Monday, December 04, 2006

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow

My birthday was on Friday and what a great day it was. Now that we have passed the one year mark of Paul's accident, when we look back, we compare everything to what he was doing in the way of recovery at the time, instead of all that he had lost when we could only compare everything to "pre-accident". Last December 1st, I was so happy he could smile and I noticed that he seemed to be paralyzed on the left side of his face. It was one more thing on my list of "what was wrong - what was lost."

It is so incredible how God has moved us in our thinking, ever so gently, this last year. I don't think of how much he has lost, but what he has helped us gain. His sacrifices have helped us all gain a glimpse into this everlasting love of God. We have felt it, seen it, shared it in ways we might not have before. One year later, and I had to say again, I had the best birthday. This year, I got a phone call at work from Paul and he sang happy birthday to me! James called from Austria, my nephew Joseph called from Germany (which was absolutely the biggest surprise of the day!), Jon and Marie called (they are now in Austria with James) and the funniest call of all was from "Elvis". I answered the phone at work and I heard the song Happy Birthday being sung, and I sat there trying desparately to figure out who it was. I knew it was not any of my sons, but just couldn't figure out who it was. I thought for a split second - could it be a customer who knew that it was my birthday? I had no idea how anyone would know that- I didn't tell anyone. It was actually a little bit freaky! Then my brother said "Happy Birthday sis." I then recognized my brother Keith's voice and said something like, "I had no idea who this was........thank goodness it is you!" It was the fact that he was singing like Elvis that I didn't recognize his voice right away! I laughed out of joy and ....relief! I was also surprised he remembered, because my sister Bev's birthday is on December 8th, (Feast of the Immaculate Conception) and it has happened more than once that someone in our family will ask on December 1st - "Is it your birthday or Bev's?" My dad has actually called me 2 years in a row and has talked to me and hung up without saying Happy Birthday, then calls me on December 8th and says "I am so sorry, I forgot your birthday is on the 1st." I also received cards and gifts from friends at work and flowers from Jon. I truly appreciated all that God had given me in life, so visible in the love shared that day.

Later in the evening, I was most happy. Michael, Jon, Paul, Jerry and I went to visit Kathy and to pray for Chris. I had been thinking about them for the last couple of weeks and was upset we had not been back to pray with them. I had promised we would not forget them and I didn't want Kathy to think one more person would let her down. I called her on Thursday to see how they were doing and it turned out that Friday evening would be a good time for us to come and pray. So that is what we did. We visited for about an hour then said a rosary with them. When it came time to leave, we stood around Chris and prayed specifically for a complete recovery for him. Then Paul moved closer to Chris's wheelchair and stood right by his side. The wheelchair can be raised and it was lifted up high so that when we stand by it, Chris is level with us. Paul put his hand on the side of Chris's face and started to talk to him. It reminded me of the moments where Paul starts to talk to Jesus while he is praying the Stations of the Cross. It is as if no one else is around. Paul was telling Chris that he knew it was hard on him, and that it must be very confusing for Chris at this time. He told him to stay strong and that all the suffering he might be experiencing needed to be offered up to God for his own sins and quite possibly for his family's. He said that while we don't know how God is using the pain and suffering, Chris needs to stay strong and to keep fighting to get well. The whole time Paul was talking to Chris, he was softly touching the side of his face and his head, like a parent does a child when they are ill. Jerry, Jon, and I were the only ones with Paul as he was having this 'one on one' with Chris and we just looked over at each other and knew what the other one was thinking. It was exactly like the moments Paul has while praying the Stations of the Cross, where he is oblivious to everything around him. Paul prayed that God would heal Chris, even if it took a miracle. As we left, Paul hugged me and thanked me for bringing them. He said that he has learned that prayers will help the whole family during this time.

I had scheduled an hour of adoration from 11PM to 12 Midnight, we left and stopped at my sister's house for an hour. Then Jon and I went to Corpus Christi and it was a very peaceful end to a most wonderful day. When I got home, there were more cards from Michael and Paul, Jerry, his mother Judy, and Anne. There were also yellow roses from Paul. He told me the next day that he remembered me saying I liked yellow roses, so that is what he got me. They are still sitting in front of the Blessed Mary's statute in our front room.

When I was a little girl, for the weeks leading into my birthday, I would watch the weather and look out my window each morning. I had a little prayer each year that God would send snow before my birthday. In Wisconsin and Utah, it was always answered! This year, my mom and brother Jim called (from Wisconsin)and emailed me to let me know that the weather warnings of some snow were updated to warnings of a blizzard. My mom is visiting my brother and she said they were up at 5 AM drinking coffee and watching the beginings of the snow storm. Once again........I got snow on my birthday as my mom sat describing how beautfiful it was as it was coming down, covering everything in white. God is SO COOL !!

Just as I waited in anticipation of snow..........I wait for Jesus, the Christ child. As St. Paul writes in Thessalonians 5:14-17 -
"We urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, cheer the fainthearted, support the weak, be patient with all. See that no one returns evil for evil; rather, always seek what is good [both] for each other and for all. Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing."

Luke 21:36
"Be vigilant at all times."

As we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Savior, let us be vigilant to see Christ in whatever good is done for us and to allow others to see Him in the good we do for others.

Our new liturgical year has begun. As the snow gently covers the earth, let us begin anew our efforts of covering the earth with the Good News of Jesus Christ.
For it 'tis the season'.

Peace in Christ, brothers and sisters,
Jon and Rebecca

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 29th birthday! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Rebecca! My mom's was on Dec.2nd! It sounds like a beautiful day you had with your family. Paul-you are so kind and thoughtful to remember that your mom liked yellow roses!! :)

Anonymous said...

God gives us the gift of joy when we choose to follow him with all our heart. He is who makes us so happy! Birthdays are so special because they remind us of what life is all about. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, first of all my husband, Mike and I were so deeply touched by your Magnificat talk. Keith sent the transcript (thank you, again!) and after reading it I forwarded it to Mike at work. When I got an email back that morning I was so surprised that he had read it already, considering his busy schedule. I think he was drawn in like I was and it was hard to walk away from the computer.
I just wrote Marissa (also in Austria) and told her about your family's visit with Kathy and prayer and Paul's "one on one" with Chris. I am reminded of another Paul who encouraged the Corinthians and all of us with the words, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God. For as Christ's sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow. If we are afflicted, it is for your encouragement and salvation; if we are encouraged, it is for your encouragement, which enables you to endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is firm, for we know that as you share in the sufferings, you also share in the encouragement." (2 Cor. 1:3-7)
Thank you St. Paul, thank you Paul, thank you Rebecca,Jon,Jerry, and Michael for being 'living epistles' read by all and for carrying our hearts and prayers with you when you minister in Christ's name to Kathy, Chris and others the Lord brings your way.
I woke up very early but the house is quiet and I have time to meditate on some excerpts from the Word Among Us on St. Catherine of Siena and Elisabeth Leseur and rereading yesterday's blog and the Scripture that you quoted Rebecca from Thessalonians, I sense the Lord is saying something specifically to me through that and once again thank you for taking the time to share...
Lastly, a belated Happy Birthday!
Love and blessings, Mary Mayo

Anonymous said...

What an awesome family. Happy Birthday, Rebecca.

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is the way to celebrate a birthday!!!

I hope you have many many more, and share them with all of us!

Connie