Sunday, February 04, 2007

Get Back

Friday was a long day as we waited for the isotope test and the results. Paul had another roller coaster day with the pain levels. He started the day out with a 7.25 rating. The doctor found it somewhat amusing how Paul would give such accurate ratings to his head pain. He was very consistent in giving these kind of ratings and they ranged from 6.50 to 8.25 - all of which are painful levels. The isotope study was to see if the brain fluid was flowing through the shunt. The test was not run until 3:30 P.M. It made for a long day of waiting. I went to the noon Mass as it was First Friday. I have to admit, it was wonderful getting to attend Mass a number of the days we were in Charlotte. I told Paul that the Mass for that day was being offered up for his intentions at St. Stephen's, as his name had been listed in the bulletin on that day. I was sorry we were not back in time for him to attend this Mass. But we did get to see Dick Kelly again, who is the Eucharistic Minister at St. Patrick's church. So Paul did receive Communion on Friday after all. Mr. Kelly told us more about Deacon Fidero too. He is 78 yrs old and was from Philadelphia, just like Mr. Kelly. Unfortunately, Deacon Fidero was also in the hospital and was very ill. His wife had died a couple of years before.

Mr. Kelly told Paul to stay strong and keep fighting to get well. He said that in WWII, he was injured and suffered a skull fracture and brain injury also. He was in his 20's at that time and he told Paul how he had to learn to walk and do most everything all over again. He told Paul he would be fine before he knew it. He said, "Look at me - I made it all the way to 78 years of age!" He told us a little more about himself, then prayed over Paul and asked God to heal him with a full recovery and then he had to leave. It really lifted Paul's spirits hearing this man's story and the recovery he had.

We did not get the test results that day.

Jon and Marie were going to come to Charlotte since Paul was not being released on Friday. Jerry stayed at the hospital with Paul through the night. I was going to sleep at the hotel so I could open the main door for them. Since they were not going to get in until 3-4 A.M. they would need me to use my card key to open the main doors . As I was leaving the hospital that night, I realized I was going to be able to sleep in my comfortable pajamas for the first time in 10 days!! I was so thrilled that I would get some decent sleep. As luck would have it, there was a bus load of children staying at the hotel and there was a lot of running going on until late that night. It didn't matter for long, as I was so tired, I fell asleep. I woke up at 3 A.M. I called Jon and they were only about 1/2 hour away. So I got up and waited for them. The joy of seeing Jon and Marie was huge. I was really missing my family and this was a terrific lift to my spirit.

We headed over to the hospital around 8:45 and already Paul had sent a text message to Jon - something like, "Art thou hither?" When I called him to let him know we were coming, he answered and was very cheerful and alert. I told Jon it looked like it might be a good day. And it was. Paul was up and dressed and was standing in the lobby. Actually, he was standing behind a large planter and was pretending to be hiding behind the tree. He knew he was very visible, but thought it was very funny to pretend that he could not be seen. Jon burst out laughing when he saw Paul and the sound of his laugh echoed around the lobby, as there is a marble floor and the ceiling is 2 stories up. It was a wonderful sound and people were smiling at the 2 young men hugging each other. Jerry told me Paul had been up a few times during the night and needed pain medicine. But once he got up, he was ready to go! I believe he was very excited about Jon coming to see him. He talked a lot with Jon and Marie and showed them the way to the ninth floor and his room. He was very oriented and had only mild pain.

When they got upstairs, the doctor's assistant was there and said the test results showed very minimal flow through the shunt. It could mean that the shunt was not on the correct setting yet or that there is still a leak, with the brain fluid coming out through the leak under pressure. The brain pressure was still showing a lower level, which also indicated there was still a leak. She asked if there was any fluid coming from Paul's nose and he told her not really. At least, not that morning yet. She said that they could keep Paul there and continue to monitor him to see if there would be a problem with fluid in his left nostril. Or he could go home and let them know if there was a problem with it in the week ahead. It would be up to him and how well he felt. He was feeling the best we had seen in months and he said he wanted to go home. I asked him to be very honest about it all, as it was not in anyone's best interest to leave prematurely. He said his head pain was at a 4.25, and that he felt pretty good. I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical and thought he was saying this so he could get the heck out of that place. Believe me, I felt the same way! But we had to be very careful about this decision. She left and said we could talk about it and let her know. It was now around 11:00 and I realized that Jon (DAD) was on his way up to the hospital, as he was going to take the next week's shift with Paul so I could get back to work. We called him and he was only about a half hour away, so he said he would just come to the hospital.

