Saturday, August 12, 2006

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the Music

Kathy and Ann Hennessy at dinner with us to celebrate Paul's feeding tube removed.







Michael, Jerry, Paul and Jon






The days truly got away from me this week! I don't mean to keep everyone in suspense, or cause concern that we took a downward turn. We definitely did not do that this week!

Yesterday marked the 9th month since the accident - 8/11/2006. I had called to make an appointment this past week with the gastroenterologist. I wanted to see if they could remove Paul's feeding tube this next week. They asked if I could come in on Friday at 2 PM. I didn't expect to get in that early and gladly agreed to that date. It wasn't until mid morning on Friday that I realized it was 8/11 and that we were exactly 9 months away from 11/11/05. I had been told that it would hurt Paul when they took out the tube, as it is just pulled out. No anesthesia, no stitches, just pulled out. I didn't know how much I should warn Paul, and decided that too much information might cause him to be stressed. I told him that it would be a bit uncomfortable and left it at that. He woke up feeling very sluggish. Jerry came to the house to take James and Paul to the 9 AM Mass and he too noticed that Paul was not having a good day. I left for work and kept calling throughout the day to see if Paul had improved much and was told he didn't seem to have much energy. I debated about whether to change the appointment time to the following week. Then I remembered that he was starting rehab on Monday and felt that it would be better to let the hole left by the tube to have plenty of time to heal. I did not change the time. I came home to get Paul and did not let on how much I was dreading the appointment, anticipating having to watch Paul go through more pain. The feeding tube had been in a long time and I was concerned it would not come out easily after all this time. Jerry, James, Paul and I stood by the car before we left and prayed that all would go well and that there would be no problem. Paul was unusually quiet and I was not sure if it was because he was thinking about the appointment, or was just not feeling well. He said his head was hurting a lot and that was all that was wrong. James finished with a prayer to our Guardian Angels and then we left. We walked into the doctor's office and thanks be to God, the nurse was right there ready to take us back to the room. No time to sit and stew anymore about it! It would be done immediately. The doctor didn't come in for about 5 minutes, so I put my hand on Paul's shoulder and prayed quietly, then Paul took my hand and began to pray out loud. He said the Hail Mary and asked God to help him handle any pain. The doctor came in and explained to Paul that he was going to feel some discomfort and that he was going to just pull it out. It would only take a couple of seconds. Paul said, "Okay,go for it." In 2 seconds the tube was out and Paul barely winced. The doctor said, "There we go, it's done." Very calmly and simply, Paul said, "That was easy enough." I was stunned that it was over and there had been no pain experienced! The doctor put a bandaid on Paul's stomach, told us not to let him eat for a couple of hours and he would be fine. He could swim after a day or so and do what he wanted! Paul and I left and it felt like we were floating along on a cloud...........after all this time, no more feeding tube! I was so joyous and relieved to have a very visible sign of 'moving recovery forward'! We got outside and it seemed like the breeze was cooler than it had been, the clouds were brilliant and the sky was so blue. I held on tightly to my tears until I got into the car. I turned to Paul, and with tears flowing down my face I said, "Either we had a very good doctor or God's hand was holding you tightly! I was told it would hurt you, not for long, but would hurt kind of badly when the tube was pulled out and to be ready for it. That was a cake-walk!" Paul said, "It was probably a bit of both, but mostly God." I started to drive down the street and we passed Gwinnett Medical Center. I stopped at the stop sign and as I looked to my left it dawned on me that only 9 months ago, my sister Mary Beth, Michael, James (nephew) and I were coming from that direction with terror in our hearts as we raced to the hospital, fearing the worst kind of news once we got to the emergency room. 9 months later, almost to the hour, I was heading away from the hospital, looking down that same street, with Paul at my side and the very last of the 8 tubes that had been in him to save his life, had been withdrawn. He was on his own, with God so visibly leading the way! I could not drive because of the tears of joy and thankfulness filling my eyes. I could not see clearly to go on. Paul patted my shoulder and he thought that I was upset and said everything would be fine. I explained that I was so happy in comparison to how I felt 9 months earlier, coming down that street towards the hospital. It was too much for me to bear in that moment how awesome God had been to our family and how much has happened in so short a time. I then realized that there might be cars behind me waiting to make their turns and gratefully saw I had not held up traffic! We continued on home and Paul called his brother Jon to let him know he was done with his feeding tube, then he called his dad. I had Paul dial my sister Mary Beth to let her know, since she had been with me on the ride to the hospital. She needed to share in the complete joy I was feeling - she had earned that after sharing the complete fear and sadness 9 months earlier!! I mentioned to Paul that after 9 months..........he had delivered a tube! He laughed and said it was a 'male tube'.

