Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Paul's Prayer

Paul made a huge effort to get up and do things yesterday, although his head was throbbing. It got so bad that while we were sitting at the table to eat lunch, he asked me to hold his hand, as he reached for mine.
He then asked if I would say a prayer with him.
He then prayed,
"Please God, help the pain in my head go away soon. But if You need me to have it longer, then I will wait. Amen."

That continues to be our prayer to God in Holy Week.

I have also prayed that we be lead to a doctor who might be able to figure out for sure what is needed to help Paul with his recovery stage, so that we can start the rehabilitation phase for him. He is still experiencing muslce spasms in his stomach where the shunt tube incision is, but his doctor does not know why that is happening. Nor why Paul is experiencing such sensitivity to light. We are trying to find a neurologist who might be able to give us a second opinion that the course of action taken is the right one. This whole process left me feeling so helpless yesterday. Paul is so vulnerable and needs good decisions to be made. With such limited knowledge that we have about Paul's condition, it is hard to know which way to turn. I have prayed with Paul this morning that we be led and that God will help us know what pathway will be best for Paul and in accordance to His will. God knows what Paul needs and He has graced us in so many ways, that I am sure He will not abandon us at any stage.

Paul's prayer reminded me once again that the servant God intends Paul to be, will be. Paul praying out loud with such childlike belief and faith also reminded me to pray, "Jesus. I trust in You". While I feel such pain watching Paul suffer, calling out to Jesus brings me comfort and renewed faith. Just as it must for Paul when he called out to God. My mother always reminded me in life to "take it to the TOP and give it to God".
Maybe God was just waiting for Paul to do the same!

We ask that you include in your intentions the guidance we need in finding the answers for Paul's recovery.

"O Blood and water that gushed forth from the Sacred Heart of Jesus as a fountain of mercy for us, we place our trust in You."

Peace in Christ, Our Lord and Saviour,
Jon and Rebecca

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in awe of your faith in God and trust in Jesus. Paul and your entire family give new meaning to "Thy will be done."

During this Holy Week, thank you for showing us all how to pray and offer up one's pain for God's purpose-- even though we may not understand it.

Anonymous said...

I am almost in tears reading that beautiful prayer of Paul's. That is the purity of faith to which we all must aspire in this life. I am reminded of two other prayers of which Paul's is an echo: "Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done," as spoken from the lips of our Lord in submission to the Father's will. And again, "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word," spoken in humility by our Blessed Mother.

Our Lord has a plan for you Paul, He has called you by name. My prayer is that you continue to have the strength to offer your suffering in humility in union with Christ's Cross - especially in Passion week.

God Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Fidero Family,

I recently heard about Paul's accident and just wanted to express my joy that he is improving. As I have been reading your web page I am amazed by the incredible miracles that God has performed.

I just wanted to let you know that your family is an example (especially during Lent) of faith and prayer to me. Thank you.

My family and I are praying for Paul and your family.

Have a blessed Holy Week.

Thomas Zieg (a long lost friend of Jon's)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Fidero--

What a blessed and beautiful prayer! A reminder that we all should be Christlike in the face of suffering--thank you for sharing it!

Know of my many prayers this holy week, and all of Lent, for you all, and especially Paul!

in Christ's love,
maggie

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,

Thank you for the inspiration of your quiet strength and enduring faith.

I love you
Keith