Friday, April 20, 2007

Battle Fatigue

Paul's surgery went very well and Tuesday morning we were having a great start. He woke early and got bathed, ate breakfast and he kept up his joking around with the nurse.

Around 10:30 A.M. another nurse came in to take out the external shunt tubing, as Dr. McLanahan felt comfortable that it would not be needed since the surgery seemed to bring Paul's headaches down, and he was feeling so well. It was a day for student nurses to come through and so we had 2 extra people in the room, along with our regular nurse. I have to admit, that while the senior nurse was doing the procedure of removing the tubing and then stitching the incision, I felt she should have been paying a little more attention to the procedure. Instead, there was a conversation going on about brain fluid and how you can tell in a severely injured person, whether it is brain fluid that is coming leaking from say the ear or the nose. After they left, Paul and I continued to talk and actually plan what we wanted to do for Jerry when he got there that evening, since it was his birthday. I quickly ran down to the gift shop and got cards (since ours were still at home - we thought we would be home sooner than it turned out) and put together a fun gift bag. We planned on me going out to get pizza from a near by Domino's as the birthday dinner.

I came back into the room and Paul stated his headache was climbing up there and asked if he could get some pain medicine. I called the nurse in and she gave him some Lortab, since his headache was kind of bad. I was disappointed about this turn downward, as he had been doing so well since the night before. The day spiraled downhill very fast after that. He asked for more pain medicine within an hour and a half. The nurse called the doctor's office and was told Paul could have a little stronger medicine for the pain. So they gave Paul a shot of Demerol. Only 1/2 hour later, he was asking for more medicine. I knew something was wrong at this point and called the nurse back in and asked that she call our doctor. She came back later and said that they told she to give a stronger dose of Lortab. I said I didn't think this was a good idea, that masking the pain was not what I wanted. By this time, the doctor's office was closed, so we had the on-call doctor through the night. By 5 PM I told the nurse I wanted the on-call doctor to be called and insisted we see someone in our room. Another physician's assistant came in (not our normal one) and I explained the events of the day to her. She ordered a CT scan. While we waited, Paul's pain had escalated to a 10, then with tears in his eyes, he said that it was a different kind of 10 and in his attempt to describe how bad it hurt, he finally whispered that it was a 13. He could hardly stand the pain and cried a couple of times as it hurt so badly. I was feeling so helpless and desperate for help. I asked God why this had to continue? What else did He need from us? I was crying myself, as I held Paul's hand. I was getting so angry about this whole thing, and feeling way too tired to handle this crisis. I had not gotten much sleep during the night as the staff comes in every couple of hours and there are loud speaker announcements all during the night. Also, Paul needed assistance with his bathroom needs. It had been a very long night and we were both really tired by 6 P.M. the next evening. I had tried to stay calm for Paul, but I was now so angry because of the whole thing going 'south' so quickly. We had not had time to recover from the long hours of the last 2 weeks in the hospital and the pain Paul had to suffer. I held his hand and we both just cried. I said I didn't know why God would allow this. Paul said that he was trying to offer his pain up, but he was hurting so bad.

When Jerry walked in about that time, he came over and gave me a hug and I was so relieved that we had 'fresh' back up help on board, that I let my guard down and just started to cry. I told him how bad Paul was hurting and we were still waiting for the CT to be taken. Jerry went to Paul and while he was encouraging Paul to hang in there, I called the doctor's office to try to get a message to the P.A. that we needed some help and quickly. She said she would check on her orders for a CT scan and within 15 minutes, someone came to get Paul. While we waited, Paul told Jerry he was so sorry that the birthday party was ruined. He asked me to at least give Jerry his little gift! We all got to laugh a little as Jerry went through the silly items. Jerry went down with him to let him know we were by his side and would not leave him.

