Monday, April 09, 2007

The Silver Lining

I don't know what was more bizarre this past week - freezing weather leading into Easter Sunday or the varied 'storms' we have experienced on Paul's road to recovery. As you know, we became more and more concerned with Paul's health as the week went on. We were told on Friday that he probably had appendicitis. Our family doctor sent us to the near est hospital to have a CT done to confirm it. As we drove to the hospital, I decided to let Dr. McLanahan's office know some of the symptoms, because if there was going to be surgery, I thought it would be important to get everyone on the same page, since Paul's shunt tubing goes into that area. I also felt that we should have the surgery done in Charlotte, since they know his whole story. We were at the local hospital until 8:30 Friday and they said they thought that there was air outside the stomach, which meant a perforation somewhere. After another xray, they decided that was not the case and sent Paul home with no diagnosis. They didn't think it was a crisis situation. I wasn't too upset that they had no explanation, as I knew that we were going to head up to Charlotte. I had spoken to Dr. McLanahan's assistant and she made the arrangements for Paul to be admitted early Saturday morning. Jon brought Paul up here and he was admitted right away. On Sunday, Jon was told that it possibly was gall bladder trouble. I could not believe that was the problem and asked Jon to ask a number of questions that immediately came to my mind. I told him I was going to come up early. This whole thing seemed too far fetched. Later, on my way to Charlotte, I was talking to Jerry about it, and he said he had had his gall bladder removed when he was about Paul's age. I was surprised that anyone could have that kind of trouble so young. I was glad I was on my way, so that I could be with Jon while surgery was being done. By the time I got to Charlotte, they had decided that it was not the gall bladder nor the appendix, but rather a problem with the tubing from the shunt. They were going to do the surgery they had mentioned a few weeks ago, where they would put in a new tube, but have it empty somewhere besides the stomach area. This was going to be minor surgery. It would be done later in the evening. Since it was not a major surgery, Jon went home and I began my tour of duty.


The surgery was done by 8:00 and Paul was in his room by 9:30 PM. We were told that Paul should start to feel relief by the next day. Right after he got to the room, he was in a lot of pain, but the medicine helped him a lot. So much so, that he spent hours wanting to talk !! He was very coherent and I was happy he was doing so well. At 3 A.M. we prayed the Divine Mercy chaplet for day 3 of the 9 day novena. Then Paul asked me to just talk to him in a quiet voice so he could fall asleep. After awhile, we decided that he would never go to sleep that way, because he kept responding. So I prayed the rosary very softly and we both fell asleep.

Paul was feeling pretty good this morning and ate breakfast. We saw Dr. McLanahan’s assistant and she said that they would be checking a few things and would led us know when Paul could go. Then an hour later, she came back and said that unfortunately, the cultures taken of the fluid from the abdomen and the brain fluid showed an infection. They were going to have the infectious disease doctor come by in a little while to talk to us. I asked her if it meant that the shunt would need to be removed and an external one implemented. She said that it could happen that way, but it was not certain.

We met with Dr. Tanner and he said that the type of bacteria they found was a very slow and wimpy bug. It responds well to antibiotics, was not a tough strain to wipe out. The problem was, the bacteria had originated in the shunt area had traveled down the tube into the abdomen and that is where it started to ‘build a city’ as Paul termed it. Because it had contaminated the shunt, the shunt needs to be removed and Paul will be on an antibiotic for about a week, then they will do another surgery to put a new shunt in. With an external shunt, Paul has to remain in the hospital, as it has to be operated manually.

The Silver Lining you ask? Dr. McLanahan is going to hopefully be able to determine the optimum ICP (inter-cranial pressure) and can set the shunt closer to the best setting. His other hope is to reduce the size of the ventricles and he said that we would see more of Paul’s personality appear.


Dr. McLanahan told me last night that he appreciates our continued patience with this whole process and our dedication to getting this problem solved. It is a tough case and he said that he will find the answer. I told him we trust him and that is why we keep coming back. When he saw Paul this morning he said with great sympathy, “You really haven’t had many lucky breaks have you?” He really cares about Paul and wants to get him back to optimum health. His caring ways are what Jon and I truly appreciate – a great attribute indeed.

From the Divine Mercy Chaplet-

Oh blood and water, which gushed forth as a fountain of mercy for us, we place our trust in you. Jesus, We Trust In You.

May you all experience the blessings of this Easter Season.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good things are going to come from this, i just know it. the doctor sounds wonderful. i, myself, had doctors with horrible bedside manners. i am so glad paul's is so caring. that always helps. paul was heavy in my prayers yesterday at mass.

Anonymous said...

This doctor sounds very much like the angel for whom you have been praying. He seems diligent and methodical, making sure nothing is missed and every stone is turned. I just have the best feeling about the ultimate outcome of this hospital stay. I know it isn't what any of you would choose, but I just know you will look back on this experience with awe. Bless all of you. We are thinking about you all the time.

Love,
Connie and Ron next door...

Anonymous said...

Miss you already.