Thursday, December 20, 2007

Hope Till We See His Face

On Monday night the phone rang at 11:35 PM. Like most people, a late night phone call strikes fear into the heart. I picked up my cell phone and immediately my heart filled with joy instead. It was our son, Jon. I knew instantly why he was calling. And I was right. Our grandchild was on the way. He told me that, hopefully, we would be grandparents by morning. Marie had been in labor for quite awhile and they wanted to make sure it was the real thing before calling everyone. He asked us to pray for them and then the waiting began.

It was so late that I could not really call anyone to ask for prayers. I woke up James and Michael and asked them to please say a rosary for Marie and the baby. Paul was staying at Jerry's, so I called him. I knew he would be awake since he still has trouble falling asleep at night. He was awake and said he would start his rosary prayers right away. I called my sister Mary Beth and left a voice mail on her cell phone to please pray when she got the message. I thought she might still be up. Then Jon and I sat in our room, with only the moon bringing light through the windows and we said our rosary. I noted it was 11:55, and said happily, "Oh good, the Joyous Mysteries!".

We tried to sleep after that, but it was almost impossible. I had my rosary in my hand all night and my cell phone in the other! At 5 A.M. Jon took my cell phone and told me he would get it recharged........smile. He's a good man. He brought me my coffee and we sat talking for a little while about how tough it is to wait this out and how exciting it was. We went to the 6:30 A.M. Mass and I prayed with great fervency for the health and well being of the baby and strength for Marie. I had turned my cell phone ringer off, but left it sitting in the pew next to me so I would know if the baby was born while we were in Mass. It did not ring. The waiting continued. It struck me immediately during Mass that there was no better example for people to have about longing for Jesus, than what we were experiencing that morning. I asked God in that moment and I have asked Him numerous times since, to help me have an even greater longing for Christ. I dwelled on the thought about how I need to long for the sight of His face in everyone, to long for His words to bring truth in my life, to long for the love that is perfect. In this season of Advent, it is the gift we should all hope for. An even greater love for Jesus and the longing to know Him and serve Him. I completely forgot about the fact that I was waiting for my wonderful first grandchild and sat there, lost in conversation with God. I prayed fervently for this world to receive this gift of longing for the Christ Child and His love. By the time I received Communion, I was so joyous that I had a hard time keeping the tears wiped from my face. My life was so perfect in that moment of receivng the Body of Christ and realizing we are offered Christmas morning every single day. How precious the gift of Our Lord, Jesus. How tragic that the churches are not overflowing with people waiting to receive their daily bread, their gift from heaven. When I think about this perfect gift, given with perfect humility and love, why do I stay away? How do I let life keep me away? How do I let life get in the way? I am so easily preoccupied. Knowing full well my weakness, I have prayed with greater urgency in these past few days that I receive the best gift of all - the desire with my whole being to be more completely in love and union with Jesus.

By early morning, the extended family knew what the Fidero and Hennessy families were anxiously waiting to hear. The emails and phone calls were continuous. It was pretty tough having to wait until 1:00 PM to learn that a new baby boy had come into our lives. I stood outside on a sidewalk, crying as I got the news. I was with my sister Beverly and my friend Meredith Tarantino. We had met for lunch. I immediately called Jon and I could hardly stop crying. One reason was because I was not with him. I told him that it made me remember how we were not together when we learned the news Jon and Marie were expecting a child. Now we were again separated when we got this 'huge' news. Again, lots of phone calls as Beverly and I contacted everyone we could think of and whose phone numbers we had. I had to go back to work and when I got there, I told my supervisor that I honestly didn't think I would be able to get much done and promised that I would be careful to not make any mistakes! After work, all the boys, Jon, Matt Velker and I met at a restaurant and celebrated the birth of
"little Jon Fidero".

As always..........pictures will be posted later when I have time. This is the worst time of year for me at work, since everyone is out driving while preoccupied. Lots of accidents to handle and it is a crisis indeed for these people since most of them are heading to their families and friends in other towns. I have hardly had a moment to my name. We are also preparing to leave to visit Jon, Marie and Baby Jon. Paul is so excited since he will be the Godfather. He has talked alot about how he will be there to help his nephew learn all the stuff little boys need to know. I am sure he will share his love of Jesus with this baby boy too. The most perfect gift of all.

Hope when the sun is setting,
Hope through the dark of night;
Hope though the moon is waning,
Hope as we long for light.
Hope for the coming Savior,
Hope through the heart's slow race;
Hope for the kingdom's dawning,
Hope till we see His face!

At this time, I would like to ask a favor of everyone who is reading this. While we celebrate the birth of our grandson, there is a woman who has followed our story and who has asked for prayers for her granddaughter. The child's name is Cecelia and she is 19 months old. She has had to have a shunt put in, but it has not seemed to help. There are other complicating illnesses this baby girl is suffering from and I remember well how hard it is to watch a child suffer - so I know how difficult this has to be for this family. I ask that you bring the gift of your prayer for this child and family to the Baby Jesus. He will hear and answer them.

I know that all of you have very special intentions in your heart and so I want to say, that while I can't know them all, Jesus does. As we approach Christmas, I'll be praying that Jesus will look with great love and mercy on all your needs. I hope and pray that we all receive the gift of a more perfect love of the Child, Jesus, thereby turning our desire towards the gift of true life.

Glory be to the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Fidero,

This is Thomas Zieg.

Be sure to tell Jon and Marie congratulations from me! I hope they are all doing well. The timing is uncanny because my wife and I had our first child (a daughter) in October.

I have been really glad to see that Paul is doing better. We are praying for you all. Also, be sure to write if he is on EWTN!

Congrationlations, again.

Thomas

Anonymous said...

Glory be to God! How wonderful to welcome a new baby into your family during the season of Advent while we watch and wait. Our very best wishes to Jon & Marie and baby John, and all the Fideros and Hennesseys. Joy to the world, indeed!

Anonymous said...

awww!! Rebecca, I am in tears! I am so happy for you and your family. Congratulations, Grandma! You are going to be the best! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from the Dunleavys in Wyoming! We are also glad to continue to read of Paul's improvement. God is good!

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

You must be a very special child of God...He gave you a great example of "waiting" during Advent. You having to wait a long for your grandson to be born is a little like all of us preparing and waiting for Jesus during Advent...

Congratulations!

Carol Rehonic

Andrea said...

Congratulations Grandma and the rest of the family! Your title to this post is perfect and I love how you compare waiting to see your grandson to waiting to see Jesus. Great analogy indeed.

Anonymous said...

Well, Grandma and Grandpa...I'm guessing you aren't surprised that the baby is a BOY!!!! It is wonderful wonderful news...and I eagerly await the posted pictures of Jon!

What a wonderful Christmas present!

Connie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! from all the Sheas. I was beginning to wonder when we'd hear the great news, even I was waiting with baited breath as the due date came and went! You have such a beautiful way of drawing analogies Rebecca, like a poet, who makes everything more real and clear by your desciptions and word pictures. Thanks for helping us to focus on the joy of waiting on the perfect gift- Jesus! Tell Jon and Marie we are very excited for them and know they will be great parents.