Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bottom of the Seventh

I won't hold you in suspense..........Paul is home tonight with his team!

Jon and Paul saw Dr. Lang with the Infectious Disease Consultants around 3:00 PM. They were told that the brain fluid taken at the beginning of the isotope test Monday morning was run through the normal testing and the sample on the slide showed clear evidence of bacteria. The lab then placed a call to Dr. McLanahan's office. Jon was told by Dr. Lang today, that it is usually hard to detect bacteria, even through a microscope,. Therefore, because it was so easily seen on this slide, it did cause some alarm.

They have been running a culture since Monday at noon when the sample was first inspected. What has happened in these last two days is unusual. There has been no growth at all. They have not been able to identify the bacteria since there has been no growth so far. The next test they do is a white blood count. They took a blood test today from Paul and his white blood count is perfectly normal. Added to all this is the fact that there are no outward signs of an infection - no fever, worse headaches, stiff neck, vomiting, lethargy, mental confusion, sore joints, dizziness. Also, the brain fluid was perfectly clear, with no signs of infection. All they have is the first determination of clearly visible bacteria. There is a chance (albeit very small, per the doctor) that the introduction of bacteria came from outside, possibly from a non-sterile procedure at some point.

They will watch the culture for 2 more days and if nothing develops, Game's Over! We win!
My heart soared with joy after Jon told me what had happened. I was so thankful to God for what appears to be a positive outcome. I am leaving all of this to God and if a full blown infection comes along after all, then it must have a reason. I say this calmly because of what Paul told me last night as we were getting the last of his packing for the hospital completed.

I stood looking at him and said, "I wonder what this is all about. I mean, you are doing so well and have come along so quickly after that last surgery. Why are we going through so much struggle in getting you to your recovery?" Paul came over to me and said, "It is probably because God needs me to seek Him more. He needs me to do more for Him." I said something about how Paul has done so much already, most especially in the area of suffering. He said that God needs him to try harder. He said it is like taking the final exam. You have to study harder, do more seeking and more research than for the little chapter tests. You have to really put out a big effort to pass the final exam. That's what all of this is. Paul's final exam. He said he has to pass this final exam so he can go out and do God's work. He also has to pass this final exam because he doesn't want to spend time in purgatory and all of this is helping him become more holy. He said he would do even more if it meant he could cut his time in purgatory. He is being blessed with all these trials, as an opportunity to offer it all up for the atonement of his sinful ways. Listening to Paul explain the 'what for' has been the best response to any of my questions thus far! He is so insightful when it comes to spirituality. I treasure so many of his analogies because they are the perfect explanations.

This morning, he got up at 6:00 AM without us waking him. He got his own medication. That is a first! He then stayed up and hung out on the computer. He has been so much better at initiating his own entertainment during the day. Anyway, I came into his room a little later and he was listening to a CD that a friend in the school of music had made and given to Paul. Paul started to explain to me the difference in the songs - some were played in minor chords and he explained what made the songs sound so sad. He said he would not have done so many sad songs if he had been able to do a classical CD. I told him I was so proud of how much he knew and that it was interesting to listen to him. He responded, "Not too bad for a carrot." I laughed at his reference. He got this nickname from Jerry's mother, Judy. When she heard about how the first doctor had wanted us to take Paul off the ventilator to let him die peacefullyor he would in all probablity turn out to be a vegetable, she said that if Paul was a vegetable, he was the cutest 'carrot' she had ever seen. Paul remembered her nickname for him this morning and used it quickly after my comment about how smart he was.

Back to the infection issue. If anything does develop in 2 days, then Paul will be hospitalized and will require surgical removal of his shunt, and a second surgery to insert a new one once the infection is cleared. (Sounds about the same as a typical Atlanta Brave's type finish......A huge disappointment!) I believe though, that satan will be struck out.

Jesus, I trust in you.
Thank you for your prayers. You are an awesome crowd of supporters!

God bless you all,
Jon and Rebecca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, how cool is that?! We will keep up the prayers-extra strong-to keep that bacteria (and Satan!) from growing!!

God bless!!

Anonymous said...

Cutest Carrot! There is an image I won't soon forget!

Paul continues to amaze us with his strength and spirit. What a blessing to know him!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Another tear stained blog!! Good thing it's not on paper! Paul, your faith amazes me and lifts me up. I just wish my sons had your faith, (not that I would wish an accident on them to bring it about, nor for you, but what a blessing you are and have become!)God truly is working in you and helping all of us along the way. Thank you, you are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Hang in there, Our Lord has great plans for you!

Your fans in Wyoming