Saturday, April 01, 2006

I Owe You My Thanks

Me and my awesome brother Paul










Day in and day out, people at Ave Maria University ask me the question to which I could never answer fully or totaly honestly. That question is, "Hey James, how is your brother Paul doing?" I didn't want to dampen their spirits or hold them up, so I would always reply with the generic answer, "He's doing well." At the time, that answer was not always true, but now that answer is right on the mark. When we arrived on Friday, it came as quite a surprise to see that Paul was awake so that he could greet us at 11:30 P.M. when we came in. I stood in awe to see my brother talking and moving and walking and acting like Paul. He joked with me, and carried on a conversation longer than the usual two words. I asked him how he has been doing, and his reply was, "James, I just had surgery on my brain, for crying out loud. I've been better in the past." I laughed and rejoiced in the fact that my brother is back!!! He was acting like Paul again, and not the brain-injured brother that I thought I would have for the rest of my life.
Paul is speeding ahead with fantastic progression, and the only way I know how to accurately describe his rally like return is that it is like the flicking of a switch, or snap of the fingers, and bam- Paul is back! It was so weird because when I talked with him on the phone before his surgery the conversation was not at all like this and then upon seeing him, Paul has turned 180 degrees around for the better. I simply cannot thank God enough for the most precious gift I have ever received. I stand here completely amazed in life. I owe everyone who continued to show support for my family, and specifically Paul, with their prayers and total giving of themselves for our seemingly futile cause. I cannot describe my feelings enough. Paul is very much alive, and he is very much the Paul that I used to know before the accident, save the scars and physical damage. And all thanks to those who have shown their faith.
Here is a piece of free information...Prayer Save Lives. My example: Paul Fidero. His story is one of success. The only logical reason for him defying statistics, proving the doctors wrong and not dying is because of God's grace. Simply stated, Paul was going to die. The doctors did all they could. We all (you all) prayed fervently. Paul lived. Paul is back. I believe the only reason is because of the power of prayer, and the faith that was shown in this situation. Thank you all so much, I will return the prayers that you gave to us with prayers of my own.

IN THE SIGN OF CHRIST, WE WILL CONQUER.

-James Fidero

(My mother will enter her weekend update later this evening, but I wanted to get my posting on before we headed back to Ave Maria University and put in my 2 cents worth!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that is so encouraging. i'm so happy to hear how well paul is progressing. prayer definently is powerful. and i will continue to pray for paul and your family. the Lord be with your spirit, grace be with you.

Anonymous said...

James,
I could hear your voice as I read this today. I am smiling from ear to ear to hear the joy bound forth not only for the life of your brother, but for the life of all your brothers and sisters in Christ. Our Lord has placed an incredible load on all of you and you have served Him well and brought us all along the journey. We will keep you and the rest of Ave Maria in our prayers as your studies for this sememster will soon be ending. Peace.
Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Just me, or does James Vernon bear an eerie resemblance to a young Jim Brown (granpa)?