyone other than his brothers/uncles/aunts/parents! He has really grown up so much in this last year and has accepted so much responsibility. He has rarely asked for our help and when we talked to him about it, he said he didn't want to be any burden to us, since we had so much to do with Paul. And he has truly flown under the radar this past year. He has taken care of his own needs and with all he does for himself, he truly has had a jump start on learning how be a success living away from home the first year of college! We could not be more proud of him and I thought this might be a great way to surprise him.

In case you are wondering, he does not read the blog very often. I asked him specifically before I posted this so it will be a surprise. He said he read the blog last week on Tuesday and Wednesday to see quickly how Paul was doing. Other than in times of emergencies, he said he has not really read it, since he knows what is going on with Paul. Plus, he hears all my thoughts in person...................smile.

Paul woke up today at 5:00 AM and talked to his dad for awhile. He went back to bed around 6:30, then he got up at 8:15 again to get ready to spend the day with Judy Hufford. His head pain is trending down, which is what we had hoped would happen. I talked to the doctor's assistant yesterday and they said that the air in the ventricles will take the better part of several weeks to be absorbed, but the headaches should come down. They will see him again on 5/15.

He took a mile long walk yesterday with Jerry, their dogs and Judy. They then came back to Jerry's for lunch. He has started to eat really well again, which will help him gain back his weight. He weighed himself and it looks like he lost 10-12 pounds. He was at 168 before, so he is still in a good range for weight. Last year at this time he was 124 lbs I believe. We are way ahead of the game in that area! He has also stopped taking the narcotic pain medicine and one Advil takes his pain to a very reasonable range. His headaches are now in the 6-7 range when his Advil wears off, so he is really starting to do much better. He should be able to start back to work easily by Monday. It will sure be good to get back on track. We can also get him scheduled to attend the program at Pathways, where they will assess his levels in areas of cognitive, emotional and physical well being. That reminds me about our conversation at dinner last night. I don't remember exactly what was said, but Paul responded with " since I am a vegetable, I would not know about that." We all laughed and then he pointed to the bowls of vegetables on the dinner table and said, "you know you are eating my siblings." It was the first time since he had been home that we have laughed that hard. Great medicine for us all.

I wanted to take the time today to thank everyone for praying for us so hard last week. We know that God is with us all, as He is with you in all ways. His love endures forever.

Our heartfelt love to each and everyone of you,
Jon and Rebecca

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul is just a trip! His vegetable joke made me smile. your son Michael sounds like such a strong and smart kid. congrats to him on his graduation. i only wish that i had had such a great head on my shoulders when i headed off to college. oye vay! :) I remember before i left for my freshmen year, my mom gave me the Miraculous Medal to wear. i had no idea what it was but i knew my mom felt very strongly that i should wear it. i now know why. :) Mary sure interceded heavily to keep me safe. i have worn that medal for 12 years now. i never take it off. well, i wish your son well as he prepares for this huge next step! much love to you all!! have a great weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are getting better for Paul!! No matter what he goes through, his sense of humor will be the last thing he loses... it's one of those wonderful, Fidero family traits! You are all still in my prayers! God bless you all.
geneva