Thursday, May 11, 2006

By the Time I get to Phoenix...........

November 11 - May 11
We have arrived at the 6 month mark today. I reflected on this road our family has been traveling. While it is comparatively a short distance when stacked up to other people's, I am amazed at how far we have come.

Usually it is tough for me to see the progress we have made since I am smack dab in the middle of it - the long hours spent in emergency rooms, hospital rooms, waiting rooms and Paul's room! So many hours watching Paul suffer in pain and wondering when he will get relief. People have said, "I can't believe all that you have been through." But looking back and assessing what we have been through and where we are, I have to say in response - "Just look where we are now!" By the time we get to Phoenix on this walk from Georgia to California, we will be close to 'Dancing in the streets'!

Yesterday was monumental for Paul. He had his appointment at the neurologist yesterday and his shunt was adjusted down one notch. We will see how that works over the course of the next few days. I am going to be so prayerful that Paul will find the relief he needs. We stopped at the store on the way home and Paul always stays in the van, seat reclined, and sleeps. He asked how long I would be and I said about 15 minutes. I told him I needed to get some things for the dinner we were going to have to celebrate Marie's graduation and Jon's birthday. He said he wanted to come in. I have to admit, I said to myself, "Oh blast, he won't last that long." I pictured me getting half the items and then Paul saying his head hurt too bad and I would have to stop and walk him back out to the van and then finish my shopping. But instead, I told him that it would be great for him to try and we went in. He pushed the cart and he actually had a good steady pace as we walked in and went to the florist section to get balloons. I waited to hear him say something about having to wait while they got the balloons ready, but he stood patiently and watched. I had not been in this store before and didn't know the layout. So I stood there with the big balloon bouquet, looking around to get my bearings. I was wondering where the frozen organic food section was and Paul asked what I was looking for. I told him and he pointed to a man who worked at the store and said, "Why don't we ask him?" ( The old saying is not true about men - men do know how to ask for directions!) I had to laugh with relief as I was in a bit of a panic because I just knew that as I was standing there with all those balloons, Paul would tell me he was done with this adventure and would want to go out to the car.
So we asked and were able to quickly get the 10 or so other items I needed. As I picked up the last item, Paul did say he needed to get out of there, his head was 'killing him.' We checked out and he pushed the cart to the car and then............he put the bags into the car so I could hold onto the balloons! My hero for the day! This was Paul's first grocery shopping in over 6 months. I don't imagine grocery shopping will ever be high on his list of fun things to do, but he handled our 30 minute shopping trip wonderfully well.

When we got back, Paul, his brothers and Marie went to rent a movie. They spent the rest of the afternoon in Paul's room with their popcorn and movie. I think most of them got some napping in, as Jon, Marie and James were tired from their long trip home from Naples the night before.

Paul also joined us at dinner and did not have to leave the table early like he had when everyone was home last time. It was a very enjoyable time. After dinner, Paul was ready to call it a day and had to lay down again. All the rest of us sat on the front porch to enjoy the rain and very cool weather. Right before we went in, the clouds cleared, allowing the sun to color them a soft orange, then pink as the sun set. It was a glorious sight, to be sure. With a peaceful and joyous heart, I went back inside and we gathered in Paul's room to say the family rosary. He didn't move while we prayed the first 3 Glorious Mysteries, but at the 4th, he rolled over and picked up his rosary and followed along for the remaining prayers. A perfect end to a perfect day.

We will wait to see if the adjustment to the shunt will work. Please pray that it does not overdrain the fluid so that we won't have to take a detour on our way to Phoenix. Yesterday, I had been thinking about the terrain of the land in Georgia and Alabama and realized it is very hilly. Northern Alabama has fairly high hills and so does Georgia. I smiled as I pictured how our walk has taken us over so many hills and into low valleys, just as if we were physically walking through these states. I seem to remember it is pretty much flat in Phoenix (except for Camel Back Mountain - I think that is what it is called). A detour around that might be good! Phoenix is a good distance away, but if we continue to grow as much as we have spiritually in the last 6 months, let us be on our way!

God's peace and blessings to you,
Love
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Masses and prayers we send your way
remembering that Godgive his greatest saints the biggest challenges....you should all be canonized soon.

Anonymous said...

6 months....what a difference such a short time makes. I still vividly remember (in the pit of my stomach) how we all prayed that Paul would just keep breathing. We asked for nothing more than that...just stay alive. Now look at him! In the scant 26 weeks since the horrible accident...Paul is here and doing unbelieveably well. It still is nothing short of miraculous.

I can see how it could be difficult to see the forest for the trees...but from where I sit, this is one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard. I feel so lucky to be an active spectator in such a glorious act of God's grace. It just blows me away!

Rebecca...I hope you have an especially enjoyable Mother's Day!

Connie from next door

Anonymous said...

One never tells middle-aged friends that you are "over the hill" but we'll continue to pray that this happens soon.

God bless all of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the background color and type change. Much easier to read and more positive than the black and white.