Paul really wanted to go on a walk with Jon (brother) and he asked if he could get dressed really warmly and go outside for just a bit. Jerry and Jon lent Paul some warm clothing and he went on a walk with Jon. When they came back, Paul's nose was running. I was so disheartened when he told us. But he said that it was probably because it had been so cold outside. Jon said his nose was running also ( a fun topic, eh?) so it really might mean the same thing for Paul. We debated it and Paul said his head was not hurting and he really wanted to go home. I decided we could try to go home, knowing it would take hours to get all the paperwork done. We would start the process and if Paul continued to have the same problem or his headache started to climb, we would stop and keep him there. The nurse came in and she took out the IV needle and found 3 stitches that still needed to be removed. That was done fairly quickly and Paul continued to have a lively conversation with all of us and the nursing staff. All this and no mention of pain. I know for a fact, he is not able to hide the pain. His face and mannerism show it immediately. He gets a glazed look in his eye and he can hardly speak. But none of this was happening. In fact, he didn't even want to get back in his bed to lay down. He was walking around the room and continued his interaction with everyone.

It was getting pretty close to departure time and Scott, the nurse who had taken such a special interest in Paul in the ICU came into the room to see him. He had seen Paul's name still listed in the charts and he was saddened to see he was still in the hospital. He fully expected to see Paul in fairly poor shape and when he walked in he exclaimed, "My God, look at you! This is terrific! Look at you, man! Seeing you like this is what makes my job great!" He hugged me, then he hugged Paul, then Jon. He was so thrilled to see Paul standing there talking and laughing. He encouraged Paul to try his music again, that it was a gift to him and he just needed to jump back in. The nurse on duty that day (Katie) was also the nurse who was on duty the first day Paul was released from ICU into the neuro unit. She and Scott talked about the very poor condition Paul had been in 10 days prior. They were really enjoying seeing him feeling and looking so well. We had a full room at this time and Paul wasn't even sensitive to the noise and he was not wearing his sun glasses. We were able to have the shades open for the first time in 2 weeks. It was as if God had touched Paul and he was well. The doctor's assistant was very surprised to see that Paul had made a complete turn around in demeanor and level of pain. I have to admit, I was still being very guarded in my excitement about it all. I had experienced many hills and valleys in the past 2 weeks and I decided to keep my enthusiasm in check. I quietly kept a watch on Paul's nose! We finally checked out at 1:00 P.M. and all was still well with Paul.

The parade home began. 4 cars left Charlotte with 6 very happy people in them. Paul rode with his dad. I went back to the hotel, with Jon and Marie following me to get their suitcase (which they left, thinking they would be back that night!) We left shortly after that. I called my sister Beverly to let her know we were truly on our way home. She and Joe were so happy and said they would have dinner cooked and waiting for us at our house. By 6 P.M. we were all home and hugging each other. Jerry and his parents were also there to celebrate Paul's homecoming, along with Anne (Marie's sister) and Matt Velker. The noise in the house was filling my heart with a joy I cannot describe. I was so happy to be in my own home, with family and friends gathered.

I had called ahead to have Michael ready with camera in hand to capture the pictures of Paul greeting his beloved dog, Abby. Michael said that Abby tore out of the house and ran straight to Paul's side of the car, ready to greet him. Through all the noise and chaos of the evening, Paul continued to hang out with us and did not need pain medicine at all. He was enjoying all the attention and the love that everyone wanted to share with him. Every once in awhile, he would sit on the floor with his dog and tell her how much he missed her and loved her.

Earlier, as we headed home, I stopped near the border of South Carolina and Georgia. I thought that Marie might want to let Jon drive for awhile and they might need to get gas. We pulled off at the Clemson University exit and I saw a store that sold fireworks. I immediately pulled in and bought fireworks for that night. Michael and I both love fireworks and I knew he would be happy to handle that part of the celebration. So, around 9:30 that night, we all went outside and Michael and Jon put on a quick show of very loud and beautiful fireworks. It was freezing cold, but it didn't bother Paul. He was having the time of his life. We ended the evening with cake for Jon's (Dad) birthday that had been missed the previous Saturday. Joe and Bev had handled that little detail for me too!

