Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I get by with a little help from my friends...

Jon commented a few days ago that as time goes on, the readership will probably fall off and that maybe I should post a title like "Angelina Jolie dumps Brad Pitt for Paul" to keep people's interest up!

I know that this process of Paul's recovery is a bit like watching grass grow or paint dry,so thank you for sticking with us and cheering us all on!

Actually, today was a very fun day for us and I got my first 'joke' from Paul. I was going to apply his eye medication and each time I have tried to do this, I have had to explain what I am doing. Paul does not remember and he asks every time, what am I going to do to him. He is not very trusting when it comes to anyone putting their hands near his eye. So I finished explaining what I would be doing and he gave me the 'one minute' sign. I told him we were running short on time and told him to please trust me. I said I would count back from 5 and would then put the medication in. He asked me "which eye?" I had a puzzled look as I said "the left eye." He looked at me and said "It was a joke." Earlier, when I had asked him to pick up the fork and eat what was on it, he asked me "what happens if I don't?" I laughed and said "nothing will happen and your feeding tube won't be taken out either." He thought for a moment and then ate another bite. Paul learned again what WIN-WIN means......smile.

The hard (and sad) part about all of this is that Paul does not remember anything from the day before - at least 90% is forgotten. We have started to let his friends come visit if they call, but have told them that the visit benefits Paul a lot, but they may not get much out of it. Paul doesn't really talk unless asked questions and then he will answer with a yes or no. Mostly he will use his hands to signal his reply. It is an act of love for those who visit and we appreciate the loyalty of his friends and family.

Paul is eating more and had 2 pieces of Domino's Pizza last night - and he finished it in about 15 minutes, which is 45 minutes shorter than any other meal so far! Mike thought Paul might like some pizza again, so he ordered it and I was very glad about the idea, as I had a break from cooking. We put a fire in the fireplace, as it was cold and rainy outside, put a movie in and waited for the pizza to be delivered. It was a wonderful evening and a reminder once again of how blessed we are to have Paul alive and with us at home. It was also a reminder to me of how I used to take so much for granted. There have been so many special memories like this evening since Paul's accident and I am so glad we will have a record of some of his accomplishments. Not to mention the encouragement of friends and family to keep our spirits high, as we watch 'the grass grow'!

I want to quickly mention something that should have been included in a prior posting. I forgot to thank Geneva for all her terrific help this past weekend. She came by and helped me get organized so that I would not always be scrambling trying to find everything I needed in the care of Paul. There is now a designated area for the medications and supplies. Also, I finally got caught up on all the laundry that got backed up after my washer broke this past Saturday. Geneva took care of the downstairs while I got all of Paul's belongings from the hospital, back into his room. I have realized that I have not had the time to send out the thank you cards I have had since about 2 weeks after the accident. There are so many people I would like to thank for the dinners sent over, the phone calls and cards that have been sent and the money contributed for Paul's medical needs. We have been so overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone and I want to say that I have not forgotten anything that has been done. It is still my goal to send my personal thanks to a lot of people! Please be patient, as I continue to try to find my way on this new road I am on. God knows what each of you have done and may your rewards flow from heaven above for your love and generosity.

After the visit from family this weekend, it occurred to me that Paul needs to reconnect with his past. He has done so well being home, and is so relaxed and content. I know that he needs to reconnect with familiar things in his life, so I picked him up at Pathways today, stopped for some food and also picked up Abby Dog. We then went to DTSi for a visit. I was not really sure how to get there, so once I got closer, I explained to Paul where we were going and asked him to help me not miss the street. There are 4 driveways into other businesses and at the street past these driveways there is a street that you need to turn left. Paul said as we got to the 1st driveway, "not this one" then repeated the same words as we went past the next 3 driveways. At the entrance to the office building, he told me to turn left. He knew exactly where we were. On one of the parking spaces, Lisa Hanrahan had made a sign that said:

RESERVED FOR PAUL
DO NOT PARK HERE

She had 2 flags flyng at the top! It was so sweet and I worked hard not to start crying. I had not noticed it when I first pulled in, as I was trying to see which door was the entrance and wanted to park close to it. I saw it when Paul and I were walking in.

Paul walked right in and knew where he was. He went to Richard's office and sat down. Everyone sat around him and we talked while Paul took it all in. I had not been here before, so we went back to Paul's office that he shares with Lisa and he sat at his computer and tried to open it. I asked if he remembered any of it and he said no, but he kept clicking away checking it all out. The phone rang and I have to admit, I was a bit afraid he would answer it! We had a wonderful visit and after realizing that everyone at DTSi had not had lunch yet, I thanked them all so much for their wonderful support and the friendship they have offered Paul and our family and we went back home. Lisa sent Paul on his way with a box of cookies, two of which he ate on the way home.


"You saw how the Lord, your God, carried you, as a man carries his child, all along your journey until you arrived at this place. (Dt 1:31)

Paul is 'getting by with a little help from his friends. You have all helped carry him along his journey and have been faithful servants of God, living God's Word through your actions and love.


In this bright sun filled day, my heart can hardly contain my joy. While the news of Paul finally eating some food, telling a joke or visiting co-workers is not as thrilling to some who might prefer to hear what Brad Pitt is doing, it remains HEALINE NEWS in our world!

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with us all.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with us all...
It is with all of us because this blog has opened our eyes to Paul and your family as the ultimate example of faith and trusting Jesus.