The results showed that during the removal of the shunt tubing, a 'large amount' of air had been allowed to get into the ventricles. They ordered oxygen to be administered 24/7, alternating between a face mask and then the nostril attachment. This was to be done every 2 hours.
Again, we had a long night with this added duty. Paul started to run a fever, so they also had him use a breathing apparatus to blow into as hard as he could to help his lungs. The pain this caused was so hard to bear for Paul. The pain medicines weren't really helping him either. By morning, he said his pain level had come down to 9 and 10. At first I was relieved, but then looked at Jerry and said, "How sad is that - that we are happy his pain is DOWN to a 10!" The thought came to me about the incident at Virginia Tech. I thought that since it came to mind, maybe God needed our suffering to help the souls of those that died. I held Paul's hand and said that possibly God needed his intense suffering for the soul of the young man who did the killing. He was such a tormented person and maybe God allowed Paul's suffering to help atone for the soul of the man. I told Paul that while we can't possibly understand God's ways, we were being called to suffering for a reason. It didn't make the pain go away, but it gave us a focus. I told Paul that I would offer up my suffering for the mothers of all those young men and women - they must be suffering so intensely and if the pain we felt could be used for a purpose, we had to say yes. Paul told me that he had been thinking that satan wanted to wreck our family and that it could even get worse for us before it got better. He said he would offer up his pain for that young man, but he hoped it would not last long. We prayed to John Paul II and Blessed Mary and so many other saints and asked for their intercession. Asked them to pray for our strength, because we were so weak. I told Paul I was sorry I had not held up so well for him and had even gotten angry. Believe me when I say, I have a long way to go in the ways of Jesus. Funny thing, that is my sign on for my computer - Jesus, Teach Me Your Ways Today (I take the first letters of each word - I change my prayer each month). I had lost my temper with one nurse, as there had been a number of other mistakes that had happened - minor things. But it all added up and I just didn't have any more patience at this particular moment. I could handle all the little mistakes - we are all human and we make mistakes. But the big one just put me over the top as it caused Paul so much pain. I later apologized to her, explaining my fatigue and that she had caught the tail end of my frustrations. I felt upset that I had allowed myself to get caught in the trappings of satan and since we had sacramentals in the room, it was a contradiction in terms! Certainly not a Christ -like behavior. She was very kind and said she truly understood. (I was so thankful that she was our nurse the next night, as we had time to talk in more depth. She was very gentle and kind to Paul and I was glad God had given me a chance to reconcile with her.)

Paul's pain is slowly coming down. This turn of events has now caused his stay to be longer. He has to stay until next week sometime. Our doctor came in right away the next day and immediately apologized for the bad judgement call on his part. He felt the procedure could be done by a nurse, and he truly regretted his decision. This kind of development rarely occurs and he could not believe it happened to Paul. I told him that I was most especially sad because it appeared he had 'nailed' it with the surgery. We had some really great moments in the hours after the surgery. He said he felt it was going to be the turning point also and then he said that there was a good thing that had happened. The ventricle size had come down after this surgery. He said that is probably why we saw more of the 'old Paul' in those hours after the surgery. He said this would all be monitored and hopefully things will get back to normal, but it would take a while. When I asked how long, he said anywhere between a month and a week. I had a shocked look on my face and he jokingly said he had to say that - as this whole thing was so far fetched. He felt that sometime next week would be the time frame. My heart sunk at the thought of this. We had 'cabin fever' - all of us!!

I called Jon and we planned our next week's itineraries for coverage. My tour of duty would be over Thursday morning, Jerry was staying until Friday and Jon would pull a long shift through Monday. I had to get back to work and get things caught up.

Paul had a hard time saying goodbye to me yesterday morning at 4:30 A.M. We talked for a little while and prayed a lot more. He said that having Jerry there helped, as he loves him and appreciates how caring and loving Jerry is. I reminded him his dad was also on the way the next day. He smiled and said, "Yeah, it will be great to have Paps back. He is so funny, I love that guy so much. I love Jerry and you so much too. Thanks for staying with me."

My tour of duty is over for the time being, but my mind and spirit are still with Paul. I can't deny that coming home and being with Michael and Jon did me a world of good. I am thankful that I will be able to spend the next couple of days taking care of Michael. He needs his family just as much. He has been such an incredible trooper through all of this. 2 lengthy hospital stays in the past 3 months - and during his senior year. I have felt sad that we haven't been able to have the time we had with all of our other sons in their senior years. I know it has a point and a purpose, but I worry about Michael's emotional well-being too. I know my faith will carry me through all of this, and while I may lose battles, I won't lose the war. But Michael is young - it is tougher for him. He appears to be so brave and my prayer is that his faith will help him grow as strong as God needs him to be.

Keep us in your prayers, as we keep you in ours. Daily.

May the peace of Christ reign in your hearts today.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

PS - there is no way to put into words our love and appreciation for Jerry and his help. We could have lost our jobs by now, had he not helped take over so many of the days. But most importantly, it is his constant concern, love and incredibly thoughtful ways that he shows to every member of this family that have helped teach us the true Ways of Jesus!! Love in Action! His mother, Judy, has been helping to care for Abby-Cake (Paul's name for his dog) by bringing her over to her house to be with their dog Emma. She has been taking them for walks and making sure Abby isn't alone. Like mother, like son. Praise be to God.

