Wednesday, November 26, 2008

WAKE UP LITTLE ................

I had that song, 'Wake Up Little Susie' in my head this morning as I reflected on this date, 11/26.
Jon and I were at Mass this morning and I whispered to him that this was the date when Paul woke up from his coma, 3 years ago. During Mass, I remembered the huge joy that erupted in our home that day. It was 6:30 AM when the phone rang. I was frozen in fear when it rang, since it was too early for family to call us. I will never forget Jon running out into the hallway shouting, "Paul is awake! Paul is responding!" The boys came racing out of their rooms and joined all the yelling and laughing. Within 10 minutes they were bolting out the door to go see their brother.

So I sat there this morning, in the quiet of the sanctuary, with that song going on in my head. The words of the responsorial after the first reading brought me back.

GREAT AND WONDERFUL ARE ALL YOUR WORKS, LORD, MIGHTY GOD! (RV 15:3)

"Let the sea and what fills it resound, the world and those who dwell in it;
Let the rivers clap their hands, the mountains shout with them for joy."
(Psalm 98)

As I sat there, I dwelled on the fact that I too needed to wake up from the darkness that I can slip into. I remember wanting to be the most holy person on earth that day, after God had done such great deeds for our family. I was determined to show Him my love and devotion all the rest of my days. As I sat in church this morning, 3 years later, I reflected on the fact that I had not kept my promise very well. At this time of year, when everyone takes stock of all that they are thankful for, I was thinking how long my list is. With all the blessings we have - our faith, jobs, health, home, family - I wish I had been able to keep my promise to God on that day, 3 years ago. I prayed that I too would be woken up to see with greater clarity, the Light of Jesus.
The end of the Gospel from today states, "You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance, you will secure your lives." So, once again, with great prayerfulness and hope, I will work at being the holy person God so wants me to be.

After Mass, I read the meditation of the day, written by St. Paulinus, a friend of Sts. Ambrose, Martin of Tours and Augustine. Paul's accident was on 11/11, which is the feast day of St. Martin of Tours and today's meditation was written by St. Paulinus. Very cool, I thought to myself.

Perseverance as Service
" From the beginning of the world, Christ has been suffering in all His people; for he is the beginning and the end, veiled in the law, revealed in the Gospel, the Lord ever wonderful in His saints, in whom He both suffers and triumphs. In Abel He was killed by his brother, in Noah mocked by his son, in Abraham a sojourner, in Isaac offered in sacrifice, in Jacob a servant, in Joseph sold, in Moses exposed and put to flight, in the prophets stoned and sawn in two, in the apostles buffeted on land and sea, and in the many varied torments of the blessed martyrs put to death time and again.

And it is the same Lord who endures our sufferings and sorrows today. He identified himself with the human race and so has continually borne the mal-treatment inflicted upon us; for He knows how to endure suffering, which without Him we cannot and know not how to endure. It is He, I say, who continues to withstand the world in us and for us today, so that , overcoming it by His patient endurance, He may bring His power to perfection in weakness. He it is who suffers the taunts you endure, and by hating you this world is hating Him.

Consider the position from which we fell in the beginning and you will realize that it is by the design of God's wisdom and love that we are being restored to life. In Adam we were destroyed by pride and therefore, we are humbled in Christ so as to wash away the guilt of that ancient crime by practicing the opposite virtue, having offended by arrogance, we win approval by service."

I will continue in service by helping Paul move closer to all God intends for him. As always, I continue to learn from Paul. His humility, his incredible love for everyone he comes into contact with, his acceptance of his disabilities, his patience with the pain he has each day. And today, I am most thankful for his example of hope and joy, knowing that God woke him on that day after whispering in his soul. Paul knows this with a certainty and this knowledge moves him forward each day. As we prayed the other day, he told me that he knows God hears his prayers and that he has to wait for the answers. He is hoping that there will be a day when he can be a great husband and father, but also that if God has a different life for him, he wants what God wants.

Oh God, hear my prayer today.............wake me up and help me continue in humble service, with a greater desire for holiness, so your love will be known to all I encounter. Wake up our world and those who lead our nations, so that your light and love will be the example all your children can follow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. We are blessed with your prayers and your lives.
God bless you and keep you awake and aware of His great love.

Love,
Jon and Rebecca

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The end of the Gospel from today states, "You will be hated by all because of my name, but not a hair on your head will be destroyed. By your perseverance, you will secure your lives." So, once again, with great prayerfulness and hope, I will work at being the holy person God so wants me to be.

Thank you for these words, for you sharing your journey. It continues to be an inspiration to me. Most especially today, I needed to hear these words above, how true the first words are and how I needed to hear the latter part of the end of the Gospel.

May God continue to bless your family with such love of life, family, and faith. We count our blessings, too.

Anonymous said...

Joy to the world! The Lord has come indeed! May your family be blessed with renewed faith, love, courage, and joy in the year to come. Truly wishing you all the best in 2009, and looking forward to sharing in your lives and your faith story via this blog. Always looking forward to your next installment!

Anonymous said...

Miss you all. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Christ is Risen, Alleluia!
God's blessings to the Fidero Family this Easter.

qwe said...

he response is Gucci Handbags yes. The French fashion house has confirmed the Brit model because the face of that Boy Chanel handbag collection. [Karl Lagerfeld] has a crush during this unique, charismatic gal, who is both a model and musician, in a photo shoot a while ago, Chanel told WWD. This previously unforeseen alliance finally became self-evident. Alice Dellal represents an ideal incarnation of the which is unique around the Boy Chanel handbag collection, which strives [to be] definately not conformist notions of femininity.
Yep, Dellal is not really conventional Miu Miu Handbags. As well as her trademark punk-rock uniform, the petite 24-year-old is a drummer in the band Thrush Metal and will turn out to be found larking around the streets based in london with Pixie Geldof Christian Louboutin pumps. Shes far from blonde bombshell Blake Lively, whos the prevailing face of Chanels Mademoiselle range, but Lagerfeld is recognized for his eclectic taste, previously casting Lily Allen for your Cocoon bag range in '09 Christian Louboutin Sandals. Furthermore, Alice's androgyny will work brilliantly together with the 'Boy' collection Juicy Couture Handbags. How refreshing. Chanel Handbags

Annie said...

Moncler Jackets Sale
Moncler Boots Women
Moncler Kids
Moncler Kids Sale
Moncler Men Coats
Moncler Men Jackets
Moncler Men T-Shirt
Moncler Men Vests
Moncler Scarf&Caps
Moncler Sweater Men
Moncler Sweater Women
Moncler Women Coats
Moncler Women Jackets
Moncler Women Vests