Thursday, May 25, 2006

Earth Angel

We had an appointment with a new neurologist at Emory on Tuesday. We left very encouraged that someone might really be able to help us move forward in this very slow process. He spent an hour with us and he stated that he would like to be more aggressive in the approach to Paul's recovery. I felt a lot of hope after our appointment. He will help coordinate all the areas where Paul will need attention. We started the appointment with James responding to something he said with a quote from Star Wars. The doctor turned around and said, "My response to that would be..." and he quoted the next line from the movie. He said that yes, neurologists do watch movies. He was very friendly and spoke to us in plain english! He examined Paul thoroughly and said he is encouraged with all the responses given. He feels Paul needs to get into rehab as soon as possible. That is what I have been thinking since March! He will also need to have a neurphsychologist work with Paul and asked if we had thought about getting Paul music therapy. I told him we have wanted a number of things for Paul, but the headache/shunt issue has immobilized him. He called the clinical manager for the neurosurgeons at Emory and said he would like Paul to be seen ASAP so that issue can be fixed and we can move on. James and I looked at each other and smiled as we listened to this doctor taking charge. He then gave us his email address so we could get through to him in case of an emergency. He had to leave the room for a moment and James helped lighten the moment for us. He picked up the little hammer the doctor had been using to test Paul's reflexes. As he tapped his knee, he moved his arm out. Then he tapped his head and waited about 5 seconds and then blinked his eyes in an exaggerated way. He had Paul and me laughing so hard with all this. Laughter.....the best medicine!

As we were leaving, the doctor asked me, "What's the medal that is behind your cross?" I have been wearing a gold cross for the last 17 years that was given to me by Jon's mother. I added a St. Benedict medal that Fr. Paddy had given to us in March. I told the doctor it was St. Benedict. He said "very good" and then told us about some blessed oil he had from a Greek saint ( I am afraid I can't remember the name ). He told us the story of this saint and the miraculous cure associated with the saint. He also told us about some blessed oils he has from a number of Marian shrines. I said that Paul has been very blessed in that he has been touched with relics of 5 saints and also was able to wear the zachetto of Pope John Paul II while a Mass was being said for him while he was in a coma. The doctor said "That is very cool!" and he looked at Paul and said "it looks like you have been hooked up!" I told the doctor that we truly believe it was from the prayers of so many people that Paul lived and the doctor said "Absolutely. The powerfulness of prayer can do it." He said that looking at the CT scans he feels that Paul is a poster child for miracles. He said that all that Paul has been through, it is remarkable how well he is doing. We left the office with very high hopes that relief was on the way. Even the very bad traffic home didn't douse our joy. (Atlanta and bad traffic are synonymous - smile!)

I waited yesterday to post a blog because I was waiting to hear from the clinical manager about an appointment with a neurosurgeon. I did not hear from him and in the afternoon, I called him. He was waiting for someone who was in meetings that day and so would not get back to me until today (Thursday). I have to admit, that caused my feelings of anticipation to drop down. I heard the words 'aggressive and ASAP' on Tuesday and my interpretation seems to be different...........sigh. I woke up this morning at 3:30 AM because I found it hard to sleep knowing that Paul is the one who is suffering still and his headaches are so severe. (I mentioned that to the clinical manager and he said he should have the name of the neurosurgeon that will be able to help us by today.) I was so churned up inside that I decided that the only thing that would help me was to go downstairs and pray the rosary in the room with the Blessed Mary statute and the crucifix. I started to cry because of the tension I was feeling and the helplessness of the situtation (especially since it was 3:30 AM!) and then my eyes rested on the rose that was made by the 'angel' who gave it to Richard Watson. The homeless man's message to Richard, when he handed the rose made from a palm strand, was "Tell them to wait." I stopped crying and said out loud "I am waiting Mary, but please pray with me to Jesus for strength." I thought to myself about the fact that we have been doing this for only 6 months and there are so many others who have watched their sick children or family members suffer for lots longer. I also thought about how long Blessed Mary watched Jesus and all of his sufferings as He spoke over the years to people who would not listen. I sat and dwelled on this for a long while and started to feel peace once again. Then, like always, I was given a message that I am being given all that I need to do God's will. I decided to write the blog so that I would not leave people worrying about how Paul is doing. I first opened my email to see if there were any more responses to my posting on the Nat'l Hydrocephalus Foundation and found someone who has had some similar problems and they gave me their phone number. Another stranger reaching out to help. Praise be to God. Then I opened an email I had received over a week ago that I had meant to answer. It was from a friend of my son Jon's who has entered a convent in Spain. Her name is Kathryn Shea and she had answered an email I had sent to her. Her words struck such a chord with me as I read them. I had read the email once before, but this time, the words were meant for me to SEE. God was speaking to me through her.


"I am very content here, full of peace and the joy
of knowing I am doing what God has called me to do.
It's such an overwhelming happiness, even amidst the
hardships from time to time, to know that God is
guiding our every step. It allows us to totally trust
in him, surrendering all our own thoughts and plans,
but knowing he is giving us what we need most. Our
Blessed Mother is always guiding us too, straight to
the foot of the cross, where Christ is crucified. How
blessed we are to have her guiding us, so gentle, so
loving."

Once again, an 'earth angel' was sent to help me. There is such reassurance remembering that God is guiding our every step and that this day will allow me to totally trust in God if I keep surrendering all my thoughts and plans to Him. It made me smile as I read that "Our Blessed Mother is always guiding us too, straight to the foot of the cross, where Christ is crucified." Our statue of Mary sits directly under the large crucifix on the wall, with only about an inch between them. It was where I was drawn to when I came downstairs so early, full of overhwhelming emotions. As soon as I sat in front of the statue and crucifix I could not hold it all in anymore and the tears and prayers flowed. For this person whose faith is weak and who needs visual aids, the signs were right in front of me.

May you all be aware of God's presence in your day, while offering everything up for His greater glory. May your hope be alive today, on this Solemnity of the Ascension of Jesus into heaven!
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

( I will update the post as soon as we find out what course of action will be taken today. We won't wait too long before taking Paul to the Emergency Room, as his headache is really intense this morning and he has to have relief. It is not safe for him to have all this pressure.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul - I am your father (heavy breathing)***

-DV