Everyone who reads the blog celebrates Paul's progress-- small or large. We'll keep praying and you keep going.

Anonymous said...

probably very few people who read this know me...my name is Alison DePrisco...i am a volunteer who does the Ave Maria yearbook...i know the Fidero name from last year's book and i am in the loop on emails of happenings at the University. When the info about Paul was sent to me i went on and read and was stunned and saddened at the accident. I have read every single day since. do not fear that we will get tired of reading about the little accomplisments each day. i think they are wonderful. it's like reliving my children growing up again (i have twins who are 11, a girl who is 9 and a boy who is 4 so they are still growing and changing). Your family's strength and faith are amazing and it has obviously sustained you all and Paul as well. i hope i can be that way should any adversity come my way. I tell as many friends as i can about Paul's progress. I start every day with the blog. it's like reading a bible verse and a re-affirmation of my faith. God Bless you all - heal well and be happy.

Anonymous said...

Please continue to post as often as you can - everytime I get on the internet at home, this is the second place I go after checking my email. I am always a little disappointed when there is not a new post. Paul's progress is nothing short of miraculous and the faith of all of the people in the Fidero family's path is something to behold. Aside from reading Paul's good news, I always feel like I've gotten a mini homily - I truly appreciate it!

Vicki Cunneen

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I check the Paul Fidero Blog BEFORE I check my e-mail!

If reading this is like watching grass grow, I need to spend more time with my lawn.

As long as you keep writing, I'll keep reading!!

Anonymous said...

January 18, 2006

Dear Fid’s

We’ve enjoyed watching the grass grow, but grass does need to be mowed,

“Paul’s ass is grass and were the lawn mowers!!” or is Mikey the lawnmower? Guess Paul better watch out for Mikey……

Just kidding!!

Actually we love watching the grass grow. But after all, we are Fidero’s, we got these genes from Mom and Pa. We all know how much they loved their garden and doling out the fruits of their harvest. (Boy, we sure do miss them)

We love seeing the photos of Paul visiting his work. It is obvious he works for a great company. We are looking forward to meeting his co-workers when we come in July. The photos of Abby were awesome. “A boy and his dog,” need we say more.

We understand if you don’t have time to update everyday, but if you were to stop this blog, we junkies would have to talk on the phone to you every day, and now the phone bills will go up and you would have to explain what is happening to each of us over and over.

We really appreciate that you take the time to keep us all informed as much as possible. We understand it takes time from your very busy day, but some of us read it everyday, including the messages from others. Yes, we don’t always comment, but we are thrilled to hear about all the progress and it still give us reason to continue to pray for Paul and the family and keep us all in touch with God. Some times we need a reminder to be thankful for the little things in life, and you, Rebecca, continue to remind us of this.

When I left work tonight, the sun was setting and the sky was gray and pink. It was beautiful, I thought of the Atlanta Fidero’s right away. I remembered Rebecca’s comment about when you took off in the air plan for Jon’s wedding. I stopped and prayed for all the Atlanta Fidero’s and thanked God for all the blessing in my life before I started my truck.

So, please don’t stop writing about the daily progress. Rick and I know what you walk through each day; we did a lot of the same with Mom and Dad Fidero and my own Mother. Were sure the Atlanta Fid’s were walking in our shoes then, not living within driving distance of your loved ones, this helps keep us in touch. Wish we had something like this back when……

We love you all and thank you so much for sharing your daily experiences of “This Testimony for God.” We are all able to witness all our prayers through this blog.

God Bless You All,

Love, Rick, Debi, Stephanie & Kelly

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how many people know about Paul through this blog. There are dozens of people I know who ask about him all the time. This blog is VERY important, because you use it to share hope and faith with every single post. I don't believe the readership has dwindled because we all get so much out of it above and beyond Paul's news. As time permits (and I know your time is limited), please tell us all every single detail of Paul's recovery. It is so satisfying to tell all of my friends who ask...and there really are many...how God's blessings are touching Paul, you and all of us.

I just found out the other day, some touching news from a childhood friend. Ansley lives in Savannah. Each week since Paul's accident, she has lit a candle for him at her church. Knowing that just made my day.

Peace to all of you Fideros,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment after this entry. Please, PLEASE, know how much we appreciate you taking the time to write this blog! I am one of those who check it first thing in the morning and sometimes several times a day. From the sounds of the comments - I'm not the only one. It is sooooo wonderful to hear about Paul. It has been such a joy to be able to know daily every improvement, big or small, in Paul's life. I think this is the BEST use of technology yet. So many have been able to pray with the latest issues, because of your faithfulness to this site. I love the pictures too! I'm more afraid that you'll get tired of writing before I ever get tired of reading!!!!
Love, Sandy Rose

Anonymous said...

Amazing. God has been so good to you, and to all of us. Paint dries quickly when you're busy doing something you enjoy--like sitting by the fire, eating pizza as a family. All our best to you, and may God continue to pour out His tenderst mercies on you

Mark, Rebecca and the St Louis gang

Anonymous said...

Dear Rebecca,
After reading the recent comments, I also agree that any news about Brad Pitt and whats her name, can't hold a candle to what we, as the readers, have received from your beautiful words!!

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to bring smiles, encouragement, words of wisdom and GREAT PICTURES to all of us out in cyberspace!

Please know that with each blog, prayers are sent to our Heavenly Father to continue the great work He is doing in your family.

In Christ,
Lorraine Kilian (Shannon's mom) from Portland, Oregon