We went out to dinner with Jerry and also Kathy Hennessy and Ann Hennessy to celebrate this milestone. Now to explain the wonderful timing of God and why the Hennessy's were here.

A couple of weeks ago, when Jon and Marie were here, we had Fr. Jack to dinner while all the California Fids were visiting. Fr. Jack mentioned that he was interviewing people for the position of Director of Religious Education at his new parish, St. Monica's. Marie said that her younger sister, Ann, had just graduated from Magdalen College and was looking for a job. Her background and experience might be a good match with the position that had to be filled. Fr. Jack called Ann and she was hired. She and her mother drove down this week and arrived on Thursday. Ann will live at our house until she gets her bearings and finds a permanent residence. We are so happy she will be with us. I had so much fun getting her room ready, as I was able to let my 'feminine side flow!" She is as cheery and wonderful as her sister Marie! Kathy and I have had a great time visiting - we haven't really talked since the wedding in January, so there has been plenty to talk about. I was so thankful to God that they were here for Paul's celebration. I know also that Paul will benefit greatly having Ann here. She is very knowledgeable about our Catholic faith and can lead Paul along in his every growing spirituality. (Michael may actually benefit more!)

This morning, as I was trying to get the posting done before Kathy, Ann and I left for a women's prayer breakfast (The Atlanta chapter of Magnificat), Paul came down at 8:11 and he was dressed very nicely. I was shocked that he had gotten up and dressed by himself without the usual prodding. I asked what he was doing and he said, "I'm going to Mass." I commented on how great he looked and he did a few dance moves and asked if I noticed his flat stomach. I said I surely had! I sat thinking for a moment about how different Paul seemed in that moment. I believe that his having the feeding tube added to the overall mindset that Paul was somewhat of an invalid. I think he must have felt like one, having to depend on that tube. His dance demonstrated the feelings of freedom I was already feeling! He has done great with drinking all that he needs today and is staying active. When we got home from the breakfast, Paul was playing the piano and asked if I got his text message while I was gone. I had not. I looked at my phone and he had sent me a message that said, "Dearest Mother, God bless you and the Hennessies. Have fun with them. Also, thank you tons for teaching me about God. Let's stay holy ;) Love Paully" You can count on that Paul, since that has been a constant prayer of mine.

From Proverbs 23:18 - "You will surely have a future, and your hope will not be cut off."

Looking to the future with faith, hope and love,
Jon and Rebecca

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got teary eyed reading this beautiful blog. Nine months have definitely passed somewhat difficultly, but what a beautiful outcome for Paul and your family! I am in awe of God's mercy and generosity in helping Paul heal so amazingly - anyone who remembers seeing or reading about Paul in the hospital must surely dance with joy seeing him or reading this blog now! May God be praised! You all remain in my prayers and close to my heart!
with love in Christ,
geneva

Anonymous said...

I am so happy the feeding tube is gone!

Anonymous said...

what a great story! i love reading your blog and i continue to receive so much hope from it.....may Paul continue to make great strides in his healing!!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed at what the last 9 months has brought to you and all of us. Just imagine the next 9 months. A full recovery sure seems possible..doesn't it?

There still needs to be a concert on your deck...with Paul on lead guitar!

Connie from next door

Anonymous said...

Ann, welcome to the Fidero House!! We are sure you will find it quite comforting. We sure did. Besides, if things get a little crowded, we know Bob and Barb have a great room upstairs (jk).

Paul, keep up the good work!!! You are amazing and we are so proud of your accomplishments in the past 9 months.

We miss you all!!

With lots of love,

The Fidsnkids

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for his wonderous works!