Sunday, October 08, 2006

Can You Hear Me Now?

Sunday October 8

We have seen an upswing in the hours Paul spends up and active each day. He doesn't give quite as long a battle about getting up each day and is now a lot more self sufficient than ever. He gets up and gets his clothes ready, showers, gets dressed and comes downstairs ready to go each day. We are arriving on time a little more often now that he can handle so many things by himself. On Friday morning, he actually chose to wear his suit to morning Mass. Jerry came to pick him up and wasn't wearing a tie, which he normally does. Since Paul had his suit on he looked at Jerry and asked him if he would like to borrow a tie. It was pretty funny seeing Paul going through the ties and picking one out for Jerry. He is also starting to style his hair when he combs it! He has asked about some clothes he used to wear and now remembers. We packed up some of his clothes because he was wearing mostly sweat pants last Winter/ Spring. He now is wearing only the clothes he had before the accident. He found a couple of his shirts on Michael's side of the closet and remembered to make a comment about it to Michael when he saw him after school. Sorry Michael - once a little brother - always a litte brother! Some things won't change.

There is one very memorable moment from the past few days. I have shared it with a number of people because it was another example of how Paul may not have use of one of his eyes and one of his ears, but spiritually, he sees and hears more than most people! I woke him up one morning and he asked immediately for Tylenol. Usually he tries to wait until he gets closer to the time we leave the house. It meant it would not be as good a day for him. I silently prayed to Jesus and asked that if it were God's will, to please let him have some relief from the pain. I had just finished my prayer and Paul said out loud, "Blessed Mother, with your beautiful voice, please ask Jesus if he could help me with this pain today. Thank you for your prayers." I asked Paul if he knew what Blessed Mother's voice sounded like. I asked this because as he said his prayer, I flashed back to the first few days in the hospital, remembering the fact that I had asked our Blessed Mother to please hold Paul in her arms and take care of him since we could not hold him. We have all figured that he had some connection with heaven during that time, since he has changed so much spiritually since then. Paul said he has heard her. I asked what she sounded like and he said that he hears her not like he hears me talking to him, but there are times when he just knows that it is her communicating with him. I said that I wished I could hear her. He looked straight into my eyes and said very seriously, "Everyone can hear Blessed Mary speak. They just don't realize it."

I have dwelled on that very direct and simple statement for days. Then today, the Gospel reading was from Mark, 10: 13-16. "And people were bringing children to him that he might touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this he became indignant and said to them, "Let the children come to me; do not prevent them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it." Jon and I have talked before about how Paul is like a child in his love of God. He trusts in God completely for his recovery and relates his pain with the sufferings of Jesus. On Friday night he and Jerry went over to church to walk the 14 Stations of the Cross. Jerry said that Paul had almost cried 2 different times as he read the words of each station.

Last Thursday I had to work late. I was rushed and upset to find out that Jon too had worked late, so there was no dinner started and it was alreday 7 P.M. We were both a bit edgy and so Jerry took Paul to get something to eat. After they left, Jon told me that his company is looking at his unit to see what jobs can be eliminated. We've been in this position before and my normal reaction to that would have been instant panic. But I remembered how Paul will just stop what he is doing and will pray for help whenever it is needed. So I took Jon's hand and immediately we prayed for God to help us during this time and to protect us from a job loss, as the insurance for the family is through Jon's job. I was at peace, knowing that God will help us provide and that God knows our needs. We then went and got something to eat. When Paul got home, I hugged him and thanked him for his example of trusting in God. We had followed his lead of the 3 P's. Pause, Pray, Proceed. He smiled and said he liked that phrase. That night, he and I were still wide awake, so we said a rosary for a number of intentions and by the end of it, I finally felt very tired and was able to sleep well.

Saturday morning Paul shocked us with the request of joining Jon and me at perpetual adoration at 5 A.M. He heard us getting ready and he got up at 4:30 and got dressed. I reminded him it would be an hour and he said he really wanted to go. He took some Tylenol and we headed out. Paul led us in saying the rosary and he also took the time to explain how we should pray the Hail Mary. He said that we needed to pray more slowly and to pause before the name Jesus, and pause after it. His name should be set apart. When we finished, he said that when we say the prayer to St. Michael the archangel, we would not be pausing after saying 'satan' as most people do. He said we should never acknowledge satan that way. Jon and I smiled at each other. We had just received another lesson in Praying 101, from our son who can now see and hear so much better than before!

"Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, what God
has ready for those who love Him; Spirit of love
come, give us the mind of Jesus, teach us the
wisdom of God."

Peace to you in this day,
Jon and Rebecca

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I possibly add to this beautiful testimony. Blessed be God forever. His love is unending. Blessed be God for all the tears, the joy, the sorrow, the love He has allowed us to share, endure and grow in.
MB

Anonymous said...

Beautiful faith makes life a joy. I look forward to hearing you, Rebecca, at Magnificat breakfast November 11.....

Anonymous said...

There are more than 3Ps.. How about ...Paul's Persistence Propels Parishioners' (to) Pray

God bless you and your entire family.

Anonymous said...

Paul shows wisdom beyond his years. I can tell that he is a very important soul, and is needed on this Earth more and more each day.

We all sure are lucky to experience his recovery...aren't we?

Anonymous said...

wait..now how old is paul again? 20? 21? i am impressed!!! I cannot say i was even near that level of spirituality at that age....paul, you are such a beautiful example of trust in and fidelity to God's will...your reward will be greater than anything anyone can imagine. keep staying strong and you continue to be in my prayers!!!