Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Play It Again, Paul

Yesterday was by far one of the best days we have had.

I was working downstairs and I got a text message from Paul on my phone. It took me by complete surprise and he asked "What do you want to do for lunch?" Happy that he might actually want to eat a meal, I responded with "What did you have in mind?" He answered "Do you want to go somewhere to eat?" I walked upstairs and asked if he wanted to actually go somewhere and sit down to eat, or just buy it and come home. He said he would like to go in and sit down to eat. I hugged him and said it would be great to go get some lunch and so when I finished work, we drove to a new local pizza cafe and we went in and ordered lunch. The only problem was that the music was so loud and with the tile walls and floor, it was very hard for me to hear anything Paul was saying because he talks softer than he used to. The sad part about all this was that I was the one who could not handle all this noise (there were TV's on also) and I was worried it would be too much commotion/noise for Paul. After about 20 minutes I asked him if he was okay and he said "Did you want to leave?" I said that if he was fine, we would stay. He said "Let's get them to put it in a box and we can go." I said that if he wanted to stay we would. I have to admit, I was not sure he was in overload with all the noise or if it was just me and he was trying to please me. He handed me the ticket and said "Go tell them we would like the order to go. It is loud in here." We got our order and went out to the van. It was a very nice and breezy day. Since my sister told me she would meet me there to bring some work for me from the office, we sat there and had our lunch. I told Paul I was sorry for ending the lunch plans, but he said that it was easier to talk out in the van................which we did. It turned out to be a very pleasant time.

When we got home, we took our afternoon walk. Afterwards, Paul came in and I thought he would want to lay down, but he went to the piano and started to play Pacabel's Canon in D. I quietly sat down behind him and looked out the window where everything is lush and green and the flowers have filled the front garden.(A true pocket of peace!) Paul played a very simple version of this song, but it was a song he has played before on the guitar, on the cello and now on the piano. When he was done, he turned around on the piano bench and saw me and smiled. He then continued playing - but he just played chords and scales, as if to remember things. He stayed there for about 15 more minutes. Then he decided to lay down to rest because he said he had a pretty bad headache.

Later, when my sister Bev came by again to bring the mail for me from work, I asked Paul if he would play again for his aunt. He did, but this time, it was harder for him to remember that song. Bev said out loud exactly what I was thinking.......it was so good to hear music in that room again. While we talked, Paul's concentration was again on playing chords and little pieces of things he was trying to remember. I think it is time for Paul to start some music lessons again and will try to get something scheduled this week. I know Paul would like to feel like something is the same in his life and music was his life before. Everything and everyone came second to his music. He needs to tap back into that as soon as possible. We have an appointment with the neurologist tomorrow to see if the shunt needs to be adjusted one more time. With Paul's continued headaches, I would think it might need that. Paul's headaches seem to be the only stumbling block to his recovery at this time.

The girl Paul had been dating before the accident came to visit Paul yesterday. He has not remembered anything about their 2 months of dating or Geneva herself. It is because it was too close to the accident. He remembers friends he has grown up with, but the more new or casual the friendship, he does not remember. This past week, he asked me who he had been dating before his accident. I told him who and he said he didn't remember that. He said he wanted to talk to her, so he called her. Geneva lives in Florida now, but said she would come to visit him. He was very happy about that and looked forward to her visit. Geneva came around 6 PM and we all had dinner. Paul was very talkative and funny and was very at ease with all the conversation. He got the usual headache around 8 PM and had to take his pain medication. He didn't want to sleep, so he asked Geneva, "Can you stay and watch a movie?" Geneva, Jon, Paul and I watched Chronicles of Narnia. Last Fall, Geneva said that they had planned to see this movie together when it was released. She said she had never gone to see it when it did come out. She was glad she was going to see it just as she and Paul had planned. Paul stayed awake through the whole movie and even made some funny remarks during it. It was great to see him put forth this huge effort at the end of an already huge day!!

Today, his brothers will all be home and he will have some more huge days ahead, I pray! I know I am so excited to have my whole family home and thank God for the blessing of my sons and husband. While I have endured (at times) being the only female in this home, I am truly one of the most blessed mothers on earth. Most especially now that my son Jon married Marie (who's awesome!). I have even more fun when everyone's home! God has brought me all that I need to move forward on this journey.

May the blessings flow abundantly for all of you,
Love
Jon and Rebecca

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca (and Paul),

Scales, Chords and "Canon in D"...take it from another musician...Paul is definately on his way back to becoming a GREAT musician. Scales and chords may be the "basics" but Paul is actually building a "foundation" of being a musician when he plays these!
They are NOT easy to remember...good for Paul!!!!!

Keep on playing, Paul...and I know that between you and God, you will make GREAT MUSIC together!

Carol Rehonic

Anonymous said...

One of the greatest and most constant blessings of this blog...is the reminder to enjoy the simple things. Your ability to recognize and enjoy little daily blessings is so inspiring.

Thanks for posting such a lovely message. I can't wait to hear more music coming from the back deck!!! Rock on!

Connie

Anonymous said...

To Rebecca, and Paul

This weekend is Mother's Day and I think Paul is giving you your gift early, his music!!! To Paul, have you used the computer yet? If not email me at Richard@gataxsales.com and let me know what you need and I will take care of it. We at DTSi rejoice at the continued advances you are making. It is because whether you like it or not, you are part of our family. So next time you get hungry, call us and we will treat you and your mom, who is awesome!!!

With much admiration,
Richard Watson

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY, have no doubt you are the best mother ever!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Paul,
Today I went for a run and since I haven't ran in forever, my run quickly turned into a walk :)...but then I got to remembering something you had said when Steph and I were up there;

after all of us got back from seeing Sean we were all like "Gosh I can't complain anymore he makes us all feel like little weaklings haha" and you said "yeah this morning I got in my car and it was like 100 degrees and I went to turn on the AC and deiced if Sean has to with stand 120 in the desert with all his gear on I can handle this" so you rolled up your window turned your A.C off and drove to work....haha

So back to my point, I started thinking of your situation and I slowly began running again :) I thought to my self "if you have to fight to strengthen your life and get back on track EVERYDAY I can handle a jog”....which of course applies to everything in my life! You’re now added to my Sean Deegan list haha…you have brought me so much inspiration and I know how tuff it may be to be looking at this entire forest from the bottom but you are touching so many people’s lives.

Keep up the Good work and I love you lots
Praying for you always,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

DEAR MRS.FIDERO,
I DITTO THE LAST COMMENT. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO YOU.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Rebecca!! I havent read Paul's blog in a few month, and I read it today... and i am amazed at how much progress Paul has made!! Praise God and His endless mercy!! Our family will continue praying for yours!!

In Him,
Kristina

*Jesus, I trust in You!*