Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Whisperings

I got a call from the neurosurgeon's office as I was leaving the office today and they have set up an appointment with an ID doctor. I bet you are wondering, just as I was, what that is. I asked them and was told that we will be seeing an Infectious Disease doctor. Darn..........ignorance was bliss. As soon as I heard he had to see this type of doctor, my heart sank a little bit. As I started to really dwell on it, my heart sank lower..............

I was told that they will review his records, the slides of his brain fluid samples that they are running cultures on and will be handling the treatment of his infection. I didn't get a lot of information from the neurosurgeon's office about what to expect, except for one very disheartening fact. They will have to take the shunt out in the treatment of this infection. If the infection is coming from the shunt, it has to come out. If it is meningitis, the shunt is coming out. That was the part that I was dwelling on so much as I drove home. We are starting all over again and are now adding the complication of getting Paul past an infection. I tried to stay late at work to catch up on everything that piled up while I was gone, but could not concentrate at all. I closed up shop and drove home slowly, with my mind racing like crazy. Then I remembered the prayer James emailed me last night. He had called and told me how stressful his work load is, having signed up for 20 hours this semester in college. He said he heard this prayer and has been saying it to himself a number of times a day to help him keep everything in perspective. I had asked him to email it to me and I printed it so that I could keep it taped on my monitor at work. That way, I could bring about a 'pocket of peace' in the madness of my day! Again, it's funny how God's timing works. Just the prayer I needed today, with all of the uncertainty of Paul's newly developed condition and the mounds of work I had to tackle. God sent it to me through James at the most opportune time!! Try it.............you'll like it.

"Angel of God, whisper His name into my ear when the sounds of the world
disquiet my ears and discomfort my soul." - Sister Angelica

James added a note at the bottom saying I needed to remember this prayer, and know that Jesus does not abandon us.

To help me remember that He does not abandon us as we walk through these more difficult times, I do continue to say the prayer, "Jesus, I trust in you." I love that God has placed in my heart a more sincere trust in His ways.

I am not going to pretend that I am not sad about all that is happening. I am plenty sad that Paul is having to suffer so much, and just when we seemed to be flying higher! He is actually working on the computer doing some 'brain exercises' right now........without any prompting from me. He put in a huge effort at the pool Friday and tonight said how disappointed he was about not getting to go again tomorrow. He went to work today with a good size headache. Right after he got to work, he even called to tease me by saying he was going to just stay home with Judy and watch movies. When I suggested he at least try to get to work for a little while, he laughed and said he was already there! He had a really solid weekend and was active the whole time. Then, he came home last night, wiped out after his 4 appointments in Charlotte. That was to be expected. But getting the news that they had discovered he has a low grade infection came as a real shock to all of us. Finding out they have to remove the shunt was an even tougher blow. Yes, sad is the word to describe our feelings tonight when we came home. I have no other answer except to draw on our trust in God. So, we will grab our rosaries tonight and will pray fervently for God's intercession in all of this. We will trust that prayer will 'move this mountain into the sea'.

We won't know much more until after his appointment at 2:45 PM. I will give you the results and the plan of action. We do have to pack in case he is hospitalized after the appointment.

We all sat and read the comments tonight. In answer to them, yes, laughter makes satan mad. If someone is going to be mad - let it be him! Paul is strumming his guitar now..........and is singing of his love for his dog, Abbycake. Yep, we will rejoice and be glad, for this is the day the Lord has made. Praise His Holy Name...........listen for your angel to whisper it in your ear!

Love and God bless,
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying!!!!!

The California Fids

Anonymous said...

Michigan prayers: CHECK!!

Anonymous said...

Peachtree City prayers flowing in!! May you all be filled with grace, in not allowing Satan to distract you from your goal with feelings of despair. May His name be glorified in your faithfulness!
the barans

Anonymous said...

Peace, Love and . . . Prayers from Milwaukee.