Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Circle Game


My sister Beverly's
first grandson, Peyton

He is the first child of
my Godchild, Becca

He is the first great-
granchild for both
families.

That makes him #1 in
our book!






This picture was supposed
to be on a posting from last
week.

Griffin - you are our #1
baseball player and #1
in your city!!
(Yes.......Jon and Paul
are wishing they could
have been on a great team
like yours when they were
your age!)




The Circle Game
________________

Yesterday a child came out to wonder
Caught a dragonfly inside a jar
Fearful when the sky was full of thunder
And tearful at the falling of a star
Then the child moved ten times round the seasons
Skated over ten clear frozen streams
Words like, when youre older, must appease him
And promises of someday make his dreams
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We cant return we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game

So the years spin by and now the boy is twenty
Though his dreams have lost some grandeur coming true
There'll be new dreams, maybe better dreams and plenty
Before the last revolving year is through
And the seasons they go round and round
And the painted ponies go up and down
We're captive on the carousel of time
We cant return, we can only look behind
From where we came
And go round and round and round
In the circle game - Joni Mitchell

___________________________________
I thought of this song today as I watched Jon and Paul drive down the street and away to Charlotte. Paul's headaches had started to climb up again and I called the doctor's office to see what they wanted to do. They asked us to bring Paul up there on Thursday, which was a lot shorter notice than I anticipated. They called while I was driving Paul home from work on Tuesday. I quickly called Jon and he said he could get the time off from work, so he would take him. Then I remembered that we were supposed to try to get Paul to Virginia so he could visit with Jon and Marie. Jon had mentioned that maybe we could do an 'exchange' if Paul had to come to Charlotte. With such short notice, I didn't think we were giving Jon enough notice to come down from Virginia. Paul immediately called Jon and asked if he would be able to meet him there. Thanks be to God, he was going to be able to do it.

Paul's excitement level jumped and he was happy as a lark. His headache 'miraculously' lessoned and when he got home he went straight to his laundry basket and started to sort out the clothes so he could get his clothes washed and ready to pack. I took note of this immediate change in him and decided we might need to talk to the doctor about the fact that there is probably some psychological contributions to the headaches. Paul spent most of yesterday afternoon getting his things packed. He even wrote out a list of the things he needed to take and he made a listing of the things that Abby needed as well. You didn't think he was going to leave Abby home did you?? He kicked into high gear and was ready to go by 9:30 last night. We were at Jerry's and talked a lot about how far Paul has come and that we hoped there was no major problem that was bringing his headaches back. We hoped too that they would not keep him and run tests. That would keep him from going to Virginia.

So back to my song. I realized that in the Fall of 2005, Jon and I talked about what we would do with our lives once Michael graduated. He would be gone in a year and 1/2 and we could not believe our house would be empty so soon. Then the accident happened and our dreams of moving into the next phase of our lives came to a halt. We didn't even talk about it again until the Spring of 2006. We had no idea if Paul would ever talk again, or be able to really function much. He was still on the feeding tube, not talking, not remembering much of each day. I remember telling Jon that I had selfishly prayed to God in the weeks after the accident, to not leave us just a 'body'. I was very afraid about Paul dying and also of Paul not ever being able to function in a 'purposeful' fashion. How grateful I am that God didn't listen to me and that Paul is still alive. Amazingly, I actually found a peace about the fact that we could very well have to tend to Paul all of his life. I am not saying that because he has recovered so well. I truly felt it in my heart because so many things changed for us and they were all so good. We received the awesome gift of increased faith and a deepened love of God. Over all this time, we have settled into our routine of getting Paul moved ahead in his rehabilitation and each day brings the promise of hope and trust. Each day brings improvement in a number of ways.

But here is the incredible part. I walked to my car to go to work, tears running down my face as I watched Paul leaving. He was going to begin about a month long stay with Jon and Marie. Only 20 months and the very thing Jon and I dreamed about in the Fall of 2005 was actually happening on almost the very day it was originally supposed to happen. We will be empty nesters right on schedule. Michael leaves for Piedmont College on Sunday, James leaves for Ave Maria University on Tuesday and Jon and I will be..............alone.

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. " (2 Peter 3:9)

God's time, God's way. There is your 'visual aid' my dear friends.

I opened the door to my car and sat there crying at the marvelous, beautiful love of Our Father.

Last Saturday as we walked around Stone Mountain, we prayed the rosary in its entirety. All 20 decades. We went round and round the rosary beads while we circled Stone Mountain. There were five of us - Jon, Paul, Patty, Mark and me. We had each taken a decade to lead the others in prayer. At the 5th Sorrowful Mystery, it was Paul's turn. Patty suggested we stop and sit on a stone wall to pray that decade so we could really reflect on the mystery. The Crucifixtion of Jesus, the fruit of the mystery is perseverance. Paul was using the wrist rosary he has worn on his arm for over a year now. But as we sat down, he pulled out the rosary that Mother Angelica had given him and I immediately noticed how beautiful his fingers looked as he gently removed the beads from the case they were in. I then remembered how I used to love watching his fingers as he played the cello and his guitar. I also remembered how sad it made me when I realized he was not as interested in playing like he used to. I have 'talked' to God about that alot, wondering why Paul had the most amazing ability to play the guitar, yet no longer seemed interested. Why have such a talent? As I watched his fingers gently hold and move the beads as he prayed, I thought to myself that I would much rather see Paul's fingers moving over the rosary beads than over the strings of a guitar. I was at peace about something I had argued with God about.

May God be with you and bless you. Your intentions are with us as we 'circle around' our rosaries.
Love,
Jon and Rebecca

4 comments:

Andrea said...

So nice to meet you tonight Rebecca! Carol told me to visit your blog as I haven't yet been to Maria's guest house and you have pictures posted (I've been to the temple-just not Maria's). I'll be adding you to my links and stopping by as often as I can...feel free to visit me anytime as well!

Anonymous said...

I can picture Paul's beautiful hands and fingers gently touching the beads of Mary. Just as she must have pictured us meditating on her son's life. Thank you for that visual aid.
MB

Anonymous said...

I just love you so, Rebecca! Your words are awesome. and i love how you notice God working in all things. if i need spiritual strength i come here to you to read your words and feel better. and the new baby is so beautiful! just think-not much longer and YOU will be the grandma! oh, you will love it so much. my mom says it's much funner being the grandma than the mom. hehe. :) ya know, you get to send the kid home and all. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm betting it feels wierd and quiet at your house today...Wednesday...

However, this is just a temporary lull. You can bet that your sons, daughter-in-law, their friends, neighbors, clasmates, co-workers, etc will converge back onto Fidero Manor at every opportunity.

The quiet you have right now might just be your chance to rest, recoup and get ready for the next exciting thing that God intends for all of you.

And...from experience, I can tell you...its a strange thing to have an empty nest. The house stays clean and the food in the refrigerator is still there the next day..how 'bout that?!?!?!?

Bless all of you...