Then, Paul and his brothers, Marie, Anne and Matt all crowded onto Paul's king size bed and 2 chairs and watched a movie! This was the first full day Paul has put in ..........well, ...I can't even remember when he did it last.

Sunday morning, Paul was up and ready to get a shower for Mass. No iritability, no coaxing him - we just mentioned that it was 7:00 A.M. and we were planning on going to the 8:30 Mass. He got dressed, and had to wait for everyone else to be ready. That was a first!

He walked in and a number of people came up to give him a hug. He was walking without any help, and was standing tall and strong. It was amazing (and almost unbelievable) to see. Fr. Paddy was astounded at how much better he carried himself. Paul saw Juanita, then looked back at me and he had tears in his eye. He is still very sad that Joe died, but mostly because he knows that Juanita is in so much pain. He leaned over and asked me if it would be okay if he went to sit with her after Communion. I told him that would be very kind of him. Since Juanita was a Eucharistic Minister, she was up at the altar at Communion, so Paul had to wait until Mass was over before he could go to her side. He immediately got up and went across the aisle to her and hugged her. Then all of us took turns hugging her. Paul and Jon walked over to the picture of Our Blessed Mother and Paul lit a number of candles for the intentions of family and friends. Afterward, he walked alone back over to Juanita and talked to her some more. Once we got back out of the sanctuary, Paul said he wanted to go get some donuts that were being served after Mass. We met a number of our friends and stayed for about 45 minutes visiting with everyone.

The day was full of activity again. Paul was on his computer for a long time once he got home. He took about an hour nap and then he and Jon and Jon played music for awhile. I took movies of it and enjoyed listening to them. Paul played a little bit and he sang along with his brother and dad for some of the songs. They started to plan another 'concert on the deck' and the songs they would play. A couple of hours later, Paul and his dad went to get another phone for Paul. He wanted to upgrade the phone he had. We all met at a restaurant in the early evening, followed by ice cream at Bruster's. It was freezing cold, so we jumped out, got our individual cones, jumped back into the car and went home.

Once we were home, Kara Palmquist joined Jon, Marie, Anne, Michael, Paul and Matt at the table for an evening of Texas Hold 'Em and then they piled into Paul's room once more for a movie to end the day.

Will this incredible turn around in Paul's health continue? I don't know - only God does.
I do know this............it's great to GET BACK.

With very thankful hearts we say,
May you be blessed for your prayers in these last 2 weeks.
I know they were heard! As always!

Love, Jon and Rebecca

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of heaven was listening.

Anonymous said...

what great news!!

Anonymous said...

WHOOHOO!!! Another concert on the deck!!! I just hope it gets a little warmer, first!

I am so glad you are all home!
Thanks be to God!


Connie from next door!
PS: We wondered about the fireworks..we thought maybe you found some left over from New Year's Eve or something! HA!

Anonymous said...

BLESSED BE GOD FOREVER

Anonymous said...

Hello Lilburn!!

Anonymous said...

yea! that is so great! i am so happy for you all!

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds as if life was back to "normal" for the Fidero's, how wonderful for you! Enjoy it and have fun with each other, you deserve it. What a blessing you are Paul to your family as to all of us "bloggers"! God is soooo good, and He is smiling down on you and your faithfulness. God Bless you this week with continued good health!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I can hear the smile in your writings. Even though I know you are being optimistic, things sure are looking up from when we talked the weekend before.

I couldn't help letting out a little "giggle" when you said you set off a “few fireworks.” I can only imagine how excited you were when you saw the firework store on your way home. “Like A Kid In A Candy Store!” I just remember how excited you got when you found the ones left over in your garage last summer. You gave us California Fidero's quite the show.

It sounds like “Gods Blessings” were in your home over the weekend. What a great time. Sure wish we could have been there also.

Well, if we are able to send the girls to Atlanta this summer, maybe you’ll all be up to another concert on the deck for them too. I know they would really enjoy it.

We are continuing to pray for all of you and especially for your full recovery Paul. It still seems so promising after another visit with Mr. Dick Kelly. Hang in there!!

We love and miss you all.

Love The Fidsnkids

Anonymous said...

It was such a good weekend! You are all so wonderful!