Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Getting Checked Out

Thursday morning, Paul and I head back to Charlotte for the appointments he has. He will see the ENT doctor first to have the fluid in his nose tested to see if it is brain fluid. From there, we go straight to the hospital to have a spinal tap and an isotope study. We have to stay the night, so I will post the outcome of these tests as soon as possible. Jon would have come, but he has missed a good number of days at work taking Paul to Charlotte for the electrical stimulation sessions. So far, we have not had any dramatic results from them, but will finish the process with the hope of recovery of the facial nerve.

At Mass this morning, there were 3 people who came up and asked how Paul was doing. It is always so amazing to me that people are so loving and caring and still ask how our Paully is doing. God has been so generous in His love for our family, through all of you dear people. We all draw so much strength from the prayers and love that have been offered.

Today turned out to be a very blessed feast of St. Anthony. I called Paul as I was coming home from Mass to make sure he was awake. I knew he would want to go to Mass on this feast day because Jerry and he pray a beautiful prayer to St. Anthony every day. Jerry taught it to Paul and it was the first thing Paul was able to memorize after his accident. It is a prayer that brings so much comfort when I hear it. Paul was awake and was already getting ready for Mass. He was very clear in his speech and he was in a great mood. I heard later in the day about his attempt to climb Stone Mountain again. He got up some of the way, but had to turn back. He walked on the path around the base of the mountain to finish off his effort at excercise for the day. He also ordered a recumbent bicycle after finding a better price on line than the local sports store. He had a really good day and I truly believe that St. Anthony was right by Paul's side. We were getting ready tonight and Paul was still going strong at 10:30 P.M. I finally said I had to get to my things ready and reminded Paul that 5:00 AM is a tough time to get up! He was still surfing the net when I left the room.

Earlier in the evening Paul checked out the car I rented for our trip. We are trying to save the wear and tear on our vehicles, so I rented a car. I was able to get a great rate since our company does a lot of business with the rental car company. I brought the car home and of course, Jon and the guys all had to check it out. It has a camera in the rear that allows you to see if anything is behind you. The display is on the dash. There is the navigational system, which I won't need since I now know Charlotte better than some areas of Atlanta! What was great to see was how quickly Paul figured it out. I didn't have a clue how it worked and was not even going to turn it on. Paul had it on and asked me for the address of the ENT office in Charlotte. He said he would be in charge of it and would make sure we got there by the quickest route. He asked for a test drive and insisted on taking Abby for the drive around the BLOCK! It is amazing how cars can get the men in our home to come alive! They were all outside checking every feature there was and doing their test drives around the block. It was like Christmas around here tonight and the boys were trying to change my mind about getting a sporty car to replace my van. Needless to say - NO SALE. But it was lots of fun watching them have so much fun together.

I was so blessed today to be able to spend an extra hour in adoration. I was scheduled from 3 - 4 PM and the next person was not able to come, so I stayed the extra hour. Two full hours of praying and talking to Jesus, and listening for answers. It meant that I had to stay an extra hour at work to make up the time, but it was so worth it. I felt recharged spiritually and I know I will need that for our trip and the long hours spent at the hospital. I don't mind the drive up there. I have always loved driving on trips, so that part is something I actually look forward to. It's the long hours sitting in hospitals. My heart and prayers go out to those who have had chronically ill family members, who have spent many more hours than we have in hospitals. It is a lesson in patience.

I forgot to mention that Paul tried to actually 'run' this week. It was a very tough thing for him to do as he had a headache and the day was exceptionally warm. The pounding of his feet on the ground is not very comfortable for him, but he really wanted to see how well he could do. I asked if he was able to go very fast and he said, "Let's just say that Jerry kept up with me and he was basically walking." I congratulated him on his effort and he said that he will keep trying, but he was looking forward to working out with the bicycle. It was a smoother motion for him and safer. He said he really feels unsteady when he tried to run and he would surely not fall out of the seat as he worked on his stationary bike. He knows he needs to build up his endurance again. One more time he is having to regain what he lost after the last surgery. I love his determination though. Amazingly, today he said that he would not mind another surgery if it meant they were actually going to stop his headaches. He would gladly do it again if he had the reassurance it would do something. He still trusts that they will find the answer to his pain.
I also have trust that God is getting us to that day when Paul will find relief. He has shown us so often that He is helping Paul carry his cross. How thankful I am that God has shown us consolation along the way.

God bless all of you and your special intentions today. We will pray most especially for you as we say our rosary while we travel. Paul is very much aware that your prayers have carried us along this far. Thanks be to God for all of you.

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels...I still feel certain of full recovery for Paul, and this is just the next step in that journey. Enjoy the drive!

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you today...for a safe trip and a clean bill of health!
God Bless,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Safe travels!!

Anonymous said...

Watch for buterflies! Check that - you DRIVE and let Paul watch for butterflies!

Safe journey.

Peace, Love & no wrong turns,
bro-J

Anonymous said...

I prayed a Rosary for Paul today in the chapel at the Gift of Grace.

Paul is a beautiful witness, as are you Becky, and Jon, to FAITH in TRIAL with HOPE and JOY.