Thursday, January 26, 2006

THERE IS NO JUICE IN JELL-O

Paul has always been the strong willed child, with a very passive aggressive type response to things he did not like. If it weren't for the fact that he is actually running a fever, I would swear that he was getting back at me for 'sneaking' in a daily dose of vegetables and fruits. He had a low grade fever Tuesday night, which we realized after he had been very chilled when we went to Target that evening. He was shivering, so we didn't stay and finish what we went to get. I got him all bundled up, but on Wednesday morning he said he had a stomach ache and headache. I kept a watch on him and he seemed fine in the later afternoon. I even took him for a short visit to DTSi, to see Richard Watson, his employer and boss. (Richard was not in the office the first time we visited.)
He ate very well during the day on Wednesday, and I got in all the daily requirements of fruit/vegetables with the organic juice supply on hand. I was feeling pretty good about how nutritious the meals were. Wednesday night, Paul did not eat, he did not get out of bed at all. Thursday morning, he seemed lethargic, but okay. He did not have a fever, so I proceeded to get him ready for his rehab at 9:00 AM, and was completely ready to go when Paul provided a visual aid as to how upset his stomach was. I spent the next hour and a half cleaning up and getting Paul back into bed. It was a very tough morning for both of us. Much later in the day, when I could actually laugh about it all, Jon and I kidded about how this would be just like Paul to let us know he didn't like being 'duped' by getting his nutrition 'slipped' down the tube! Or that he sure went to extreme measures to let us know the next meal had better be from Subway! I have kept him on clear liquids and Jell-O (don't worry Paul - no nutrition there-smile!) until this evening and then I diluted his normal formula with water. He was able to keep that down. He is now running a fever of 100.1 and I am sure he must have a stomach virus. Please keep him in your prayers, as he does not need to lose any more weight. In fact, I was just recently telling my sister that he had gained 5 pounds. We have back tracked in other areas, and I don't want to give up any weight!

To go back to his visit at DTSi, it was a wonderful visit for Paul. He walked in and went straight to his desk. He sat down and turned on his computer. Everyone was very busy getting letters ready for the mail that day, and there are hundreds that have to be prepared. That was Paul's usual job, so Lisa jokingly gave Paul a pile of letters to get posted with certified mail receipts. He started to do them without any problem!! We were amazed. I was so happy to see that he really does remember so many things. I have been worried about his not wanting to eat or being able to swallow liquids, so his remembering this old task was a really bright spot for me. Richard was at lunch, so we waited a bit longer until he came back. Paul followed him into his office and sat at Richard's desk. They were checking out the newest compter which has a camera installed in it, so Richard took a few pictures of them together. Paul had not talked all this time, so I asked him to say something so Richard could hear his voice. He said hello and Richard said that was all he needed to hear! He had not seen Paul since Gwinnett Medical Center.

It is amazing the way Paul's brain has been working in bits and pieces. I never know what will make a connection or not. One very funny thing happened on Monday. I had picked him up from therapy and asked him if he wanted a roast beef sandwich from Subway and he said "no, not really." I asked him about a hamburger from Wendy's and got the same answer, "no, not really." I asked him about 2 other options and he again said "no, not really" in response. I was thinking that he was not really listening to me or was maybe stuck in a cycle of the same response. So I said that I thought of something really fun for us to do and that was to go look at wallpaper. Paul looked over at me and said "that's a definite no to that one." I laughed very, very hard and told him that his dad would be very happy to hear that! Jon has always said that there is nothing that makes his eyes glaze over faster than they do when we have looked for wallpaper. Like father, like son.

Posted below is the message of January 25th, that the Blessed Mother told the visionary Marjana, in Medjugorje, Croatia. It is always so appropriate for me when I do read her messages. While the Catholic Church has not commented on these visions of the Blessed Mother, there have been so many stories of conversions and greater prayerfulness and holiness experienced by the pilgrims who have traveled there at great expense and inconvenience. Traveling in that part of the world is not a very smooth process, yet millions have gone to see the mountain where the 7 visionaries have been receiving messages for over 20 years now. They still live in the village to speak to all the pilgrims who come and to give Blessed Mother's messages to the world. There is a monthly message on the 25th of each month and since Paul's accident, these messages have really struck a chord with me. I just have to help spread this Good News.

Message from Our Lady of Medjugorje - January 25, 2006

“Dear children! Also today I call you to be carriers of the Gospel in your families. Do not forget, little children, to read Sacred Scripture. Put it in a visible place and witness with your life that you believe and live the Word of God. I am close to you with my love and intercede before my Son for each of you. Thank you for having responded to my call.”

____________________
This message was transmitted by Mary to the visionary Marija and then translated into many languages.
____________________

This has been true with so many who have shared the Good News with us on this blog site. The Good News is that the Word of God was made flesh, in Jesus Christ our Savior. There have been so many quotes from Sacred Scripture that have helped us see that God is with His people and He loves us so much He sent His only Son.

This message came on the feast of St. Paul who was one of the most prolific writers in the bible. May we all allow God to open our eyes and help us receive the gifts of the Holy Spirit in our lives as we follow His will. Just as St. Paul did and prayerfully as Paul will do as he recovers. Paul is on an anti depressant and since he did not get the full amount due to being sick this morning, he did cry this afternoon. I decided it was a good time to help him sort through some of his feeliings. I asked him a number of questions about his sadness and he is very upset that he can't remember anything, that he feels confused and he misses his brothers and friends. He will need to deal with the enormity of what has been allowed to happen. I reminded him to pray to Jesus whenever he is feeling sadness, fear, frustration. I will keep reminding him of this very life saving love that Jesus offers to everyone. I will keep reminding him until it becomes the best habit he has going! Pray that he will be open to the pathway that God has set him upon.

Love to everyone,
Jon and Rebecca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was so happy to see and update as I sat at my computer this morning. Sorry though to hear of you not feeling so well Paul. Too bad we are not closer as I too have been under the weather. We could share your jello. smile. Hope you are on the mend. Rebecca, I hope when you bought your new washing machine you bought the big size. lol. I love you guys and am so anxious to see all of you soon. I too read the message from Mary the other day and thought, gee, I read my Magnificat, but am I shaaring it with the family? I think I will put our family bible on the table and have the list of daily readings with it so we can look it up each night at dinner.
Sending all my prayers and love to you.
MB

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mr. Fidero!!!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca--You are simply amazing. What a mom. We know where you get your inspiration!! Our Blessed Mother must be so proud of you!!