Saturday, January 28, 2006

Needing To Chill Out.........Literally. Prayers Are Needed

First and most importantly, I would like to ask everyone to please pray for Diane, who is the sister of Marie (Jon's wife). She is pregnant with twins and at 5 months has experienced contractions. It is much too early for these babies to be born and we are asking that you pray for the health of both Diane and the twins. Thank you so much for responding to this urgent request.


Since Wednesday, Paul has been battling the flu. His temperature has been around 101 and we are trying to keep him cooled down with plenty of fluids, rest and Tylenol. He has lost the weight he was able to gain and is very weak and lethargic. We are asking for your prayers again at this time. We are doing everything we can to make sure he does not end up back in a hospital.

Today, Jonathan and Joseph Tarantino stopped by to see how Paul was doing. We always enjoy all the young people who come by, since our home is then filled with their laughter and energy. It is also great for Michael, since Paul used to take him with him so often and Paul's friends were Michael's friends. All three sons have looked out for Michael and that is what has made this all especially hard for him. He really misses spending time with them all. He checks in on Paul everyday, and sits and talks to him, but it is hard for him, since Paul doesn't really talk much, if at all. I know Michael is looking for the day when he can drive Paul around and just hang out with him. I keep picturing those kinds of moments in my head, which helps me to keep my thoughts on the future and my faith in God.

When the Tarantino's were here, Paul was in his lounge chair, and listened to the conversations among us all. He nodded when he was asked questions, but did not move at all. He had been in his room all day, and so we moved him downstairs to be with the family for a little bit. We then took him back upstairs after about 2 hours. Also, Brenda Stoll and her young son Nicholas stopped by to bring dinner to us. Nicholas made a wonderful card for Paul and on the front, drew Paul playing a guitar. Paul gave him the thumbs up sign after he read it.

We had hoped to go to adoration today at 11:00 A.M., but since Paul was so sick, only Jon got to go. He came home and I was so glad to see him, as I had been so busy with Paul's needs. He jumped right in and helped me in numerous ways. Later, when we had a chance to sit down and have a late lunch, I thanked him for all that he had done. He said that my saying that reminded him of the reading he had seen while in adoration. He was reading the Liturgy of the Hours, which are prayers and scripture readings for morning, afternoon and evening hours of the day, for everyday use. The midday reading was this:

Galatians 5:26; 6:2

Let us never be boastful, or challenging, or jealous toward one another. Help carry one another's burdens; in that way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

What joy to see a family united in love!
-the blessing of God rests upon it.

Prayer:
Lord, fill us with the resplendent light of your eternal love. May we love you above all things, and our brother and sisters for your sake. Grant this through Christ our Lord.

When Jon read this to me also, we reflected on how many people have shown their love for us, without boasting or expecting anything in return. The hundreds of prayers that have carried Paul on his road to recovery, and carried our family in the peace of Christ. I cannot describe in words the amount of joy I have felt in my heart all these past weeks, and I know it is your prayers that have been my saving grace. There are so many kind actions that people have taken to help lighten our load. People who have quietly prayed steadily for Paul, sent cards, called to cheer us up,posted beautiful comments, brought food, visited - our brothers and sisters in Christ living the Gospels with great faith and love. The light of Jesus Christ shines through all of you, which has brought yet one more gift to us - a spiritual renewal and growth in faith, love and hope. I wish I could personally hug all of you. I will send up my prayers of thanksgiving to God for each of you, with trust that your rewards will be waiting for you in heaven!

I did not want to forget to mention that on Jon's birthday on Friday, I had Paul call his dad to wish him a happy birthday. He talked to his dad with clear answers and it was terrific to hear him. I was immediately reminded how far we have come since my birthday, when Paul had only been awake from his coma for about 4 days. God amazes me. I have realized recently that even though Paul is in a very dependent and confused state, he has made me laugh or get tears of joy in my eyes everyday. I enjoy such tiny little things he does every day and while it may seem that his state of mind and body would cause me more intense sadness, I smile and laugh often while I am tending to Paul. God has provided me with just enough of these simple joys to keep my hope alive for Paul's recovery. At night, I watch him sleep, just as I have almost everynight with each son since their birth. I would end my day by looking at each of their faces for a few minutes, to remind me that they were gifts from God. It would help erase some of the frustrations encountered on the tough days, and would give me the renewed love and strength needed to start the next day. And believe me, being outnumbered like I was..........we had some tough days! Watching Paul sleep helps me realize the miracle of his life. Yes, God constantly surprises and amazes me.

Heart of Christ, who brings healing to the lowly and the weak, let us know your loving kindness, show yourself to all who seek. Amen.

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest sister,
I will ofer all my prayers for Paul and Diane today. As we celebrate mass as a family this evening, we will lift them up to our loving God and ask for healing through Jesus Christ. It is so wonderful how God gives us the grace to endure and to see the joy in little things to get us through the big things without realizing we are going through the tough times. Peace to each of you. I love you and miss you.
MB

Anonymous said...

Agnus Dei quitolis pecata mundi

Dona nobis pacem

Anonymous said...

Paul Fidero and Family

Diane and Paul are both in my prayers today, and everyday. I know it is comforting to know that someone is praying for you, and I am sure that Diane is glad that her request is posted in this blog, where many people can read and pray for her.

Paul~ Keep going Paul! Sickness can get anyone down till you just don't want to move. I have felt that way before and I say that you have every right to sit in a comfy chair. And with your family standing by you and caring for you, your bound to feel better.
Fidero Family~ On the road to recovery with Paul, it may seem long. But you have shone great faith and God is sure to keep your footsteps strong on that road. Keep up the good work!
Naomi

Anonymous said...

Yo Paully,

You got to keep on keepin on! flu schmu thats what I say. We've got to get your chops up so we can have our concert this summer. Hang in there. Rock on

Master B