Monday, April 23, 2007

Country Roads, Take Me Home

I started Friday with writing the last posting and then got ready for work. When I got there, my sister asked me if I had worn my orange shirt because of it being Virginia Tech day. I didn't know what she meant and she told me that the news stations had asked everyone to wear orange and maroon on Friday to show our support. I had actually almost worn my pink sweatshirt and had at the last minute, thought about wearing something more light weight. The orange blouse was the first in line as I walked back into my closet and so I grabbed it and put it on. I said that I didn't know about it, but was so glad I had been led to wear it! I asked Bev if she had seen the blog, becasue I had written about the fact that while Paul and I were each trying to handle our physical/emotional pain with prayer, it had very clearly come to me to offer it all up for everyone who was involved in that tragedy. She said she hadn't read it yet and at that moment, another woman in our office (Pam) asked Bev and I to come to her desk. She wanted us to see what her mother had just sent her. It was the picture we had taken last Fall of the moth butterfly that had a cross design on its back. I think I wrote about this before, but it was right before we were going to Savannah to see a new doctor and as we left the building, Pam noticed this very small moth in the parking lot with the unusual cross design on its wings. I was amazed she even noticed it, as it was so small. The 3 of us stood there and looked, very impressed with the distinct cross design. Before I could get a picture with my cell phone, it flew into the woods nearby. I really wanted to get a picture of it, so Bev and I went into the area where we saw it fly. We actually were able to spot it again and I took a picture of it on my cell phone, which is still saved on it. I couldn't get the picture to transfer off my phone and was disappointed about that. But what was even more amazing about all this was that Pam saw the moth again the next morning at the back door of our building, so she took a good picture of it! She sent it to her mother and others who would really appreciate the fact that it had such a distinct cross design. Now, in the Spring, her mother remembered the picture and sent it back to Pam and asked if she noticed how the full design on the back of the moth had a V and a T?
The outline of the moth was lined in a black V and the middle of the moth was the T. Her mother thought that it was so unusual that what we had seen so many months before, was now tying in so much with what had happened. Here's the kicker...........Pam, Bev and I ALL had on orange shirts and not ONE of us knew previously that the media was asking people to do it to honor the families at VT. And the fact that Pam's mother sent this picture back this very morning, I had no trouble believing that God had sent me confirmation that Paul and I were indeed supposed to offer up every pain we had been experiencing for this very reason. I remember how the stress of that day eased immediately after I got that very clear thought in my head to pray and offer up our pain for all those victims and their families.
Another Godincidence!

I woke up Saturday morning and opened my laptop and I noticed the time. It was 8:39 and I realized that I had slept so much longer than usual ! I jumped up and ran to get ready for the 9:00 AM Mass. The Mass was starting 5 minutes late, so I got there just in the nick of time - Yahoo! After Mass, I stopped to talk to Mark Palmquist and he asked if I was going on the rosary walk that day. I said I had forgotten, but was so happy I was home for it and that I would go. I thought it was going to be in the afternoon, but it was supposed to start after this Mass. I told him to wait for me, I would meet them at Stone Mountain after I ran home to get my tennis shoes. I was really appreciative that I had not missed this! Even more especially because I was sent another little 'visual aid' that my prayers were being heard. As we were on a pathway, the 3 people in our group who were ahead of me had walked right by/over a red rose laying on the pathway! I noticed it immediately and stooped to pick it up. About 5 minutes before, my mind wandered a bit as we were reciting the Glorious Mysteries and I thought about all the saints I had prayed to and started to thank them in my mind. I included St. Therese, the Little Flower. Then, to find a red rose on the pathway amazed me and thrilled me! When I showed Patty, she asked me where I found it. I said, "Didn't you see it - I just picked it up on the pathway - You just walked over it?" She said she had not noticed it at all ! I guess she was looking up, but 2 other people also went by/over it. I thanked God and St. Therese for the beautiful gift in my day.

More? You want more??? Okay.

I went to the 8:30 AM Mass with Michael and as the Mass began, the Mass intention was announced. "This Mass is being offered for the intentions of Rebecca Fidero." Mike and I looked at each other and smiled. Jon gave me 3 Masses as part of my Christmas present, and this must have been one of them! I had completely lost track of them with all that has gone on since Christmas. What a huge surprise that was. Patty and Mark Palmquist were right behind us and right after Mass, Patty leaned over and asked me if I had remembered that it was my day to go to Adoration at 4 PM. The women of our prayer group take turns for this hour of Adoration. I had not, so it was another sweet surprise for me. In a weekend where I was so exhausted, I was able to have 3 very beautiful events to take part in - the Rosary Walk, which I have loved being part of all these past years, my own special Mass and then my Hour of Adoration. Let me tell you - my spirit has been renewed and filled to the brim - Praise be to God.

To top it off, we got a call last night from Paul. The first call I have received from him in a long time. He was well enough to make some phone calls and he called me and Jerry and Jerry's mother to let us know he was feeling really well. In fact, he had high hopes that they were going to release him today (Monday). That means I won't need to drive back up there and we will have a full house tonight! He had been so wiped out and yesterday, in a desperate attempt to get him to work harder at eating more, drinking more fluids and getting more movement out of bed, I told him just how bad Abby has been acting. She has been very listless and when I mention Paul's name, she doesn't even lift her head anymore. I tell her Paul is coming home soon and she looks at me, but doesn't get at all excited like she used to when I would say Paul's name. Before, she would run into each room and look for him. This weekend, she acts like she just doesn't believe it anymore. When I told Paul this, he got very sad. His dad got on the phone and asked me what the heck did I just say to him! I told him that I was desperate to give Paul a reason to put in a huge effort at getting better. He has not been eating much, gets angry when we try to get him to drink more fluids to help flush out all that medicine and has not done a lot of walking around, which the doctor had said he wanted to see. I told him I thought that maybe he would get a 'jump start' if he had a purpose! Call it "Emotional Rescue". ........

Well - I guessed right, because he was very chipper last night, and he and his dad had actually taken a walk OUTSIDE the hospital on the sidewalk around the building!!!! And, the doctor mentioned that if he was feeling better, he might be able to come home today.
Thank you dear Jesus! I have high hopes he will make it home today, but if not, most certainly by Tuesday. Take those Country Roads home Paul !!

I couldn't load the pictures I have - they have to be in a different format - but will find the expert who can do this for me and will post them soon. I will put on the picture of the Cross Moth and Paul playing the guitar in his hospital bed.

May you be blessed today with all the graces needed to do God's will.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blessed be God for the peace and beauty He brings to us in our time of need. Such an abundance. More beautifully than we can ever even dream. Safe journey home Paul and Jon. See you in Chicago?

Anonymous said...

God is sooo good! He has a perfect plam. I will continue to pray for all of you. I love you all!
Anne

Anonymous said...

welcome home Paul!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Paul. thank you for your great comment to me, rebecca. It made my day! ;)