Thank you for all of your encouraging comments - we love them and they really help us.
Paul read the blog yesterday and smiled as he read the comments. We even got to have the pizza birthday dinner!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a username, or a password. I just wanted to write, for the first time, to let you know that there are people out there who have kept track, and pray for you and your family. My name is Jeremy Watson. I am the eldest son of Richard Watson. While I have not met Paul, or his family, I have kept in touch with the situation. Wether it be thru this website, or thru my Father. I cannot predict the future. I can however state a few things that I can see thru writings, and by seeing how it affects my DTSi family, as well as my real family.
I read in the writings, and posts, a lot of confusion as to wether it is God, or Satan that is to be held accountable for Paul's condition. To that I can onloy reply that I do not know. To how his condition will improve, that too is something I do not know. I did want to express a couple of things that I do know. Even without having not met Paul, or his family.
Paul is one very blessed individual. I can say this, as I am detached from the emotional rollercoaster that you guys are going thru. The amount of Love that is shared between this family, and their supporters, is a blessing. To truly have people that care about one another so fiercely, and deeply, is sadly uncommon in today's society. The level of commitment, and support, coupled with the depth of Love that you guys have for each other. The fact that you have rallied around and continue to be there. Well, I know that it is a sign to me that God's Love is still with us, and all around us. Although I havent talked, or even met Paul, I know deep down that he Loves, and is constantly encouraged by seeing, and experiencing just what Love truly is. In such a world as is the one that we live in, rarely do people ever know just what it means to someone to have that with and around them. If I could picture it in my head, I see only one set of footprints walking down the beach at the moment. Being carried in his arms, as you guys continue to take care of your son, and each other.
I can only say this as I have gotten a bit older, and are able to truly see for the first time what Love is. Love is lots of things, but when manifested and shown in such a manner as I have read here, and kept up with elsewhere. I am able to look closer at my family and really appreciate what it means to have that kind of support. I have it within my own family. To have people who back you, care and help you to that degree, well, I think that is the reason that Paul survives when his pain level rises to 13. The reason that he hasn't given up. From what I understand, most would not have made it this far without help. Your Love, God's Love, his Love, and all the rest of us who pray, well I believe that they all combine, feed, and grow to help all of us. To show us. To remind us that in a world where there is so much pain and heartache, there is still beauty. You as parents should be proud to have a son who, despite his situation, continues to offer himself up in order to help others. That you as parents, have raised up a true example of what Love really is. These are things that I see. Things that give me comfort. Things that give others comfort wether they notice them or not. I will continue to pray for you and your family, as I know others do.
J

Anonymous said...

wow. rebecca, i did not realize i needed a good cry today. i was having the most horrible day. so frustrated at my son for misbehaving so much, frustrated at my preschoolers for driving me bonkers today. i just felt such anger and exasperation as i drove home from work. i then come here to read this amazing writing from you, and i am truly humbled. i have no words other than to say that paul is one of the most courageous people...and the love you have, rebecca-just incredible. you so help me to realize what is important in this world. thank you thank you. paul, i pray pray pray for your pain to go away for good. i believe it will. hang in there. :)

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that Paul is in my prayers, as he has been for the past many months.

Deb

Anonymous said...

James 1, 2-4:

Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials,
for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
*******
Paul-- we are all praying for you, this day and every day.

Anonymous said...

We hope and pray and wait to hear that Paul's pain is less and less each day. We'll never know the reasons for this terrible burden in this lifetime -- the power of your faith is awesome. And this is for Jerry: belated very happy birthday!! You are truly a blessing to the Fidero family again and again. May all those blessings be returned to you tenfold! Paul, bless your heart, your sense of humor always shines thru. Hang in there Fideros -- we'll never stop praying.

Anonymous said...

Jon, Rebecca, Paul & Fideros-
I pray that God would show Himself merciful more and more each day for you. He has you in His hands; never give up.
We continue to watch and pray...
The St Louis Browns

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here, having read the blog and all the beautiful messages. My heart is heavy for the suffering you all have been going through, my heart is joyful for the loving support you have all around you. I have no inspirational words to write, just, I love you. May all of heaven bring their prayers for you to the foot of the cross of our Lord. Joyfyl Joyful, we adore You. Hear our prayers for Paul. Bless Michael with the knowledge of how much he is loved. Happy Birthday Jerry. Glad to know you had Domino's. smile.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get to read this post until Sunday night and when I read it, I just lost myself in a vale of tears, contemplating the horrendous pain Paul had to suffer through, and the beautiful support Rebecca and Jerry offered. Only the intercession of our blessed Mother could sustain you in this battle, and you have all come out of it (again) with love and humility and charity! May God continue to bless you all for your example of faithfulness. Paul, you are daily in our prayers, especially during time before Our Lord in adoration.
Keep up the good fight!
the barans
"Remember, Oh most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,implored thy help,and sought thine intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, Oh Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition, but in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen"