Sunday, February 12, 2006

Heal your people, Lord!

Paul and his dad reach the first landing of stairs at church









Paul and his dad ascending the stairs at Holy Spirit Catholic Church








Paul and his dear friend, Susan Vogtner









Jon, Paul and Rebecca









The prayers of so many were certainly heard in heaven, as we were able to get Paul to Holy Spirit Catholic Church for the Mass on 2/11, the feast of Our Lady Lourdes. We woke to a cold and rainy day, so I had to think carefully about whether we should take Paul out in it. He did not have any pain and was very alert, so we started to get him ready at 7 a.m. to have plenty of time to get going by 10:00. Our morning went very smoothly, so we took that as a sign to proceed forward. I left before Jon so that I could receive the sacrament of Reconciliation at St. Stephen's, and Jon met me there so we could also take Patty Palmquist with us. Patty read some prayers to us from the book of 15 Saturday devotions of our Lady of Pompeii as we drove almost an hour to Holy Spirit Church.

The entrance to Holy Spirit has a large set of stairs, and we didn't know where there was another entrance. The rain had stopped, so Jon took Paul up the stairway and I got a blanket and other supplies we might need and met them at the top. There had to be 25-30 steps and I was thinking that would about do it for Paul. But when I got to the top, he was fine. We entered the sanctuary and went to sit up near the front. Paul stopped at the pew and we motioned for him to sit down, but he gave us the 'one minute' sign and he then struggled to genuflect. He knelt on both knees and signed himself. Then he got up with our help and sat down in the pew. We had an hour before Mass, but there was going to be a rosary said first. About 15 minutes later, Jon's cell phone rang. It was Michael and he had just had a car accident. I realized immediately that something was wrong, as Jon got up and was leaving the church hurriedly and his voice let me know Mike had an emergency. Patty stayed with Paul, and I met Jon in the back of the church. Mike was okay, so I talked to him to make sure he knew what to do next. After he made sure no one was hurt, I told him I would call his Aunt Beverly. I was able to reach her at home, and she and Joe were able to get to Mike in about 15 minutes. We were over an hour away and I didn't want Mike to be alone. I then let Mike know help was on the way. Bev called me right back and told us to stay for the Mass, they would take care of Mike. Jon and I talked about it and decided that we would stay, since we had made it this far. As the rosary was being prayed by all those who were at the church, I was once again sitting in one place with one son, and was not able to be with another son who needed us. November 11 and February 11.....2 accidents, but praise be to God there were different outcomes. I told Mike that God surely was calling him by name and to pray for the guidance to do His will, and that truly Our Lady of Lourdes had surrounded Michael with her love and protection. I knew too that Our Lady of Lourdes had Paul right next to her heart, just like Michael and that all would be taken care of.

Paul followed the Mass very well, and stood, sat and knelt through most of the Mass. He walked to the altar for both the sacrament of Anointing of the Sick and also to receive the Eucharist. He did not show signs of fatigue, which let me know convincingly that Our Lady was providing him with the strength he needed. When Mass was over, Paul did something that let me know he was cognizant of what he was doing and where he was. Our family has always knelt back down after the last song has been sung and the priest has left the altar. We take a few minutes more to spend time with Jesus. As the priests and the Archbishop left, the people around us started to hug us and let us know they were praying for Paul. Paul was not paying attention to them - he immediately knelt back down and was in his own thoughts. After a full minute, he then got back up and let people hug him. There were people from St. Stephen's that we knew, who were also there for their own intentions at the healing Mass. It was good to be with them, joining our prayers with theirs for everyone's healing. Also, Paul's dear friend Susan Vogtner came and she sat next to Paul during the Mass. He remembered her and I was so happy for him to have a friend near by. (We know that any break from our constant presence has got to be a relief for Paul!!!)

After Mass a priest had come back down the aisle and he told Paul that he knew Paul would have a good recovery. He asked Paul his name and Paul spoke it. Then the priest said that he would be saying Mass for Paul the next day. I thanked him for this and said that we appreciated it very much and that God had truly blessed our miracle child. The priest leaned over to Paul and told him that he too was a miracle child and he knew that Paul would have a full recovery. I asked the priest his name and he said Fr. John Fallon. We have never met Fr. Fallon, but his words brought so much comfort to us. I thanked him again for his reassuring words and his prayers.

Then the photographer from the Georgia Bulletin came over to take Paul's picture and he gave us a prayer card that he keeps in his wallet and recites the prayer everyday. He wanted Paul to have it so Paul could pray it also every day. We have it on Paul's night stand, along with the St. Padre Pio holy oil and the relic of St. Paul. We use these every night to bless Paul as we pray for his recovery. We have received so many wonderful holy cards and prayers and we are keeping these all for Paul. I know that each one will serve a purpose for him at the right moment, just as they have when they were first received by us.

Four hours later, we had Paul home, and into bed for a very long afternoon nap. He had a headache that night, and again today. But by late afternoon, he was back to being very alert and he ate a good lunch and fairly good dinner. He tried to drink milk again and was able to swallow the first sip. I am encouraged that he keeps trying. Also - he was at the bathroom sink last night and after washing his hands, he opened the cabinet and got his toothbrush without me asking or cueing him. He followed through with getting toothpaste on it and completed the task all the way to putting his toothbrush away. I did not have to even ask him..........he just did it. Big news around here!!

He played his guitar again tonight, but not very well. His hands have been shaking mildly since he got pneumonia, and we are not sure why this is happening. His medications may not be the right dosage since he has lost so much weight since they were first prescribed. I will be following up with Dr. Taubin this week about that.

I read the prayer of Saint Bernadette Soubirous, who was favoured with a series of visions of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Lourdes, France. How appropriate for us all.

"I want my whole life to be inspired by love. He who loves, does all things easily, or, if he suffers, he loves that suffering. Why is suffering necessary? Because on earth, pure love cannot exist without suffering. O Jesus, Jesus, I no longer feel my cross when I think of yours.
O my soul, be the faithful imitator of Jesus meek and humble of heart. He who has been meek and humble of heart deserves to be glorified. What then will be the reward of those who, interiorly humble and exteriorly humiliated, have followed the humility of our Saviour in all its dimenstions?
O Mary, my dear Mother, here is your poor child, unable to carry on any longer. You know my needs and above all my spiritual distress. Have pity on me. Grant that one day I may be with you in heaven.
I shall do everything to gain heaven, for there is my home. There I shall find my Mother in all her celestial glory and with her I shall enjoy the happiness of Jesus himself. O Mary, most loving Mother, grant that following your example, I may be generous in all the sacrifices that our Lord may ask of me during my life.
O Mother, offer me to Jesus. O Mother, take my heart and conceal it in the heart of my Jesus.

What a glorious day for us all, and while we weren't in Lourdes, France - we knew Our Blessed Mother was with us!

"I turn to you, Lord, in time of trouble, and you fill me with the joy of salvation."
Psalm 32

Peace in our Lord Jesus Christ,
Jon and Rebecca

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the beautiful prayer! The words are so inspiring to me, a child who is often afraid to trust in God's eternal plan. But what are my sufferings compared to Christ's on the cross... or compared to yours!?! There are no words to describe my joy that Paul has been able to get to mass and receive holy communion - and that he remembers it all so well! You are all in my prayers throughout each day. I pray that we all be thankful for this suffering, for it has enabled us to love purely.
Geneva
'Anything less than everything for a crucified Savior is not enough.'

Anonymous said...

WOW!

What a wonderful story. I am happy for all of you that you could enjoy the mass, and that Mike is okay. Perhaps we should all start riding horses again for transportation!!!

Your blog reminded me again, that God always gives us what we need. Perhaps, we don't always get what we WANT...but what we need, He always provides. Every day that Paul is on this planet is a great day. Even though his injury was very serious, he is here with us and is recovering. That is such a wonderful thing.

Love to all of you,

Connie

Anonymous said...

Yo Adrian,
Nice work climbin those stairs rocky!!!, Next you'll be boxing in a meat locker. Keep it up!

Bhanrah

Anonymous said...

When Andrew and another disciple first met Jesus, they asked Him where He was staying. His answer was, "Come and see". We don't get explanations up front, only the invitation to "come and see". You, Paul, your whole family have decided to go with Jesus and see where He stays; He will never disappoint; we who call on His name will never be ashamed! A year, two years from now you will turn in the road and will be struck with awe at where you are, and all you will be able to do is fall at His feet in joy to praise His name--there will be no sorrow in it, no regret, only a profound awareness of His unfathomable compassion and gentleness. It is still true that "...the blessing of the Lord...makes rich, and He adds no sorrow to it". Today, anew, go, see where He is staying--He alone is your hope, your comfort, your consolation. Amen, and amen.

Anonymous said...

To all the Fideros

Happy Valentines Day!!!!!!!